klr peeing oil out the airbox?

DSN_KLR650
breend01

2008 klr = plastic replacement revenue stream

Post by breend01 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 pm

I checked out the new KLR at a dealer today- I like everything about it except the sport bike cowling. One of my off-road Maine weekends, (yes Bob Bendix is right- I dumped my KLR six times in one weekend, including total immersion in a stream crossing)well, I would have cashout my IRA to pay for the plastic. Granted I push the envelope on what a KLR is designed for, but the bike is supposed to be dirt capable. My 2004 can go over sideways with no real damage (I have the 'iron cage' upgrade for the vitals.) If the new KLR with the sport bike cowling goes over, yikes! Also, they looped the rear brake line in the air over the brake- just waiting to catch a branch and eliminate rear braking. Otherwise- there is much to like about the bike, including stainless exhaust pipe (not muffler.) So, who will be the first to configure old plastic to fit new KLR, then sell the stock plastic to guys who did not retrofit plastic? Mmmm, a business plan...

Russell Scott

Post by Russell Scott » Mon May 21, 2007 11:31 pm

I think it depends on the type of crash. I actually think the new plastic is tougher, and would hold up better in any kind of low direct impact crash. Now if you "smashed" into something, then the old would probably be better. In other words, low damage crashes (which is most) would do better with new plastic, high damage crashes would favor the old plastic, because less cost to replace or repair. R -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of breend01 Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 8:05 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] 2008 KLR = plastic replacement revenue stream I checked out the new KLR at a dealer today- I like everything about it except the sport bike cowling. One of my off-road Maine weekends, (yes Bob Bendix is right- I dumped my KLR six times in one weekend, including total immersion in a stream crossing)well, I would have cashout my IRA to pay for the plastic. Granted I push the envelope on what a KLR is designed for, but the bike is supposed to be dirt capable. My 2004 can go over sideways with no real damage (I have the 'iron cage' upgrade for the vitals.) If the new KLR with the sport bike cowling goes over, yikes! Also, they looped the rear brake line in the air over the brake- just waiting to catch a branch and eliminate rear braking. Otherwise- there is much to like about the bike, including stainless exhaust pipe (not muffler.) So, who will be the first to configure old plastic to fit new KLR, then sell the stock plastic to guys who did not retrofit plastic? Mmmm, a business plan... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim Priest

Post by Jim Priest » Tue May 22, 2007 7:34 am

On 5/21/07, breend01 wrote:
> So, who will be the first to configure old plastic to fit new KLR, > then sell the stock plastic to guys who did not retrofit plastic? > Mmmm, a business plan...
I wonder how the 'new' KLR is going to affect the folks who have been converting them to diesel for the military?? They used to sell plastics on eBay I think. Wonder if they will use the new plastics or do something else? Jim

Mike Peplinski

Post by Mike Peplinski » Tue May 22, 2007 9:58 am

May I be the first to offer a trade; my 2001 Kawi green plastic for the newer stuff. I'll be glad to figure out how to make it fit. Would the gages fit either one?
>From: "breend01" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] 2008 KLR = plastic replacement revenue stream >Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:04:54 -0000 > >I checked out the new KLR at a dealer today- I like everything about >it except the sport bike cowling. One of my off-road Maine >weekends, (yes Bob Bendix is right- I dumped my KLR six times in one >weekend, including total immersion in a stream crossing)well, I >would have cashout my IRA to pay for the plastic. > >Granted I push the envelope on what a KLR is designed for, but the >bike is supposed to be dirt capable. My 2004 can go over sideways >with no real damage (I have the 'iron cage' upgrade for the vitals.) >If the new KLR with the sport bike cowling goes over, yikes! > >Also, they looped the rear brake line in the air over the brake- >just waiting to catch a branch and eliminate rear braking. > >Otherwise- there is much to like about the bike, including stainless >exhaust pipe (not muffler.) > >So, who will be the first to configure old plastic to fit new KLR, >then sell the stock plastic to guys who did not retrofit plastic? >Mmmm, a business plan... > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
_________________________________________________________________ Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You ll love Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507

Andy Firman

Post by Andy Firman » Wed May 23, 2007 8:21 pm

breend01 wrote:
> I checked out the new KLR at a dealer today- I like everything about > it except the sport bike cowling. One of my off-road Maine > weekends, (yes Bob Bendix is right- I dumped my KLR six times in one > weekend, including total immersion in a stream crossing)well, I > would have cashout my IRA to pay for the plastic.
I have a one week old 2008 KLR and went out on some dirt and mud for the first time and took it real slow. Laid it down a few times and my plastic is broken where the joint is closest to where your knee would be. (just under the opening) I did not lay it down hard as I a beginner. So my plastic is broke. Should I get a fiberglass repair kit? Any advice on fixing the crack? I can get a picture up on the web this weekend if anyone wants to see it? Thanks, Andy Columbia, MD

Andy Firman

Post by Andy Firman » Tue May 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Here are 3 pictures of my cracked plastic on my new '08 KLR: http://firmanix.com/klr/ I have a feeling this crack that I have is going to be very common with other folks laying down the new KLR. I did not even go down that hard. Andy
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:21:10PM -0400, Andy Firman wrote: > breend01 wrote: > > I checked out the new KLR at a dealer today- I like everything about > > it except the sport bike cowling. One of my off-road Maine > > weekends, (yes Bob Bendix is right- I dumped my KLR six times in one > > weekend, including total immersion in a stream crossing)well, I > > would have cashout my IRA to pay for the plastic. > > I have a one week old 2008 KLR and went out on some dirt and mud > for the first time and took it real slow. Laid it down a few times > and my plastic is broken where the joint is closest to where your > knee would be. (just under the opening) I did not lay it down hard > as I a beginner. So my plastic is broke. Should I get a fiberglass > repair kit? Any advice on fixing the crack? I can get a picture > up on the web this weekend if anyone wants to see it? > > Thanks, > Andy > > Columbia, MD

Blake Sobiloff

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Tue May 29, 2007 8:42 pm

On May 29, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Andy Firman wrote:
> Here are 3 pictures of my cracked plastic on my new '08 KLR:
Bummer, Andy! I guess that settles it for me--I'm waiting until someone comes out with real dirt bike plastic for the '08. Kawi should have kept the sport bike plastic on the sport bikes, but it looks like they've created a great opportunity for some entrepreneur. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Vernon Wade

klr peeing oil out the airbox?

Post by Vernon Wade » Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 pm

bike seemed to be running fine, rode it to work this morning not problems. I had washed the bike after work and was about 5 miles down the road when it started acting up. Giving it throttle it cut out and at the same time put out a hugmungous cloud of smoke, totally obscuring the highway. Rolled off the throttle a little and it cleared and ran ok but give it the gas and the same thing happened. It ran OK no noises cruising at around 50mph, no smoke. If I rolled off the throttle more it would die, probably fouled plugs. If I gave it any sudden throttle it would smoke and cut out. when I got home I could see oil peeing from the airbox. Quite a bit got pumped through there, enuf to drop the level from the top of the sight glass to just below the middle. Any ideas?