chainlub

DSN_KLR650
denvowell@aol.com

starting

Post by denvowell@aol.com » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:50 pm

I had this problem too. You might try adjesting the chock at the lever on the handlebars,it might not be opening all the way. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

denvowell@aol.com

starting

Post by denvowell@aol.com » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:15 pm

I rode my first long trip on my KLR up to Northern Michigan.We took the back rodes threw many small towns and stopped a lot. The bike ran great no problems except getting it started. It doesn't start in gear with the clutch pulled in. If I rock it back and forth in gear and try again it will usually start. If not I find neutral and start it with the clutch out. Side stand makes no difference up or down. This is an 04, 2500 miles. Dennis A18 the Big Red 1 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

squasher_1

starting

Post by squasher_1 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:35 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, denvowell@a... wrote:
> I rode my first long trip on my KLR up to Northern Michigan.We
took the
> back rodes threw many small towns and stopped a lot. The bike ran
great no
> problems except getting it started. It doesn't start in gear with
the clutch
> pulled in. If I rock it back and forth in gear and try again it
will usually
> start. If not I find neutral and start it with the clutch out.
Side stand makes
> no difference up or down. This is an 04, 2500 miles. > Dennis A18 the Big Red 1 >
sometimes my bike will act that way. maybe once every 1000 miles. my guess is something internal is sticking in the neutral safty switch by the counter sprocket. or the clutch switch has some corrosion on it and you need to work it back and forth a few times to clean it. it's like the old TV dials from 20 years ago. if the station had problems coming in you would turn the dial about 10 times to clean the contacts

rsanders30117

starting

Post by rsanders30117 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:52 am

The problem is your clutch safety switch, which is located on the clutch lever perch. This switch is slightly adjustable & may have slipped a bit. There's a tab that engages a notch on the clutch lever. When the clutch lever moves, it moves the switch tab. A worse possibility is the switch tab is broken. Finally check the wiring & its connections. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "squasher_1" wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, denvowell@a... wrote: > > I rode my first long trip on my KLR up to Northern Michigan.We > took the > > back rodes threw many small towns and stopped a lot. The bike
ran
> great no > > problems except getting it started. It doesn't start in gear
with
> the clutch > > pulled in. If I rock it back and forth in gear and try again it > will usually > > start. If not I find neutral and start it with the clutch out. > Side stand makes > > no difference up or down. This is an 04, 2500 miles. > > Dennis A18 the Big Red 1 > > > > > > sometimes my bike will act that way. maybe once every 1000 miles.
my
> guess is something internal is sticking in the neutral safty switch > by the counter sprocket. or the clutch switch has some corrosion on > it and you need to work it back and forth a few times to clean it. > it's like the old TV dials from 20 years ago. if the station had > problems coming in you would turn the dial about 10 times to clean > the contacts

Lawrence

starting

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 pm

Hi, Jake I am experiencing a similar problem, although I am not sure what you mean by "the starter...are working fine." "Not turning over" means to me that the starter does nothing. Maybe you mean, "turns over fine, but won't start?" My problem is that the starter just doesn't work sometimes. In any case, perhaps someone here can help us both out. So far, always with sufficient fumbling around with the switch, clutch, shifting into neutral, and sometimes playing with the kickstand, it goes. When the starter goes, it always starts fine. I have been thinking it may be my fumbling with the interlocks between the clutch, gear, on/off swath, and kickstand that I am somehow violating. It is a newbie, which I guess means an A19, with 1,000 miles. It also happens when I park it in 1st gear, so it won't roll away. Then I have trouble getting it into neutral. While I'm at it: what the heck is a doohicky? Regards, Larry Leach

Blake Sobiloff

starting

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:21 pm

On 6/2/05, Lawrence wrote:
> My problem is that the starter just doesn't work sometimes. In any > case, perhaps someone here can help us both out. So far, always with > sufficient fumbling around with the switch, clutch, shifting into > neutral, and sometimes playing with the kickstand, it goes. When the > starter goes, it always starts fine. I have been thinking it may be > my fumbling with the interlocks between the clutch, gear, on/off > swath, and kickstand that I am somehow violating.
[snip]
> While I'm at it: what the heck is a doohicky?
The safety interlocks can get flakey, causing the problems you cite, and many people bypass them. The doohickey is part of the engine balencer adjustment system that is over-stressed/poorly built and can break. More details and answers to your questions can be found in the FAQ: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html#knownissues -- Blake Sobiloff San Mateo, CA (USA)

John

starting

Post by John » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:45 am

I have a 04 and it will only start in netural, is this normal. I have clutch in, side stand up and try to start it in gear and won't turn over until I put it in neutral. My DL1000 starts in any gear with stand up and clutch in so I don't know if this is normal for a KLR and if it is not what can I do about it? John

Larry

starting

Post by Larry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:01 am

Not normal, but common. Your clutch safety switch needs to be adjusted. This can happen at anytime with a bike right from the dealer or after a hard hit from a fall. I am sure someone else will chime in with the proceedure to adjust it. Not to worry this is one of many easy to fix KLR issues Larry
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote: > > I have a 04 and it will only start in netural, is this normal. I have > clutch in, side stand up and try to start it in gear and won't turn > over until I put it in neutral. My DL1000 starts in any gear with > stand up and clutch in so I don't know if this is normal for a KLR and > if it is not what can I do about it? > > John >

fmocke

starting

Post by fmocke » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 am

My klr650 has a starting problem.Sometimes when i push the start button, the start engine won't run.Trying 2 min. later it works again.Cleaning the contacts (start button, emergency shut down)did not help.Anyone familiar with this problem?

usa1911a1

starting

Post by usa1911a1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:13 am

Tough to diagnose from here but I have a comment...make sure you have a good battery. If your battery is on the old side, say three years, or has been abused or left to run down on water etc....you may not be able to develop the starting amperage you need to start the engine. My .02 Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ http://seniorbiker.blogspot.com 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England
----- Original Message ----- From: fmocke To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Monday, April 16, 2007 3:48 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] starting My klr650 has a starting problem.Sometimes when i push the start button, the start engine won't run.Trying 2 min. later it works again.Cleaning the contacts (start button, emergency shut down)did not help.Anyone familiar with this problem? [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]