klx650 fried my bike/i'm an idiot

DSN_KLR650
robrostor

still another broken doohickey!

Post by robrostor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi: Opened my A15 today to replace the doohickey with a aftermarket DH bought from Arrowhead Motorsports. Guess what? The factory DH was split in half. The spring was ok. The sad part is that the eye half was nowhere to be found! Going to replace oil & filter tomorrow to see if I'm lucky! If not I don't know what to do... Any ideas? Mark

Greg May

Post by Greg May » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Mark, pull the clutch cover and remove the oil strainer screen, there is a good chance you will find it there with the excess silicon gasket material from the factory. That is were I found the missing section of my spring and from previous posts seems to be a pretty common place for missing pieces of parts....have a great evening.....Greg
--- On Thu, 6/19/08, robrostor wrote: From: robrostor Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Still another broken doohickey! To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Received: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 7:30 PM Hi: Opened my A15 today to replace the doohickey with a aftermarket DH bought from Arrowhead Motorsports. Guess what? The factory DH was split in half. The spring was ok. The sad part is that the eye half was nowhere to be found! Going to replace oil & filter tomorrow to see if I'm lucky! If not I don't know what to do... Any ideas? Mark __________________________________________________________________ Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim Douglas

Post by Jim Douglas » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 am

Greg May wrote:
> > Hi Mark, pull the clutch cover and remove the oil strainer screen, > there is a good chance you will find it there with the excess silicon > gasket material from the factory. That is were I found the missing > section of my spring and from previous posts seems to be a pretty > common place for missing pieces of parts....have a great evening.....Greg > > --- On Thu, 6/19/08, robrostor > wrote: > > From: robrostor > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Still another broken doohickey! > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Received: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 7:30 PM > > Hi: > > Opened my A15 today to replace the doohickey with a aftermarket DH > bought from Arrowhead Motorsports. Guess what? The factory DH was split > in half. The spring was ok. The sad part is that the eye half was > nowhere to be found! Going to replace oil & filter tomorrow to see if > I'm lucky! If not I don't know what to do... Any ideas? > > Mark > > __________________________________________________________ > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email > the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and > switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca > http://mail.yahoo.ca> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > >
When my Doohickey broke it shot out the exhaust and hit the car behind me, breaking the windshield and causing the driver to have a terrible crash, better replace before you kill a family, if I recall the doctors left it in the drivers head as it was to dangerous to remove it, you could clearly see in the xray it was another broken doohickey!................................... KL:R Myth #44879-A

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:08 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "robrostor" wrote:
> > Hi: > > Opened my A15 today to replace the doohickey with a aftermarket DH > bought from Arrowhead Motorsports. Guess what? The factory DH was
split
> in half. The spring was ok. The sad part is that the eye half was > nowhere to be found! Going to replace oil & filter tomorrow to see if > I'm lucky! If not I don't know what to do... Any ideas? > > Mark >
Hi Mark, If you don't have a magnetic drain plug installed, now would be a good time to do so. My new to me 98'A-12 KLR w/20,500smiles (I'm the fourth owner) had an upgraded dohickey by "Jake"...but no magnetic drain plug when purchased. During the oil change prior to riding from Dallas,TX to central South Dakota, one was installed. Fast forward to the next oil change that happend during the torsion spring upgrade to the "sage-brush" dohickey done during a tech day at Jeff Saline's in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. I pulled the drain plug and nearly fainted...sticking to the magnetic plug was the top half of the dohickey 'circle' that is often featured in the broken dohickey photographs. Jeff says, "No big deal. The drain plug did it job." Would have been nice to have been doing it a lot sooner. The proverb of "Don't sweat the mule going blind, just load the wagon" seems appropriate for this kind of situation--how many miles had that been laying in the bottom. shrug. Who knows--trusting that someone had installed the sage-brush dohickey some years before, but never found all the pieces to the OEM broken dohickey. I would seem to me that a magnetic drain plug is one of the early no- brainer farkles that should be installed. revmaaatin.

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:09 am

You might find it from the balancer side by probing with a magnet in the passage on the lower left. Do that first hopefully you haven't put the covers back on. Bogdan
On 6/19/08 7:33 PM, "Greg May" wrote: > > > > Hi Mark, pull the clutch cover and remove the oil strainer screen, there is > a good chance you will find it there with the excess silicon gasket material > from the factory. That is were I found the missing section of my spring and > from previous posts seems to be a pretty common place for missing pieces of > parts....have a great evening.....Greg > > --- On Thu, 6/19/08, robrostor > wrote: > > From: robrostor > > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Still another broken doohickey! > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Received: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 7:30 PM > > Hi: > > Opened my A15 today to replace the doohickey with a aftermarket DH > bought from Arrowhead Motorsports. Guess what? The factory DH was split > in half. The spring was ok. The sad part is that the eye half was > nowhere to be found! Going to replace oil & filter tomorrow to see if > I'm lucky! If not I don't know what to do... Any ideas? > > Mark > > __________________________________________________________ > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot > with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail > today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:56 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jim Douglas wrote:
> > When my Doohickey broke it shot out the exhaust and hit the car behind > me, breaking the windshield and causing the driver to have a terrible > crash,
Jim, you're a few months late for April 1!!!

Mike Frey

klx650 fried my bike/i'm an idiot

Post by Mike Frey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Cross posted to the KLR list since it's more active and several members have (or had) a KLX-650. If anyone answers, I will pass it along. ----------------------------------------- Don't feel bad, I did the same thing on my KLR, despite having 30+ years experience with bikes. The battery that I installed had the positive and negative terminals opposite of where they were on the old battery. Dumb old me didn't check closely, I simply assumed that they were where I thought they should be. Wrong! I only blew the main fuse, which is in a plastic case surrounded by a rubberized holder just above the battery, under the seat. Not sure where that fuse is in a KLX, but hopefully it is nearby. It is likely somewhere near the battery under the seat or tank. Look at your wiring harness, it's not real big and fairly easy to follow and look for a box that it passes through. Mike kopineger wrote: Just bought a new Enersys Odyssey PC 310 battery for my KLX. I removed the old battery and thought to my self: remember to hook it up in the correct position. Being a massive dumbass I turned the batterie around while trying to squeeze into place and proseeded to hook it up the wrong way around. When I turned on the ignition there where no lights on my console. I checked the batterie position and proceeded to yell and curse. What have I done to my bike? What do I do to fix it? Thanks