bad dealer - motosport in albuquerque - nklr

DSN_KLR650
johnwaldeck

handlebars/front end turns during heavy front braking

Post by johnwaldeck » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Hi, I just completed a front end rebuild of my 94 klr after a loser turned in front of me. I hit his junker station wagon and went over the top. If it weren't for my engine guard/highway pegs I'd have junked it since my engine at the water pump wouldn've been smashed. Anyway, I decided to rebuild my KLR from the wheel to the triple- tree and add steel brake lines and the oversized rotor. I bought used forks and added the proper amount of oil. When I brake moderate to heavily on the front brake, the handlebars (or entire front end) move to the right about 2-3 degrees after the forks compress. This doesn't happen when I apply the rear brakes or when I slightly apply the front brakes (i.e. the forks compress but not all the way)... I'm wondering if this could be the springs, the oil level, or the air pressure ? I didn't put air in the shocks, either. I'm thinking about putting my old springs in these "new to me" shocks and seeing if that makes a difference.. TIA for any help ! John

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:42 pm

johnwaldeck wrote:
> When I brake moderate to heavily on the front brake, the handlebars > (or entire front end) move to the right about 2-3 degrees after the > forks compress. This doesn't happen when I apply the rear brakes or > when I slightly apply the front brakes (i.e. the forks compress but > not all the way)... > > I'm wondering if this could be the springs, the oil level, or the > air pressure ? I didn't put air in the shocks, either. I'm thinking > about putting my old springs in these "new to me" shocks and seeing > if that makes a difference..
Most likely the forks themselves. BigK doesn't really manufacture them to anything we'd consider tolerances. Z

Ross Lindberg

Post by Ross Lindberg » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> > johnwaldeck wrote: > > > When I brake moderate to heavily on the front brake, the
handlebars
> > (or entire front end) move to the right about 2-3 degrees after
the
> > forks compress. This doesn't happen when I apply the rear brakes
or
> > when I slightly apply the front brakes (i.e. the forks compress
but
> > not all the way)... > > > > I'm wondering if this could be the springs, the oil level, or the > > air pressure ? I didn't put air in the shocks, either. I'm
thinking
> > about putting my old springs in these "new to me" shocks and
seeing
> > if that makes a difference.. > > Most likely the forks themselves. BigK doesn't really manufacture
them
> to anything we'd consider tolerances. > > Z >
I've noticed the same thing. I figure it's probably the skinny fork legs twisting slightly since all the braking force is applied to one side. I'm willing to bet if it had dual disks up front you wouldn't notice it. I may add a fork brace in the future and see if that makes a difference. Ross Lindberg Fertile, MN

LD

bad dealer - motosport in albuquerque - nklr

Post by LD » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 pm

snip: the part you are skipping is half the fun of camping :) Ernie Campbell Maybe, maybe not...In my 20's and 30's, I used to enjoy cooking on camping trips and often made a big deal of cooking as gourmet as possible in the woods. Now in my 40s, I'd rather spend the time formerly spent on cooking and cleanup amusing myself in other ways, like riding the KLR etc. I rarely pack anything for cooking on the bike. For a longer trip, if I cook now, it's to boil water for coffee, or a freeze dried meal. That Mountain House stroganoff rules! Here's the stove I use for motorcycle camping... http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html Works great with Everclear and is truly penny-tech! I'll add that in Minnesota and WI, most of the fun places to KLR camp are supposedly somewhat bear infested, so I carry as little food as possible, and don't eat near my tent etc. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing. http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php