oil? fuel? leak

DSN_KLR650
Glenn

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Glenn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:20 am

I am interested in the IMS/military style fuel tank for my 03 KLR650. I see that a few places sell them however my question is this : can I use my stock petcock(with or without modification) or do I need to get a new style? Also is it a direct bolt up or are there mounting mods needed? Thanks in advance for the help. Glenn 03 KLR650A17

C L Cooper

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by C L Cooper » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 am

Glenn, I installed a new IMS tank this winter.... Stock petcock was used, although I have the Big Cee diaphragm eliminator plate. Doesn't affect mounting. Rubber mounting pucks between tank and frame, and rear tank mount use the stock mounting locations. The mounting brackets at the front take a little effort to make them work. I ended up only using the top bracket on either side. Provides plenty of support and reduces effort when you need to take the tank off. Others have used different approaches, including no front brackets and zip ties. Sounds like it would work. Depends on your preference. My impression is that between the pucks, rear mount and seat pressure holding tank in place, only minimal support, bracing is need at the front of the tank to keep things in place. I am also sealing the gap between the tank and the radiator/coolant bottle side using two layers of 1" x 1" weatherstriping insulation foam. This is supposed to improve cooling by stopping air flow around the side of the radiator and will provide a little more support. Improved range is great. One of my buddies (who has an F series BMW 650) will be testing range (among other things) next weekend in Death Valley area. Can't wait!!! ...make sure you use a fuel filter between tank and carb!!!! Small clear ones are cheap, easy to install, and IMO, absolutely required. Chuck C San Diego, CA
On 4/12/07, Glenn wrote: > > I am interested in the IMS/military style fuel tank for my 03 KLR650. > I see that a few places sell them however my question is this : can I > use my stock petcock(with or without modification) or do I need to get > a new style? Also is it a direct bolt up or are there mounting mods > needed? Thanks in advance for the help. > > Glenn > 03 KLR650A17 > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Glenn

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Glenn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:29 pm

Chuck Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was wanting to know. I had been doing some research on old posts here and there were some pics of different mounting otions for the front attach points. Thanks also for the filter advice. Will certainly use it. Glenn 03 KLR650A17
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "C L Cooper" wrote: > > Glenn, > > I installed a new IMS tank this winter.... > > Stock petcock was used, although I have the Big Cee diaphragm eliminator > plate. Doesn't affect mounting. > > Rubber mounting pucks between tank and frame, and rear tank mount use the > stock mounting locations. The mounting brackets at the front take a little > effort to make them work. I ended up only using the top bracket on either > side. Provides plenty of support and reduces effort when you need to take > the tank off. > > Others have used different approaches, including no front brackets and zip > ties. Sounds like it would work. Depends on your preference. My impression > is that between the pucks, rear mount and seat pressure holding tank in > place, only minimal support, bracing is need at the front of the tank to > keep things in place. > > I am also sealing the gap between the tank and the radiator/coolant bottle > side using two layers of 1" x 1" weatherstriping insulation foam. This is > supposed to improve cooling by stopping air flow around the side of the > radiator and will provide a little more support. > > Improved range is great. One of my buddies (who has an F series BMW 650) > will be testing range (among other things) next weekend in Death Valley > area. Can't wait!!! > > ...make sure you use a fuel filter between tank and carb!!!! Small clear > ones are cheap, easy to install, and IMO, absolutely required. > > Chuck C > San Diego, CA > > > On 4/12/07, Glenn wrote: > > > > I am interested in the IMS/military style fuel tank for my 03 KLR650. > > I see that a few places sell them however my question is this : can I > > use my stock petcock(with or without modification) or do I need to get > > a new style? Also is it a direct bolt up or are there mounting mods > > needed? Thanks in advance for the help. > > > > Glenn > > 03 KLR650A17 > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] >

Blake Sobiloff

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

On 4/12/07, C L Cooper wrote:
> ...make sure you use a fuel filter between tank and carb!!!! Small clear > ones are cheap, easy to install, and IMO, absolutely required.
My local shop had a right-angled one that I bought on a whim. I used the shortest amount of tubing possible between the carb and the filter, as the IMS tank lowers the petcock a bit so the fuel line isn't going downhill as much as with the stock tank. Fortunately I haven't had any fuel starvation issues, and I've run the tank well into the reserve a couple of times. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)

cactus_reese

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by cactus_reese » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 am

Here is my A12 reborn with red plastic and the red IMS tank. http://cactusreese.smugmug.com/gallery/2686518#142236953 -Bryan
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" wrote: > > I am interested in the IMS/military style fuel tank for my 03 KLR650. > I see that a few places sell them however my question is this : can I > use my stock petcock(with or without modification) or do I need to get > a new style? Also is it a direct bolt up or are there mounting mods > needed? Thanks in advance for the help. > > Glenn > 03 KLR650A17 >

Glenn

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Glenn » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:15 am

I'm sold! Besides the obvious increase in fuel capacity, from what I'm hearing and reading the protection of the radiator is a bonus. Now in pics I can see that it even looks better than stock. Thanks. Glenn A17
> Here is my A12 reborn with red plastic and the red IMS tank. > > http://cactusreese.smugmug.com/gallery/2686518#142236953

Wes Smith

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Wes Smith » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:29 am

They seem like a great mod! Any specific filter you guys recommend using?

Blake Sobiloff

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:55 pm

On 4/12/07, Glenn wrote:
> I am interested in the IMS/military style fuel tank for my 03 KLR650. > I see that a few places sell them however my question is this : can I > use my stock petcock(with or without modification) or do I need to get > a new style? Also is it a direct bolt up or are there mounting mods > needed? Thanks in advance for the help.
Hi Glenn! I bought my IMS tank from Fred at Arrowheadmotorsports.com. (Yahoo! spam filters seem to snag my emails with a proper URL to Fred's shop; we'll see if this one gets through.) I was able to use the stock petcock without modification, and it was a direct bolt-up. The mounting brackets at the front of the tank are a bit fiddly, and you'll probably find that you have to push and pull on the tank a bit to get it lined up correctly with the rear mounting points. The first install was a fair effort, but subsequent R/Rs have been easier. Oh, and the tank held up quite well in my crash back in September; a few barely noticeable scratches on the radiator side of the tank, one of the brackets bent a touch, and no damage to the radiator. Robust! -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA) Sorry Blake, You'd think I'd have more "pull" with Yahoo since I am the moderator. Guess not. Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com

Glenn

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Glenn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Blake, Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered my IMS tank from Fred the other day. I'm looking forward to the install and subsequent benefits associated with having such a solid tank. Not to mention the range. Thanks again for the info. I also use Fred for anything I need and have found him to be THE top notch provider for anything KLR. Glenn

Wes

aftermarket fuel tank

Post by Wes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:59 am

Fred is definitely the man when it comes to the KLR parts. I ordered an IMS tank in Black from IMS, but they didn't have it, so I ordered a green and he had it sent out immediately.