modification #77

DSN_KLR650
Jeff Saline

warranty usage

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Listers, Just wondering if anyone has ever used the warranty on a KLR???? If you did was it a good or bad experience? What was it for? Was your bike modified in any way? Thanks for your consideration in replying. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Kevin Powers

warranty usage

Post by Kevin Powers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 pm

My bike came from the PO with an extended warranty. I recently had the ignition switch and wiring replaced due to a failed connector and resulting short. The first service tech said it wouldn't be covered, but when I asked him to double check the other service tech said it would be. When I picked the bike up the first tech said they had to charge me a standard "diagnostic fee" - again I suggested he double check and the second tech took care of it. The only out of pocket cost to me ended up being the replacement fuel tank lock so that it would use the same key as the ignition. Kevin
On 4/16/07, Jeff Saline wrote: > > Listers, > > Just wondering if anyone has ever used the warranty on a KLR???? > > If you did was it a good or bad experience? > > What was it for? > > Was your bike modified in any way? > > Thanks for your consideration in replying. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

warranty usage

Post by Jeff Saline » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:57 pm

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:37:19 -0600 "Kevin Powers" writes:
> My bike came from the PO with an extended warranty. I recently had > the > ignition switch and wiring replaced due to a failed connector and > resulting > short. The first service tech said it wouldn't be covered, but when > I asked > him to double check the other service tech said it would be. When I > picked > the bike up the first tech said they had to charge me a standard > "diagnostic > fee" - again I suggested he double check and the second tech took > care of > it. The only out of pocket cost to me ended up being the > replacement fuel > tank lock so that it would use the same key as the ignition. > > Kevin
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Kevin, Thanks for the reply on your warranty experience. You're the first. I wonder if there are others. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Jud Jones

warranty usage

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Saline wrote:
> > Kevin, > > Thanks for the reply on your warranty experience. You're the first. I > wonder if there are others. >
I bought my KLR used, as I have most of my bikes. but i have never had a warranty claim on any of my three new bikes, and never had a mechanical problem with any of my bikes that warranted a trip to a dealer. I ordinarily counsel my clients against buying extended warranties, but I secretly wish more people would purchase them. The inevitable squabbles over coverage could be a great source of revenue.

E Hines

warranty usage

Post by E Hines » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 am

My 2003 also came with the extended warranty from the PO. I have had two rear shocks replaced on it under the warranty and at no cost to me. The only problem I had was waiting for the shocks to come in. Both took about a week to come in. Jeff Saline wrote: On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:37:19 -0600 "Kevin Powers" writes:
> My bike came from the PO with an extended warranty. I recently had > the > ignition switch and wiring replaced due to a failed connector and > resulting > short. The first service tech said it wouldn't be covered, but when > I asked > him to double check the other service tech said it would be. When I > picked > the bike up the first tech said they had to charge me a standard > "diagnostic > fee" - again I suggested he double check and the second tech took > care of > it. The only out of pocket cost to me ended up being the > replacement fuel > tank lock so that it would use the same key as the ignition. > > Kevin
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Kevin, Thanks for the reply on your warranty experience. You're the first. I wonder if there are others. Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Powers

warranty usage

Post by Kevin Powers » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 am

Dang, how did you pull that off? I would have expected them to define shocks as a wear item. Kevin
On 4/17/07, E Hines wrote: > > My 2003 also came with the extended warranty from the PO. I have had two > rear shocks replaced on it under the warranty and at no cost to me. The > only problem I had was waiting for the shocks to come in. Both took about a > week to come in. > > *Jeff Saline * wrote: > > On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:37:19 -0600 "Kevin Powers" > > > writes: > > My bike came from the PO with an extended warranty. I recently had > > the > > ignition switch and wiring replaced due to a failed connector and > > resulting > > short. The first service tech said it wouldn't be covered, but when > > I asked > > him to double check the other service tech said it would be. When I > > picked > > the bike up the first tech said they had to charge me a standard > > "diagnostic > > fee" - again I suggested he double check and the second tech took > > care of > > it. The only out of pocket cost to me ended up being the > > replacement fuel > > tank lock so that it would use the same key as the ignition. > > > > Kevin > <><><><><><><><> > <><><><><><><><> > > Kevin, > > Thanks for the reply on your warranty experience. You're the first. I > wonder if there are others. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT > > > > -- Kevin Powers White Bear Lake, MN [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jeff Saline

warranty usage

Post by Jeff Saline » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 am

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 06:49:22 -0000 "Jud Jones" writes:
> > I bought my KLR used, as I have most of my bikes. but i have never > had a warranty claim on > any of my three new bikes, and never had a mechanical problem with > any of my bikes that > warranted a trip to a dealer. > > I ordinarily counsel my clients against buying extended warranties, > but I secretly wish more > people would purchase them. The inevitable squabbles over coverage > could be a great source > of revenue.
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Jud, Thanks for your input. : ) Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Jeff Saline

warranty usage

Post by Jeff Saline » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:38 am

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:07:09 -0700 (PDT) E Hines writes:
> My 2003 also came with the extended warranty from the PO. I have had > two rear shocks replaced on it under the warranty and at no cost to > me. The only problem I had was waiting for the shocks to come in. > Both took about a week to come in.
<><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><> Ed, Thanks for that info. I might just have to put my worn out shock back on. : ) Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT

Howard Morris

warranty usage

Post by Howard Morris » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 am

Yep, I did. At about 8000 miles my top end was junk. Got to be where I was spending more $ for oil than gas. lol My dealers tech did the entire topend and I paid out of pocket $15.00 bucks. I had all the normal farkels and the mods were never an issue. It ran real good after that........... Howard A-18 (christine A-18) --------------------------------- Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kennethhenton

warranty usage

Post by kennethhenton » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:32 am

My '02 was not charging and I returned it to the selling dealer in the fall of '02. They charged me 75.00 and declared the bike was fine and I wasn't riding it enough. I contacted Kawasaki who said I could take it to another dealer. Midwest Kawasaki in Ferguson MO didn't bat an eye that I hadn't bought the bike from them, put a voltmeter on it, went in and pulled a regulator from stock, installed it while I watched and sent me on my way after calling the selling dealer and suggesting they refund my 75.00. Guess where I bought my '07? Guess which dealer is no longer in business? That is my only KLR warranty experience. Ken