DSN_KLR650
bhphotos7

tires for desert ride suggestions

Post by bhphotos7 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:07 pm

any suggestions? would a full knobby the best? thanks, brent austin, texas

Doug Pippin

happy trails k-9 fork brace for sale

Post by Doug Pippin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 am

Jeff Just wanted to let people know that there are benefits of using a fork brace on the KLR. I've had a fork brace on my 2002 KLR for 4 years now and never had anything get caught between the tire and the brace. It does have quite a few stone chips on it but it still does the job. I usually use Dunlop D606 tires but currently have a set of Continental TKC-80's on to see how they work. I have about 460 miles on the TKC's and the rear tire is not going to last as long as the front. I've also used Pirelli MT21's and Maxxis C6006 tires with the fork brace. Anyway no problems with the fork brace with any of these tires. The fork brace really makes a difference in stiffening up the wimpy front end on the KLR especially off-road. I only ride roads to get to the off-road stuff so I'm not worried about on road performance. Anyway glad you sold your fork brace. Doug in NC ---------- At 09:45 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:
>Happy Trails K-9 Fork Brace for Sale > Posted by: "Jeff Saline" salinej1@... jeffsaline > Date: Wed Oct 3, 2007 12:05 pm ((PDT)) > >Listers, > >If you are really thinking about a fork brace... well, I was at one >time too. I bought this K-9 model used but in great shape and it >even came with instructions. The brace looks to me like it was >never installed. I cleaned the shop dust off it and it looks >great. After discussing it with a local buddy who has gobs of >experience in the dirt and is also a MSF instructor I decided not to >use it. For the type of riding I like to do we think it adds too >much risk of something getting caught between the fork brace and the >tire. And I also don't ride hard enough on pavement to make it >worth the effort. > >I raised my fork boots and compared what I think is the installed >height on the fork sliders with my pretty darn new Kenda K270 3.00x >21" front tire. It looked like it would have about 1/2" of clearance.
---------- Doug Pippin 828-684-8488 d_pippin_89@... ---------- [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Doug Pippin

tires for desert ride suggestions

Post by Doug Pippin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 am

Brent I would suggest one of the available DOT knobby style tires. I've used: Pirelli MT21's - noisy and don't last very long, decent off road traction, OK on the road once you get used to the rear tire turning in. Maxxis C6006 - noisy, wear out very quickly, worked great on the rocks in Moab, work OK on the road, noisy Dunlop D606 - work as well as any DOT knobby off road, work great on the road, not too noisy, wear out quickly if you ride on the road much. Continental TKC-80 pricey, work great on the road and not noisy, off road performance is good, haven't had them long enough to comment on mileage but the rear is worn considerably in under 500 miles, front still looks good. The jury is still out on the TKC's but my tire of choice is either the Dunlop D606 or it may be the TKC's. have fun in the desert Doug in NC ---------- At 09:45 PM 10/3/2007, you wrote:
>TIRES FOR DESERT RIDE SUGGESTIONS > Posted by: "bhphotos7" bh@... bhphotos7 > Date: Wed Oct 3, 2007 5:07 pm ((PDT)) > > >any suggestions? >would a full knobby the best? > >thanks, > >brent >austin, texas
---------- Doug Pippin 828-684-8488 d_pippin_89@... ---------- [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]