annealing copper

DSN_KLR650
TLrydr@aol.com

tank bag

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Mon Nov 20, 2000 12:11 pm

Thanks Steve, I took The torn Kaw. tank bag that Steve gave me to a local upholstery shop, The owner belongs to a local motorcycle club. But he said he would look at it and see if it can be fixed and improved upon, I will let everyone no as soon as i get it back, Sometime this week,,,, He said he may have to take the plastic cover off (map cover) and stitch something that was stronger, Well see,,,, Thanks again Steve, well will see how the project goes..................... Mike

Steve Thomas

tank bag

Post by Steve Thomas » Wed Jan 10, 2001 12:44 pm

Does anyone out there have a wolfman explorer tank bag they would like to sell? I'm also looking for some saddle bags, any recommendations? Thanks, Steve Emerson, AR A14 Killer (KLR)

k650dsn@aol.com

tank bag

Post by k650dsn@aol.com » Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:48 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Steve Thomas" wrote:
> Does anyone out there have a wolfman explorer tank bag they would
like to
> sell? I'm also looking for some saddle bags, any recommendations? > > Thanks, Steve > Emerson, AR > A14 Killer (KLR)
I swear by Ortleib dry bags. Gino

punkynsquirt@cs.com

tank bag

Post by punkynsquirt@cs.com » Wed Jan 10, 2001 2:07 pm

Hey Steve with the Killer. How about signing K[b]I[/b]L[b]LE[/b]R A-14? Lew Waterman Punky & Lew's Americas Motopaseo Greenacres, Florida A-14 "Critter"

Ralph Hanson

tank bag

Post by Ralph Hanson » Wed Jan 10, 2001 4:46 pm

Steve writes:
>Does anyone out there have a wolfman explorer tank bag they would like to >sell? I'm also looking for some saddle bags, any recommendations? > >Thanks, Steve >Emerson, AR >A14 Killer (KLR) >
I use the Ortlieb original dry bags with Tim's original sideracks. I've mounted them permanently under the seat. The back strap runs where the seat matches up with the back of the bike. That way I don't have a strap going over the voltage thingamagummy. I've been very happy with this setup, adding only a dry bag duffle when I travel. Up front I have one of the excellent Cycoactive barpacks. It has a great map case, a small pouch and a couple of pockets. No substitute for a tank bag if you want to carry much, but I use the saddle bags to carry things. Ralph Ralph E. Hanson rhanson40@... 99 KRL 650 http://www.wvu.edu/~journal2

Porter, David

tank bag

Post by Porter, David » Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:23 am

I would be interested in the tank bag. Would it flop around in the dirt or is it a tight fit? David C. Porter Pegasus Solutions, Inc. Director of Tax Phone: 602-395-1758 Fax: 602-861-7630 -----Original Message----- From: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 10:01 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Digest Number 1131 Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ There are 25 messages in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1. Is 4" too big? From: "Rich Kickbush" 2. Re: Re: KLR Newbie From: Ted Palmer 3. Re: Is 4" too big? From: "Tom Komjathy" 4. For Sale Bags From: "Enlow, Kyle S" 5. Fallen Bike Link From: Brad Davis 6. Africa Twin Importer? NKLR From: jeffeyj@... 7. klr parts! From: dan_iss@... 8. New Bike From: "Dave Morrow" 9. Carb Diaphragm help From: "Dave Morrow" 10. Re: Shipping a bike From: "Swede" 11. Re: For sale, accessories for KLR 650 From: Alex Sfakianos 12. Re: shifting problem From: les123@... 13. Re: Carb Diaphragm help From: Mark 14. Bleeding Brakes From: "Robert J. Kaub" 15. RE: Bleeding Brakes From: Bogdan Swider 16. HELMETS From: "Thomas Baumen" 17. Re: Is 4" too big? From: George Basinet 18. RE: Re: What's Blue? From: "Zachariah Mully" 19. Helmet Shelf Life From: "Robert J. Kaub" 20. New Bike - Tools From: dnicholls@... 21. Chain Oilers From: dnicholls@... 22. Re: Is 4" too big? From: "Rich Kickbush" 23. Re: Helmet Shelf Life From: "Rich Kickbush" 24. Shipping a bike From: "L" 25. Re: Chain Oilers From: "Steve Pye" ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 1 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:11:48 -0800 From: "Rich Kickbush" Subject: Is 4" too big? Someone posted something a while ago about scraping their tool carrier with their front tyre when it bottomed. Wondering if this means 4" sched. 40 ABS pipe would be too big in that case - mounting it with the MSR bash plate and Tims highway pegs, pretty much in the middle of the two. My dealer thinks the forks may flex a little, making measuring with the fork springs out not totally accurate. Looking at it though, the closest a tube is going to come to the tire is at max compression, and I would expect the least amount of flex then, as one tube is inside the other. I'm sure he's on crack this time. Anyone know who it was that had a 4" rubbing and how they had it mounted? Rich Circumference is everything... PS I know a lot of people have this mounted, but not too many bottom out their forks too often. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 2 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:43:50 +1000 From: Ted Palmer Subject: Re: Re: KLR Newbie Mark wrote:
> Would just like to say Thanks to all the folks that have provided > answers both on and off line. However the oil question seemed to > touch a nerve.
On just about every list and newsgroup that involves engines of some sort.
> After some of the responses that I received and doing > a search on oil... I've concluded that this is a very controversial > subject. But, looking into the groups file database section on oils. > I was disappointed to find that out of the 1200+ members, only 19 > have made entries.
Most people realise that arguing over oil choice is rather futile. Most of the various theories and practices would have been espoused by the 19 entrants at some stage, leaving the readers to decide for themselves. Mister_T ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 3 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:56:36 +0100 From: "Tom Komjathy" Subject: Re: Is 4" too big? Hi Rich I did it on mine and took it off, for now. I think with the front end set up a little stiffer this wouldn't be a problem. When I didn't max breaking with it the front tire contacted the plastic tube and locked the front wheel. I think it has more to do with fork flex than anything else. VR Tom K.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Kickbush" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 11:11 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Is 4" too big? > Someone posted something a while ago about scraping their tool carrier with their front tyre when it bottomed. Wondering if this means 4" sched. 40 ABS pipe would be too big in that case - mounting it with the MSR bash plate and Tims highway pegs, pretty much in the middle of the two. My dealer thinks the forks may flex a little, making measuring with the fork springs out not totally accurate. Looking at it though, the closest a tube is going to come to the tire is at max compression, and I would expect the least amount of flex then, as one tube is inside the other. I'm sure he's on crack this time. Anyone know who it was that had a 4" rubbing and how they had it mounted? > > Rich > Circumference is everything... > > PS I know a lot of people have this mounted, but not too many bottom out their forks too often. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 4 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:16:23 -0500 From: "Enlow, Kyle S" Subject: For Sale Bags I have the Kawai tank bag and saddle bags new I would like to sell. Saddle bags new $138.95 my price $100.00 Tank Bag new 54.95 my price $30.00 Email me off list if you are interested. Kyle ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 5 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:22:36 -0800 (PST) From: Brad Davis Subject: Fallen Bike Link This is the link to the before mentioned bike pickup method: http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup.html Brad __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 6 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:31:14 EST From: jeffeyj@... Subject: Africa Twin Importer? NKLR >3-there is an importer in south Florida that brings in greys. I've spent >the last .5 hour looking for them with no avail. Is this who your thinking of: Cycle Imports 7603 NW 50th Street Miami, FL 305 597-4440 If this is not correct let me know and I'll look it up, or drive by. They mostly Import small 2 strokes, but I understand they can get anything on 2 wheels. Add about 25% to the list price though. Jeff Bryn Miami, FL ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:49:39 -0000 From: dan_iss@... Subject: klr parts! ok, ive gotten quite a few requests for parts. so much so that in order to keep things organized im switching email addresses. if anyone else has any part requests, email me at my new address klrparts@... if you have already emailed at this address, ill contact you from the new address. once again though, its an 1989 klr650 with 50,000 miles. doesnt run. most parts are in decent shape considering the fact that ive ridden it fairly hard and kept it outside often.... ok hope all is well! dan... ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:01:54 -5:00 From: "Dave Morrow" Subject: New Bike Thanks to all who responded to my search for a KLR. On saturday I picked up a y2k A14 from fellow lister Pete Denzer. It was a bit more than my budget and a bit farther than my 300 mile radius but Pete had some extras that made the trip very worthwhile. Having known him to be a respectable, conscientious rider from other moto lists over the last couple years helped as well. I am very happy to finally have my very own KLR. Mother nature just shat a half foot of snow upon us last night about which I am less than happy. Oh well. Dave Morrow Vermilion, Ohio '00 KLR650 '96VN1500D ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:02:04 -5:00 From: "Dave Morrow" Subject: Carb Diaphragm help The carb diaphragm can be a major bitch to reseat. A trick that helps occasionally is put the slide/diaphragm assembly in the freezer for a couple hours. It shrinks a bit and is less plyable. Dave Morrow Vermilion, Ohio '00 KLR650 - picked up saturday, I'm so proud '96VN1500D > Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:38:15 -0500 > From: "Walter Lesnowich" > Subject: Carb Diaphragm Help > > I have a DynoJet kit that keeps bothering me to put it on the KLR > so today I began doing it. Everything went smoothly other than the > shaft for the float trying to hide on the engine just above the sprocket > which I found and the diaphragm not wanting to stay in it's groove. > > What am I doing wrong? I used to believe I was pretty dexterous > but now I feel like a total spazoid. Is it because I am not a woman > and have no experience with diaphragms? Someone please let me > know what the trick is to getting the diaphragm to seat without pinching > it. I thought I had it once by pushing it in along the edge with the cover > over it but I lifted it back off wondering if I pushed it in too far. Is > this > the way? I can't get it in the groove all the way around otherwise. > > Walt > A14 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 10 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:05:25 -0000 From: "Swede" Subject: Re: Shipping a bike Ya got a friend that's an OTR truck driver? Put it on the frame and strap it to the sleeper. (Just find out when he's going that way, maybe you can ride along.) "Swede" --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Multifunction-ES@B... wrote: > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., eyemgh@e... wrote: > > > If you have had any experience shipping a bike, I'd appreciate > some insight. How does the bike need to be prepped? Who is a reliable > > > shipper? How much should I expect to pay? Etc.? > > > > Price obviously depends on distance. If you're trying to ship within > the continental US, I would keep hunting til you find something under > $500. > > dat brooklyn bum ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 11 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:20:01 -0700 From: Alex Sfakianos Subject: Re: For sale, accessories for KLR 650 1. Happy Trails NW rack- the one piece one, $100.00 2. Factory Tank bag, $20.00 3. Clearview tall screen, $50.00 4. Factory manuals, $35.00 axel@... ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 12 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:52:57 -0000 From: les123@... Subject: Re: shifting problem Hi Jim, A newbie suggests- I second Slide's recommendations. Listers have reported that the stock shifter can break that soon. If you can't figure it out quickly, maybe you should take it to a dealer to document the problem exists before the warranty expires. Look for any interference to shifter movement. This has been known to cause trouble before - but usually for downshifts, when an aftermarket skid plate got in the way. Time since oil change? Oil type? NOT a back-door request for an oil thread:-). On my 00 the 1to2 shift has always been the clunkiest but I don't think I've ever had that much trouble - I miss it occasionally but another poke puts it in gear. Dave A14 Richmond --- In DSN_klr650@y..., plexifairing2000@y... wrote: > Hello- I am a new owner of a 00 KLR with less than 5000 miles on it, I have begun to have problems shifting up from first to second gear. I get hung up in neutral. A second lift to the shifter results in a "clunk" but no results- I am stil in neutral. I can shift down to first without difficulty. This problem comes and goes but seems to happen more when the engine is fully warmed up. Besides being an annoyance, this condition could have me dead in the water with traffic bearing down on me from behind. I have had to pll off the road a few times when this happened.Ii have tried shifting more forcefully, getting the rpm's higher, pausing a second before upshifting- nothing seems to help. Any suggestions? It's under warrenty for another month-get it to a Kawasaki dealer and let them figure it out? thanks, JIM Richmond,Va. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 13 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:54:58 -0500 From: Mark Subject: Re: Carb Diaphragm help At 9:46 AM -0500 3/26/01, Dave Morrow wrote: >The carb diaphragm can be a major bitch to reseat. A trick that >helps occasionally is put the slide/diaphragm assembly in the >freezer for a couple hours. It shrinks a bit and is less plyable. I found the opposite to be true in my experience. The diaphragm is only a bitch to seat when the ambient temperature is less than 75-80F. I've been in the carb many times over a one year period when I was originally experimenting with my dynojet kit and exhaust configuration. In the summer months, the diaphragm maintained the shape of the groove, but in the winter, it wanted to spread wider than the groove. On those occasions, I would use a blunt plastic probe to nudge the lip back under the cover. Mark B2 A2 A3 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 14 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:00:58 -0500 From: "Robert J. Kaub" Subject: Bleeding Brakes This procedure could apply to our KLRs. I'll test it soon when I put the bike back on the road. I inherited a very high mileage Honda Civic and am generally going over it to bring it up to snuff. I has a manual transmission with a hydraulically actuated clutch. The brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder is black and has never been changed. This is a very simple and easy to work-on car. The master cylinder and clutch actuation cylinder are right in front of you. I had an idea. Rather than go through some complex bleeding procedure, why not let the brake fluid just drip out of the bleed screw in the clutch actuation cylinder, while watching and adding to the clutch master fluid level as necessary, until the fluid dripping out of the bleed screw was clean. I did just that. It took about 1/2 a can of brake fluid until the fluid was clear. Clutch works great. I flushed the used brake fluid down the toilet. Anyway, I think that the front and rear brake lines on the KLR can be flushed the same way. Very simple and no special tools or parts required. Thanks. Bob Kaub ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 15 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:18:34 -0700 From: Bogdan Swider Subject: RE: Bleeding Brakes > I flushed the used brake fluid down the toilet. > Anyway, I think that the front and rear brake lines on the KLR can be > flushed the same way. Very simple and no special tools or parts required. > Thanks. > Bob Kaub > > Yeah, that method works on the klr too. Glad to see you gave your toilet the needed Spring maintenance to keep it flushing smooth. Bogdan ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 16 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:25:23 -0800 From: "Thomas Baumen" Subject: HELMETS As far as Helmets go these days, yes you should replace them regularly,,,,at least every 3 to 5 years depending on where you live and ride. If you ride year round in Arizona I would go for 3 years because of OZONE. But we are in a great time for helmet buying these days. The first item is safety and for me Snell is it. So I can buy a comfortable good looking Snell 95 or 2000 helmet for under $150.00 any day of the week so why wouldn't I replace it every few years. Around here(Oregon) it seems like the dealers are always closing out a model. Shoei 800s are going for $200 right now and I bought my wife and myself matching HJC CL11 models last year for $90.00 each on close out. I tell you the HJC helmets are a very nice helmet,,, I would say as nice a an Arai was 5 years ago. I also have a Bieffe BR16 that cost $190 two years ago and it seems like they are just getting better in quality and comfort compare to a Bieffe I had before. The Bieffe America has a close out section and has a lot of helmets at very good deal right now so there is no good excuse to not replace the brain bucket every 3 to 5 years. I take my used ones and use them for target practice. I don't want it on my conscious that I sold or gave away a worn out hard foam helmet and made some poor guy feel safe when he may not have been. Tom Baumen ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 17 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:29:26 -0800 From: George Basinet Subject: Re: Is 4" too big? Rich Kickbush wrote: > Someone posted something a while ago about scraping their tool carrier with their front tyre when it bottomed. Wondering if this means 4" sched. 40 ABS pipe would be too big in that case - mounting it with the MSR bash plate and Tims highway pegs, pretty much in the middle of the two. My dealer thinks the forks may flex a little, making measuring with the fork springs out not totally accurate. Looking at it though, the closest a tube is going to come to the tire is at max compression, and I would expect the least amount of flex then, as one tube is inside the other. I'm sure he's on crack this time. Anyone know who it was that had a 4" rubbing and how they had it mounted? > > Rich > Circumference is everything... > Rich, I've had my 4" tool carrier on for about 6,000. I did find a small rubbed spot on it once. I have highway pegs and bash plate, but I also have Progressive springs. Of course I'm an 'old, slow rider, there are no old bold ones'. I am going to shorten mine a bit because when I took a dump at Moab it broke loose mainly because it was longer than Tim's pegs. George Escondido, CA ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 18 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:35:16 -0500 From: "Zachariah Mully" Subject: RE: Re: What's Blue? Squasher- Well, all the crap collects in the outside's "vallies" and I couldn't see anything with the filter paper still on the filter body. So I cut around the filter body and removed the paper and this allowed me to spread it out and really see what the heck it was catching. I think that you might be able to see some stuff when the paper is still on, but next time you do an oil change try doing what I did... I think you'll be surprised how much crap the oil filter catches. This is making me think more about one of those K&P stainless steel permanent filters. As to everyone who suggested it was the remains of gasket sealer that I found in my oil filter, I guess that must be it. I hope that this doesn't mean that gasket sealer becomes brittle and bright blue when it is exposed to high temps and oil. Then again, nothing is leaking on my bike, so out of sight out of mind. Thanks all. ------------------ Zack SE DC KLR650A5 "Buster" ZG1000A1 -----Original Message----- From: thesquasher@... [mailto:thesquasher@...] Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2001 6:19 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: What's Blue? Why did you have to cut open the filter to see what it was catching. On my KLR A15 it looks like the dirty oil is on the outside of the filter then passes through to the inside of the filter and out through the cap and into the rest of the engine. I'm not 100% sure about that but that's what I can remember. --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Zachariah Mully" wrote: > Korg'ers- > Changed my oil filter last night and decided to cut it open and see what it > had been catching. This filter had perhaps 2,000 miles on it (Mobil 1 red > cap FYI), it was a BigK brand that the PO put in the day before I bought the > bike. > > Thanks. > ------------------ > Zack > SE DC > KLR650A5 "Buster" > ZG1000A1 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 19 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:55:08 -0500 From: "Robert J. Kaub" Subject: Helmet Shelf Life The recent discussion raises a question in my mind. If indeed the styrofoam liner degrades over time, then it would be vital to know the exact date of manufacture of a helmet. Helmets can sit on shelves for a couple of years before purchase so it would be possible to buy a "new" helmet that has already expended a very significant part of its useful life before you put it on. The only real way to know you are wearing a helmet with styrofoam that has not degraded is to buy a new helmet every year. I wonder if manufacturers would consider selling "liner upgrade kits" that could be installed by the owner? So every year or so you could remove the existing liner and put in a new one. Thanks. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:25:44 -0000 From: dnicholls@... Subject: New Bike - Tools Just purchased a new A15 and would like to know what tools you all recommend that I carry. I looked at the tool kit that comes with the bike and it looks real cheap. Any suggestions as well on suppliers. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 21 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:28:47 -0000 From: dnicholls@... Subject: Chain Oilers I just bought an A15 and this is my first bike. I'm a little concerned and nervious about oiling my chain. It seems that the chain must be oiled very frequently. For example I plan on driving the bike to work each day (100 Kms round trip). I have read about a scott oiler and I'm wondering if anyone has any long term experience with one and is it the right thing to do ? ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 22 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:47:28 -0800 From: "Rich Kickbush" Subject: Re: Is 4" too big? Hmm, I'd suggest you throw the bike on a milk crate or bike lift, pull the caps and spacers (leave the springs in) and pull the tire up to max compression. If you've mounted a 3" tube between the two bars of the highway pegs it'll DEFINITELY hit in a static environment, let alone when its flexing. Rich ----- Original Message ----- From: zootpatutie To: Rich Kickbush ; DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 6:50 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Is 4" too big? I have a 3" tube mounted to Tim's the engine guard of hiway pegs. I noticed rub marks on the tube last week, centered. Haven't noticed the tire physically hitting the tube and am wondering if the depression isn't the effect of cinder sandblasting. Might have to experiment with duct tape over the depression to see if it rubs off or is shredded. Todd A9 ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Kickbush" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 2:11 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Is 4" too big? > Someone posted something a while ago about scraping their tool carrier with their front tyre when it bottomed. Wondering if this means 4" sched. 40 ABS pipe would be too big in that case - mounting it with the MSR bash plate and Tims highway pegs, pretty much in the middle of the two. My dealer thinks the forks may flex a little, making measuring with the fork springs out not totally accurate. Looking at it though, the closest a tube is going to come to the tire is at max compression, and I would expect the least amount of flex then, as one tube is inside the other. I'm sure he's on crack this time. Anyone know who it was that had a 4" rubbing and how they had it mounted? > > Rich > Circumference is everything... > > PS I know a lot of people have this mounted, but not too many bottom out their forks too often. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... > Let's keep this list SPAM free! > > Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 23 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:48:30 -0800 From: "Rich Kickbush" Subject: Re: Helmet Shelf Life I was under the impression that it was actually oils and sweat from the user's head that degraded the styrofoam, not just time. If this is true, you would have to take into account how much the helmet is used (and washed - not that this would solve everything) - a daily commuter in a hot environment should be replacing helmets more often than the weekend warrior. The idea of a DIY kit for helmets would freak most safety engineers, I think... Rich ----- Original Message ----- From: Robert J. Kaub To: KLR Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 7:55 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Helmet Shelf Life The recent discussion raises a question in my mind. If indeed the styrofoam liner degrades over time, then it would be vital to know the exact date of manufacture of a helmet. Helmets can sit on shelves for a couple of years before purchase so it would be possible to buy a "new" helmet that has already expended a very significant part of its useful life before you put it on. The only real way to know you are wearing a helmet with styrofoam that has not degraded is to buy a new helmet every year. I wonder if manufacturers would consider selling "liner upgrade kits" that could be installed by the owner? So every year or so you could remove the existing liner and put in a new one. Thanks. Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Support Dual Sport News... dsneditor@... Let's keep this list SPAM free! Visit our site at http://www.egroups.com/group/DSN_klr650 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@egroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 24 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:46:07 -0800 From: "L" Subject: Shipping a bike Hi Depends if it will be crated or not- if crated you will need to remove all fluids. Shipping for a KLR can go between $200 and $400 - I priced everyone on the net (ok- not EVERYONE!) eventualy used shippingmasters.com -they give you all the choices and then broker a deal with a reliable shipper - they were the cheapest for me. Just my buffalo nickel's worth. Cheers Heavy L Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:59:48 -0000 From: eyemgh@... Subject: Shipping a bike If you have had any experience shipping a bike, I'd appreciate some insight. How does the bike need to be prepped? Who is a reliable shipper? How much should I expect to pay? Etc.? I plan on buying a new (used, but new to me) bike. If I can't find one locally and flying/ riding doesn't work, I'll have to ship it. Thanks in advance for your help. M ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 25 Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:01:07 -0400 From: "Steve Pye" Subject: Re: Chain Oilers -----Original Message----- From: dnicholls@... To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Monday, March 26, 2001 12:28 PM > It seems that the chain >must be oiled very frequently. I have read about a scott >oiler and I'm wondering if anyone has any long term experience with >one and is it the right thing to do ? > I've never used the scott oiler or any 'automatic' oiling system. Frequency of chain oiling can depend on conditions during use. Are you driving on pavement or gravel? A lot of mud or dry / dusty surface? General rule of thumb is the worse the condition the more maintenance your chain will need. I put over 8000 kms on my 93', only cleaned / oiled the chain about once a week. I drive 50/50 gravel and pavement, chain and sprockets were in great shape when I sold the bike. I believe, however; that some folks here on the list use the scott oilers or similar systems and have good results with them. Good luck with your new KLR ! Cheers Steve Pye ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

bob kaub

tank bag

Post by bob kaub » Sat Apr 14, 2001 9:35 pm

The clear plastic window on my Kawasaki tank bag ripped today. Piece of shit. Bag just turned four years old. Should I just Goop it? Thanks. Bob Kaub

Tom Roper

tank bag

Post by Tom Roper » Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:24 pm

Has anyone tried the Wolfman explorer tank bag? A bit pricey but looks good and is made for the KLR. Tom Roper '98 Concours '02 KLR 650 Mo.

killerklr650@aol.com

tank bag

Post by killerklr650@aol.com » Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:44 pm

Tom, I just purchased one up in Duluth and just gave it a maiden voyage. My take is that its the best tankbag I've ever owned. Its got plenty of room, the side pockets are detachable yet stay on even when filled with tools and trying to be torn off by trees. The detachable map bag worked great, and the whole thing cleaned up nicely after getting a good dousing of Northern Wisconsin mud. I put 480 miles this weekend with it on, 100 miles of it through some branch slapping trails that supposedly are fire trails, and not one complaint about it. Just buy it. Darrick
> Has anyone tried the Wolfman explorer tank bag? A bit pricey but looks good > and is made for the KLR. > Tom Roper
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

RM

tank bag

Post by RM » Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:07 pm

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Tom Roper wrote:
>Has anyone tried the Wolfman explorer tank bag? A bit pricey but looks >good and is made for the KLR.
* Expensive. * Size is as large as you can get on our bikes. * Flimsy material compared to most other bags. * Could use an internal compartment or two. * Map window needs to be about .5" taller and wider