water pump

DSN_KLR650
ckahleer

questioning the use of ear plugs

Post by ckahleer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:36 am

Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions are apprecated). Craig Kahler

John Kokola

Post by John Kokola » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:43 am

I would compare the wearing of earplugs on a bike (noisy environment) to the wearing of sunglasses or a tinted shield on a bright sunny day. You'll suffer less fatigue, and your body adapts to the reduced levels of stimulus that reaches it in just a moment -- you'll still hear everything. Try it so that you know what you're missing. Personally I can't ride on the highway without earplugs. --John Kokola ckahleer wrote:
> > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions > are apprecated). > > Craig Kahler > >

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Definitely try it, you'll see...I actually hear detail better with the plugs in while moving. Running isolating plugs *with* music, I never adjusted to though. I never ride without plugs in for hearing protection now. It relaxes me quite a lot, takes the tension from the wind roar and associated fatigue away.
On 4/15/07, John Kokola wrote: > I would compare the wearing of earplugs on a bike (noisy environment) to > the wearing of sunglasses or a tinted shield on a bright sunny day. > You'll suffer less fatigue, and your body adapts to the reduced levels > of stimulus that reaches it in just a moment -- you'll still hear > everything. > > Try it so that you know what you're missing. Personally I can't ride on > the highway without earplugs. > > --John Kokola > > ckahleer wrote: > > > > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while > > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions > > are apprecated). > > > > Craig Kahler > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

fasteddiecopeman

Post by fasteddiecopeman » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Craig, Ear-plugs REDUCE the amount of sound getting to your ears. That way, rather than PERMANENTLY damaging your hearing, you TEMPORARILY reduce it. Don't worry - you'll STILL be able to hear sirens, etc, and after you get off and remove the plugs, you'll be able to carry on a normal conversation, rather than hollering "What? What? Can you speak LOUDER!"! Cheers, Ed (who has used a hearing aid for the last 20 years)
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote: > > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions > are apprecated). > > Craig Kahler >

Kerry Stottlemyer

Post by Kerry Stottlemyer » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:10 pm

As everyone here is stating ear plugs work I use them almost all the time. Here's a little bit O info. Ear plugs are designed to block sounds in the low frequency ranges as in wind noise, auto and bike exhaust, High frequency sounds will be reduced the same amount or a little less but to our ears the reduction seams only slight until you approach the very high frequencies that most of us can't hear anyway. the higher the frequency the less penetrating power it has. This Is why you can hear some punks bass speaker for miles. Kerry --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "fasteddiecopeman" wrote:
> > Craig, > Ear-plugs REDUCE the amount of sound getting to your ears. That way, rather than > PERMANENTLY damaging your hearing, you TEMPORARILY reduce it. Don't worry - you'll > STILL be able to hear sirens, etc, and after you get off and remove the plugs, you'll be
able
> to carry on a normal conversation, rather than hollering "What? What? Can you speak > LOUDER!"! > Cheers, > Ed (who has used a hearing aid for the last 20 years) > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote: > > > > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while > > riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear > > what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching > > tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of > > hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions > > are apprecated). > > > > Craig Kahler > > >

usa1911a1

Post by usa1911a1 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:01 pm

I applaud your intention and will watch the posts for any success that you can bring us. I had similar thoughts when I got back into riding a year ago. For as often as I have thought about it, and read concerns about hearing loss and ringing in the ear, I have yet to see or hear anything that matches the simplicity of the ear plug. I admit that I thought I was going to miss the very sounds that could save my life, but am surprised by how well I hear even with the ear plugs. I think that you become more aware of your surroundings and the sound level is very near that of sitting in a cage. Good luck, but meanwhile - wear your plugs. Capt. Bob in Durham, CT. USA http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/ http://seniorbiker.blogspot.com 2006 A6F KLR Green Tires: Mefo 99 Explorers Country roads (20% dirt), dual tracks. NY State and Northern New England
----- Original Message ----- From: ckahleer To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:35 AM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Questioning the use of ear plugs Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise while riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to hear what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons, screaching tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense of hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any sugestions are apprecated). Craig Kahler [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Ear plugs block sound below a 25 or 30 Db level so you will still hear sounds above that including wind noise, etc. The difference is that the sound level reduction will reduce fatigue and hearing damage. Many of us find that we hear better because the bulk of the noise is reduced. Try it to see how it works for you. The only down side of ear plugs for me is that they affect my equilibrium- strange but there is is. Always has. HIH Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

theseventhfirst

Post by theseventhfirst » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:11 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote:
> > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise > while riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to > hear what is going on around me. >
How long do you want to be able to hear them? Simply put, noise over 80 dB will cause permanent hearing loss. So if you ride your bike enough on the highway, you won't be able to hear when bike-riding, or ever again. Noise also creates fatigue, which diminishes your response time. Earplugs reduce the sound pressure, but don't eliminate it, so you'll still hear horns and other loud noises. A full-face helmet is generally a lot quieter (and safer) than an open face with screen.

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:20 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "ckahleer" wrote:
> > Many have advocated the wearing of ear plugs to combat wind noise
while
> riding the KLR. I am reluctant to take this advice, as I want to
hear
> what is going on around me. I want to hear horns, sirons,
screaching
> tires, and the sound of my bike. For defensive driving, our sense
of
> hearing is only second to vision. I am looking into more efficient > helmets and windshields to reduce wind noise on my KLR. (any
sugestions
> are apprecated). > > Craig Kahler >
Hello Craig, Hearing. Seeing. Touch. Taste. All gifts of the creator to do as we please. Doing with a gift/choice as we please: This 'theology' is called the "Doctrine of Free Will". We (all) exercise free- choice/free will all the time, maybe we just didnt know what is is called. Not protecting your hearing, when it is a 'known' casualty of loud noise and frequency intrusion/penetration, is forfeiting a gift unnecessarily. Some of the choices we make are better than others. I submit, that riding without hearing protection is a poor choice. shrug. It your (our own) gift. See as you see fit to use it. Without adequate protection, this discussion will soon be a moot point. revmaaatin.

Randy Kuklis

Post by Randy Kuklis » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:44 am

Deaf people drive. Some, quite well. I use molded silicon earplugs while riding any of my bikes (touring, sport, KLR), at high speeds for long distance while wearing a full face helmet. The purpose of the earplugs are not to completely eliminate all sounds, but to filter out the low frequencies that come from wind noise. With earplugs and a full face helmet, I can clearly hear all sounds around me, except for wind noise. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]