really nklr, nklr desert heat

DSN_KLR650
guinnessmarsh

desert heat

Post by guinnessmarsh » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:54 pm

Three Questions: 1)Does anyone know why my KLR is harder to start in the intense heat of Las Vegas? I am new to the KLR as well as the heat. It sucks. It fires right up when cool, but after riding, even a short time, it is hard to restart. 2) Where can I find good info on local Las Vegas area rides? 3) Does anyone know a good KLR mechanic in LV? Thank you for any information you might have.

Terry Hamrick

desert heat

Post by Terry Hamrick » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Others on the list know much more than I on the subject, but if it turns-over ok, then I would expect that valve clearance is incorrect.. albatross
On 8/25/07, guinnessmarsh wrote: > > Three Questions: 1)Does anyone know why my KLR is harder to start in > the intense heat of Las Vegas? I am new to the KLR as well as the > heat. It sucks. It fires right up when cool, but after riding, even a > short time, it is hard to restart. > 2) Where can I find good info on local Las Vegas area rides? > 3) Does anyone know a good KLR mechanic in LV? > > Thank you for any information you might have. > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

desert heat

Post by E.L. Green » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:30 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "guinnessmarsh" wrote:
> Three Questions: 1)Does anyone know why my KLR is harder to start in > the intense heat of Las Vegas? I am new to the KLR as well as the > heat. It sucks. It fires right up when cool, but after riding, even a > short time, it is hard to restart.
Very hot air has the same attribute as high-altitude air -- it's thinner. The KLR will thus run richer. If the bike is warm, it may be too rich for easy starting. I hope you are not putting the choke (idle enricher) on in order to start the bike when the bike is warm, if so that is your problem. KLKR's usually do not run rich, so I would suggest that you clean your air filter and oil it *lightly*. Too-heavy application of filter oil will result in a too-rich condition, and will also cause overheating even with an ideal coolant mix for the conditions.

matteeanne@yahoo.com

desert heat

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:48 am

If it starts cold ok, then stalls when warm it is likely valves! Sean Brown Looking for the perfect gift for the wife/Mom/or "the person who has everything?" www.brownsbirdestates.com To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:28:53 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Desert Heat
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogro ups.com, "guinnessmarsh" wrote: > Three Questions: 1)Does anyone know why my KLR is harder to start in > the intense heat of Las Vegas? I am new to the KLR as well as the > heat. It sucks. It fires right up when cool, but after riding, even a > short time, it is hard to restart. Very hot air has the same attribute as high-altitude air -- it's thinner. The KLR will thus run richer. If the bike is warm, it may be too rich for easy starting. I hope you are not putting the choke (idle enricher) on in order to start the bike when the bike is warm, if so that is your problem. KLKR's usually do not run rich, so I would suggest that you clean your air filter and oil it *lightly*. Too-heavy application of filter oil will result in a too-rich condition, and will also cause overheating even with an ideal coolant mix for the conditions. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Blake Sobiloff

desert heat

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:03 pm

On Aug 25, 2007, at 2:28 PM, E.L. Green wrote:
> Too-heavy application of filter oil will result in a too-rich > condition,
Yes...
> and will also > cause overheating even with an ideal coolant mix for the conditions.
I thought rich mixtures resulted in cooler operating temps? -- Blake Sobiloff http://www.sobiloff.com/> San Jose, CA (USA)

E.L. Green

desert heat

Post by E.L. Green » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:09 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> > On Aug 25, 2007, at 2:28 PM, E.L. Green wrote: > > Too-heavy application of filter oil will result in a too-rich > > condition, > > Yes... > > > and will also > > cause overheating even with an ideal coolant mix for the conditions. > > I thought rich mixtures resulted in cooler operating temps?
That's the theory, but I think having to suck through a clogged-up filter may be the main problem. I know what the reality is (i.e., when my filter is clogged up my bike overheats), and am working backwards towards a theory to explain it. This is what's called the "scientific method", as vs. starting off with an interesting theory then ignoring all evidence if said evidence doesn't match the theory, which is called the "religious method". In any event, it's cheap (free?) and quick to clean an air filter, so that's why I suggested that he start with the air filter. As others have pointed out, valve adjustment may be an issue too. Or etc... -E

Allen Faber

really nklr, nklr desert heat

Post by Allen Faber » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Extremely NKLR- While I agree using "moderation" in the same sentence with "neutron bomb" is an oxymoron, as I understand it the purpose of using neutrons as a weapon is actually to moderate the bomb's physical destruction and primarily kill-off living things, leaving little residual radiation. This is how I understood the debate that was going on about it several years ago. So it wouldn't seem like moderation to the enemy soldiers who were killed, but maybe it would to the unaffected civilians in a nearby town. Allen --------------------------------- Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]