ebc rotor install

DSN_KLR650
Andrew

relocating the klr air filter

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 pm

After the ride to Steens Mtn this year, I noticed that my air filter was quickly plugged, a bit of a pain to get to to service (I have seen worse) and sucking air right off the rear tire. In my vast world of imagination and talking to myself (out loud) I have decided to come up with a type of "cold air intake" that would attach a K&N filter directly to the back of the carb (and completely remove the stock air box or even possibly running it up the right side of the engine towards the front of the bike and fresh air. Before I spend the money on the air filter and parts, has anyone tried this with good or bad results. -Andy

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 am

Before you go through all that trouble, how about running with Filter Skins? These are thin air filter covers that collect the lion's share of the dirt. You just slip off a dirty one and slip on a new one. I can't imagine how sticking a bare filter out in the air will keep it cleaner than the one inside the airbox, but let us know how it works if you do it. __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" wrote: > > After the ride to Steens Mtn this year, I noticed that my air filter was > quickly plugged, a bit of a pain to get to to service (I have seen worse) > and sucking air right off the rear tire. In my vast world of imagination and > talking to myself (out loud) I have decided to come up with a type of "cold > air intake" that would attach a K&N filter directly to the back of the carb > (and completely remove the stock air box or even possibly running it up the > right side of the engine towards the front of the bike and fresh air. Before > I spend the money on the air filter and parts, has anyone tried this with > good or bad results. > > -Andy >

traderpro2003

Post by traderpro2003 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:23 am

Andy - At all costs, I would stick with the stock setup and avoid air- exposed filters. No one does this, so it's been proven by others. Now, I've damaged one engine with a dirty filter, so I'm not only paranoid, I'm annoyed. Here's how I take comfort... I rotate 3 oil filters pre-lubbed. All of them have filter skins on them. In the really dusty, nasty crap like desserts, after say 150 miles, I remove the filter skin only. Then by fill-up, I exchange the filter for a fresh filter w/ skin out of a ziplock bag. You get better fuel economy and save oil with a clean filter. This setup gives me 900 miles of rough riding before I need clean filters. If I'm riding long stretches of sealed road, the mileage is exponentially greater. But in Baja dirt/dust, I'd ride the day and look to swap out the filter by night and then clean/recharge the dirties in a hotel, etc. Just make sure to clean out periodically the air box as well with soapy water. I think part of the problem is dirty air coming off the front (and back) tire gets eddied into the stream of intake. If you really wanted to avoid dirt, you'd have to raise the intake port via a snorkel high into the air where the cooler, denser and cleaner air is. Riding behind someone in dusty conditions is another matter. It's best to have a different line entirely or simply wait for the dust to settle with some distance between riders.
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" wrote: > > After the ride to Steens Mtn this year, I noticed that my air filter was > quickly plugged, a bit of a pain to get to to service (I have seen worse) > and sucking air right off the rear tire. In my vast world of imagination and > talking to myself (out loud) I have decided to come up with a type of "cold > air intake" that would attach a K&N filter directly to the back of the carb > (and completely remove the stock air box or even possibly running it up the > right side of the engine towards the front of the bike and fresh air. Before > I spend the money on the air filter and parts, has anyone tried this with > good or bad results. > > -Andy >

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:24 pm

-Hi Arden, Sounds like a good solution. Do you happen to know the part number of a skin for the stock filter? Thanks, Larry. -- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Arden Kysely" wrote:
> > Before you go through all that trouble, how about running with
Filter
> Skins? These are thin air filter covers that collect the lion's
> of the dirt. You just slip off a dirty one and slip on a new one. I > can't imagine how sticking a bare filter out in the air will keep
it
> cleaner than the one inside the airbox, but let us know how it
works
> if you do it. > > __Arden >

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:52 pm

Larry, It looks like this one will do: Filterskins (PC1364) Designed for Honda XRs and ATCs / RM 80 Kawasaki KLR / Yamaha Blaster & Breeze / Suzuki DRs & 200-250 Quads / KX/RM65/80/85/100 / YZ80/85 Diameter: 5"-6" Length: 2"-5 I found that info at PC Racing's web site, here: http://www.pcracingusa.com/filterskins.php Hope it works for you. __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" wrote: > > -Hi Arden, > Sounds like a good solution. Do you happen to know the part number > of a skin for the stock filter? > Thanks, > Larry. > > -- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Arden Kysely" wrote: > > > > Before you go through all that trouble, how about running with > Filter > > Skins? These are thin air filter covers that collect the lion's > share > > of the dirt. You just slip off a dirty one and slip on a new one. I > > can't imagine how sticking a bare filter out in the air will keep > it > > cleaner than the one inside the airbox, but let us know how it > works > > if you do it. > > > > __Arden > > >

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:52 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" wrote:
> (and completely remove the stock air box
If you look closely, you will note that your stock air box is also a fundamental component of the battery box as well as the forward part of the rear fender. Your suggestion is along the lines of "I think I should remove the frame", it leaves a lot of components hanging out in thin air :-). The stock air box pulls air from under the left side cover, not from the rear fender area, so it is hard to imagine a more effective way to keep dust out of it other than the filter skins suggested by others -- its snorkel pretty well protected under that left side cover. Filter skins and carrying a spare filter are the best that can be done here. It is too bad that we have a foam filter in the KLR. Paper filters can generally be rejuvenated by taking them out and giving them a few whacks on the fender followed by a blast of compressed air from the inside. On the other hand, paper filters do not react well to getting wet and it's not unheard of for people to get a little water in their airbox during water crossings, so I suppose it's all for the better that we have a foam filter, eh? -E

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 pm

In looking at where the air box is located on my bike, and just foreward and to the left of the rear tire is the inlet hole for it. Right in the wheel well. It does not appear to have any means of taking air from behind the side cover. The entire weekend I was riding point so I was constantly in fresh air. Also, I am running a KN filter on my bike as it is and am not too pleased with it. My bike didn't come with the original filter or basket. I liked them because I could pull one out, swap it for a clean one then recharge the dirty filter that night n the hotel sink with the "No Toil" system. When packed in a Ziploc baggie, they didn't take much room. As far as running one "open air" so to speak, I've seen alot of the Baja trucks and cars and quads running this way so it cant be too detrimental(but they have people with much more mechanical abilities than me).

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:03 am

> In looking at where the air box is located on my bike, and just
foreward and
> to the left of the rear tire is the inlet hole for it. Right in the
wheel
> well. It does not appear to have any means of taking air from behind the > side cover. The entire weekend I was riding point so I was
Huh? What year KLR do you have? My KLR's air box (and all pre-2008 airboxes, I dunno about the 2008 but I assume it's the same) pulls its air from a snorkle that's immediately below the left seat rail, about two inches in front of the rear fender. This snorkle points UP, towards the seat rail. This snorkle has a protective plastic grating over it to keep stuff from falling into it, and draws its air from behind the side cover. The hole you allude to is the hole for the tubing for the charcoal canister, which lives in a box to the left underneath the luggage rack on California models. California models have a large tube that goes through that hole between the front of the airbox and the charcoal canister, then a smaller tube that leads from the fuel-vapor separator to the charcoal canister, and then a vacuum hose to enable its valving if I recall correctly (I de-californicated my bike long ago so I don't recall all the hoses exactly). Non-California models have none of this tubing, but the hole is still there. But that's not the intake for the air box. That's just a hole for various tubes to go through so that they can get behind the left side cover. If you in fact have an additional hole in your air box that leads into the rear wheel well, someone added that hole. Feel free to put duct tape over it to close it off. But please verify that you are in fact looking at a hole that leads into the airbox, rather than the tubing hole that I describe above.
> Also, I am running a KN filter on my bike as it is and am not too
pleased
> with it. My bike didn't come with the original filter or basket. I
K&N filters clog easily and allow too much dirt to go through them. You can buy the original filter basket, filter gasket, and filter bolt from RonAyers.com, BikeBandit.com, or your local dealer if you don't have them already.
> them because I could pull one out, swap it for a clean one then
recharge the
> dirty filter that night n the hotel sink with the "No Toil" system.
Works the same for the Kawasaki foam filter, except the foam filter filters better.
> As far as running one "open air" so to speak, I've seen alot of the Baja > trucks and cars and quads running this way so it cant be too
detrimental(but
> they have people with much more mechanical abilities than me).
I ran a CB100 when I was a tweenager with a foam sock over the end of the carb. But that was back in the day when dirt bikes were street bikes with all the lights and stuff stripped off of them. The KLR was designed with a buncha stuff hung off its airbox -- the battery tray, for one -- and isn't as easy to strip down that far.

Chris Norloff

Post by Chris Norloff » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am

Urf. Those Baja vehicles are race vehicles, right? Rebuild the engine regularly? Chris -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:42 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: relocating the KLR air filter ... As far as running one "open air" so to speak, I've seen alot of the Baja trucks and cars and quads running this way so it cant be too detrimental(but they have people with much more mechanical abilities than me).

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 am

> > In looking at where the air box is located on my bike, and just
foreward and
> to the left of the rear tire is the inlet hole for it. Right in the
wheel
> well. It does not appear to have any means of taking air from
behind the
> side cover. The entire weekend I was riding point so I was
constantly in
> fresh air. > > Also, I am running a KN filter on my bike as it is and am not too
pleased
> with it. My bike didn't come with the original filter or basket. I
liked
> them because I could pull one out, swap it for a clean one then
recharge the
> dirty filter that night n the hotel sink with the "No Toil" system.
When
> packed in a Ziploc baggie, they didn't take much room. > > As far as running one "open air" so to speak, I've seen alot of the
Baja
> trucks and cars and quads running this way so it cant be too
detrimental(but
> they have people with much more mechanical abilities than me). >
Andy, That basket is easy enough to replace at the Kawi dealear. Did it last month. My new to me 98 had a K & N filter system--no OEM basket in sight! A new basket from Mother Kaw plus a NoToil airfilter and I am at the spot you want to be. shurg HTH revmaaatin