plastic welding kit

DSN_KLR650
heinz

indicator and cooling fan issues

Post by heinz » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:27 am

Hello guys, just a quick question, hope it's not an FAQ... but I couldn't find any links to my issue: 2003 KLR650: The indicator started flashing pretty quickly, about double the original frequency. First, it was only after 8-10 seconds of flashing, now it "switches" from slow to quick after one or two flashes, whether or not the engine is running doesn't matter. I replaced the relay to no avail. Any other idea where to look first? I checked, cleaned and sprayed all light bulbs and their connectors. Then, after replacing the broken doo, the cooling fan wouldn't kick in anymore. I replaced the sensor (again, from my old 1995 KLR I have in the backyard) to no avail. If it shortcut the wire to the lower sensor on the radiator to ground, the fan kicks in. Also, I remember that the fan used to kick in for a few seconds _after_ I turn off the engine with key. It doesn't do that anymore. Any ideas as to whether those issues are related and where I should start looking (rather than "checking all connectors und the fairing and behind the speedo") ? Cheers and safe riding, heinz

gmay131313

Post by gmay131313 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi Heinz, I saw your post earlier but wasn't able to reply but I'll try to at least give you a starting point, I can't be any more specific since I've never had either problem. The turn signals first, I assume that although you say they are flashing fast the proper ones are flashing when they should and that the problem is happening in both left and right directions. I believe that the flasher in your bike is the bi-metal type, you pass current through it and after the load heats up the element it momentarily opens before the next flash cycle starts, add load they flash faster, remove load eg. one bulb they usually won't flash. So if they are all working as they should with the exception of flashing faster, it seems to me like something is loading the circuit, did you just install some new accessory, although any load that got added should also turn on and off. With you fan cct. your problem should be easier to find, if I understand you properly when you ground the wire for the fan switch/sensor to ground the fan starts, so you,ve eliminated everything but the sensor and the connections both at the sensor and the grounds, where are you grounding the wire to make the fan run, this has to be a good ground. Looking at the wiring diagram if this is true either you aren't getting up to the temperature that closes the fan switch, you do have liquid in the rad, right, and the rad is getting hot to the touch so the thremostat is opening to allow hot anti-freeze in to the rad. The fan switch you removed should be easy to test, connect a battery powered test light or ohm meter across the switch, one wire on the terminal and one on the threads and put it in close to boiling water, it should close (electricaly) when the water heats it up and open when you remove it and it cools. Another possibility, is a poor ground either maybe insulating thread sealant on the sensor or a poor ground to the rad. Basically, my thought is you have either two bad switches or a bad ground. Hopefully while this isn't very specific it is at least somewhat helpful...have a great night....Greg
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, heinz wrote: > > Hello guys, > > just a quick question, hope it's not an FAQ... but I couldn't find any > links to my issue: > > 2003 KLR650: > > The indicator started flashing pretty quickly, about double the original > frequency. First, it was only after 8-10 seconds of flashing, now it > "switches" from slow to quick after one or two flashes, whether or not > the engine is running doesn't matter. > > I replaced the relay to no avail. > > Any other idea where to look first? I checked, cleaned and sprayed all > light bulbs and their connectors. > > Then, after replacing the broken doo, the cooling fan wouldn't kick in > anymore. I replaced the sensor (again, from my old 1995 KLR I have in > the backyard) to no avail. If it shortcut the wire to the lower sensor > on the radiator to ground, the fan kicks in. Also, I remember that the > fan used to kick in for a few seconds _after_ I turn off the engine with > key. It doesn't do that anymore. > > Any ideas as to whether those issues are related and where I should > start looking (rather than "checking all connectors und the fairing and > behind the speedo") ? > > Cheers and safe riding, > heinz >

Don Montgomery

Post by Don Montgomery » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:59 pm

Heinz, I had the fan relay go out and it was a booger to diagnose, though I cannot remember the details. I did bridge the terminals that turn on the fan to finally work out the failure. There is a Toyota relay that is cheaper and exactly the same item (check the FAQ) if that is your problem. Happy gremlin hunting! Don M
----- Original Message ----- From: "heinz" To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 4:26 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] indicator and cooling fan issues > Hello guys, > > just a quick question, hope it's not an FAQ... but I couldn't find any > links to my issue: > > 2003 KLR650: > > The indicator started flashing pretty quickly, about double the original > frequency. First, it was only after 8-10 seconds of flashing, now it > "switches" from slow to quick after one or two flashes, whether or not > the engine is running doesn't matter. > > I replaced the relay to no avail. > > Any other idea where to look first? I checked, cleaned and sprayed all > light bulbs and their connectors. > > Then, after replacing the broken doo, the cooling fan wouldn't kick in > anymore. I replaced the sensor (again, from my old 1995 KLR I have in > the backyard) to no avail. If it shortcut the wire to the lower sensor > on the radiator to ground, the fan kicks in. Also, I remember that the > fan used to kick in for a few seconds _after_ I turn off the engine with > key. It doesn't do that anymore. > > Any ideas as to whether those issues are related and where I should > start looking (rather than "checking all connectors und the fairing and > behind the speedo") ? > > Cheers and safe riding, > heinz > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >

heinz

Post by heinz » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 am

Thanks a lot for the infos, Greg and Don! I thought it was a ground problem, too, and I checked it with a ohmmeter (from the sensor housing to the cylinder) and it seems ok, low resistance. Now when I replaced the lower sensor in the rad, I didn't test the replacement first before putting it in. I rather wanted to minimise the mess and replaced one for the other on the fly without draining the coolant. Then I threw the "old" sensor in hot water and the resistance was still high. Either the sensor is shot or the water wasn't quite hot enough. Since I got two KLR, I sometimes mix up experiences, that's why I asked whether it's normal that the fan kicks in after I turn off the ignition? Thought that was the case with the 2003 model, or rather with both bikes, the 95 and 03.... The whole story came up after I lost some coolant when I took the engine apart for the doohickey replacement when I also checked the valve clearances and timing chain lengthening (all within limits, phew)... I filled the coolant up again but there must have been still lots of air in the hoses, so on the first longer ride the red temp. light came on after 25 mins. That's when I noticed the rad fan doesn't kick in. I then let it cool down and limped home, filling up the rad again. With the indicator, yes, the proper ones come on as they should and the fast flashing happens in both directions, right and left. However, the previous owner replaced the stock indicators with slightly better looking ones, but the bulbs are the same (makes me wonder now, maybe they are stronger). However, when I bought the bike the indicator were flashing ok and I later noticed that when I left them flashing for more than 10 secs., they would start to "take off". Over the months, these 10 secs. came down to about one or two seconds of slow flashing once I flick the switch, and then the quick pulse. Would be a bit of a hassle to replace the whole indicator with the stock ones (which I still have) to test that but I'll look into the wattage of the bulbs again, thanks for the pointer! I didn't add or change anything else on the electrical circuit, no blown fuse, nothing. Just a reliable KLR as I'm used to. I'll try again on the weekend when I'm back in town. Thanks a lot and have a nice week, heinz

Tom Zangla

plastic welding kit

Post by Tom Zangla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 pm

I got a email from Harbor Freight and saw this plastic welding kit and thought all you guys and gals with cracked plastic might be interested in it. http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do? itemid=41592 PLASTIC WELDING KIT Weld all types of plastic. Locking regulator with adjusting dial Gauge scale measures in 1/10ths Scale max. PSI: 15 lbs. Includes 12 ft. hose 110V 1/4'' NPT inlet ITEM 41592 was $44.99 now $22.99 Tom SW Pennsylvania

gmay131313

Post by gmay131313 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Heinz, something I might try with your indicators before I went to a lot of trouble swapping turn signal assemblies would be to pull the bulbs one at a time, checking the operation with one bulb removed, replace that bulb before moving on to the next. My thought here would be to see how the cct. works with one bulb removed, the idea behind this being to the best of my memory if you remove one bulb from a non-electronic flasher cct the other bulb will light but not flash, not a for sure way of troubleshooting but a quick and dirty check. For example if the front bulb flashes with the rear bulb removed but the rear doesn't flash with the front removed it would indicate the the front is drawing more current then the rear which would at least point you in a direction to look. The question of the fan running after the key is shutoff is true on my 05, I can't remember if I've had it cycle back on after the key was shutoff but it definitely has finished a cooling cycle after the key was shutoff but if hot enought it could cycle back on as it is fed off an unswitched supply from the battery. The wiring diagram I looked at was for a 95 so it appears to be true for all model years....maybe... :-) ....have a great evening....Greg
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, heinz wrote: > > Thanks a lot for the infos, Greg and Don! > > > > I thought it was a ground problem, too, and I checked it with a > ohmmeter (from the sensor housing to the cylinder) and it seems ok, low > resistance. > > > Now when I replaced the lower sensor in the rad, I didn't test the > replacement first before putting it in. I rather wanted to minimise the > mess and replaced one for the other on the fly without draining the > coolant. > > > Then I threw the "old" sensor in hot water and the resistance was still > high. Either the sensor is shot or the water wasn't quite hot enough. > > > Since I got two KLR, I sometimes mix up experiences, that's why I asked > whether it's normal that the fan kicks in after I turn off the > ignition? Thought that was the case with the 2003 model, or rather with > both bikes, the 95 and 03.... > > > The whole story came up after I lost some coolant when I took the > engine apart for the doohickey replacement when I also checked the > valve clearances and timing chain lengthening (all within limits, > phew)... > > I filled the coolant up again but there must have been still lots of > air in the hoses, so on the first longer ride the red temp. light came > on after 25 mins. That's when I noticed the rad fan doesn't kick in. I > then let it cool down and limped home, filling up the rad again. > > > With the indicator, yes, the proper ones come on as they should and the > fast flashing happens in both directions, right and left. However, the > previous owner replaced the stock indicators with slightly better > looking ones, but the bulbs are the same (makes me wonder now, maybe > they are stronger). However, when I bought the bike the indicator were > flashing ok and I later noticed that when I left them flashing for more > than 10 secs., they would start to "take off". Over the months, these > 10 secs. came down to about one or two seconds of slow flashing once I > flick the switch, and then the quick pulse. > > > Would be a bit of a hassle to replace the whole indicator with the > stock ones (which I still have) to test that but I'll look into the > wattage of the bulbs again, thanks for the pointer! > > > I didn't add or change anything else on the electrical circuit, no > blown fuse, nothing. Just a reliable KLR as I'm used to. > > > > I'll try again on the weekend when I'm back in town. > > > Thanks a lot and have a nice week, > > heinz >