a spell on me

DSN_KLR650
bhphotos7

off road tires

Post by bhphotos7 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 pm

i'm headed to big bend for the terlingua ride on october and i need new tread. any recomendations? gracias, brent humphreys austin, texas

Jeff Saline

off road tires

Post by Jeff Saline » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:10 pm

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:04:12 -0000 "bhphotos7" writes:
> > i'm headed to big bend for the terlingua ride on october > and i need new tread. any recomendations? > > gracias, > > brent humphreys > austin, texas
<><><><><><><> <><><><><><><> Brent, I like Kenda K270s front and rear. I use a 3.00 x 21 front and a 5.10 x 17 rear. On pavement I use 32 psi front and 36 psi rear. Off road I might let them drop to 22 front and 28 rear. I also use heavy or ultra heavy duty tubes. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Ronald Criswell

a spell on me

Post by Ronald Criswell » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Other than passing ability in high altitudes, I have never found the KLR's modest horsepower to be much of a handycap. I had fun one day riding with an Honda ST riding friend. He was amazed that I got off from the red light seemingly quicker than he. Torque and 200 - 300 pounds less weight I told him. He looked puzzled. Riding at 80 mph? My 99 has been all over the place for hours on end at 80 mph (indicated - which is probably about 73 - 75 mph. I have 4600 on mine with no indication it is going south anytime soon. I don't know about the new KLR (other than looks like it will need serious crash guards for that pretty new plastic). I heard it has more torque (never a bad thing). I wouldn't think the loss in travel means much if dampening is improved which supposedly it has. And I like the simplicity of one cylinder. Criswell
On Sep 4, 2007, at 7:09 PM, sherlowkbownes wrote: > ok i have said to myself and others.........no more klr's > i was getting geared up to buy a warrior (then fix it all up for > touring) > then i thought hey what about a dl650 .....(which i believe is a > standard not a dual sport) > i have had 2 klr650's in the past. a 1990 i think. i was just out of > highschool then and had no idea what a bike i had....it was just > another dually to me then > then i had a 2003 and tried to run over a lincoln town car before i > actually got a chance to conquer the world with it > so then it happened i sat on the 2008 and said no, no , no!!! > i don't want it...how much is it?......i don't want it!!! what did > they do different?.....no no no.....it feels nice. > then i ran home and got in the fetal position because i actually want > another over several other bikes that have more highway juice. > so then i ask myself..if i get it will honda finally realize to bring > the transalp over or will suzuki wise up and add more wheel travel to > the dl? > basically will the klr650 riding style catch on and someone make the > perfect dual tourer and then iv'e wasted my money? > so after my schizo rant could any one tell me about te 2008 at 80mph > hwy speeds. will it hanlde it and be a 100,000 mile (engine) bike? > how bad is the loss of wheel travel? can it be improved (could taller > fork legbe machined)? tell me anything > > P.S. > i was supposed to have Jake come to Texas before he passed away (and > before i wrecked my bike), but i was going through a divorce and lost > track of him for a while. when i finally called i found he had > passed. i used to talk with him on the phone quite a bit, and it > just seems to bother sometimes. i guess this group made the most > sense for a place to get that off my chest.. > thanks > mike > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]