new to list and have an oil question

DSN_KLR650
Kevin Angus

bike idles but floods and dies

Post by Kevin Angus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 am

When I start the 94 KLR650 (5500 mile)it idles fine and the choke works, after warming up as I increase the RPM the engine dies from flooding (black smoke from the exhaust) I took it to a local shop and after three weeks they said it was the carb and wanted $500 to fix it, I picked up the bike and installed a new carb but it does the same thing. Dies when I increase the RPM. I tried searching the archive but the server keeps giving me a error message. Anyone have any idea where to start? Thanks The new carb was from England, has the air screw cap removed.

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:37 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Angus" wrote:
> > When I start the 94 KLR650 (5500 mile)it idles fine and the choke > works, after warming up as I increase the RPM the engine dies from > flooding (black smoke from the exhaust) > I took it to a local shop and after three weeks they said it was the > carb and wanted $500 to fix it, I picked up the bike and installed a > new carb but it does the same thing. Dies when I increase the RPM. > > I tried searching the archive but the server keeps giving me a error > message. > Anyone have any idea where to start? > Thanks > > The new carb was from England, has the air screw cap removed. >
How is the air filter? Any mice nesting in the airbox? Is your battery charging?

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:27 pm

I have tried posting to the message I started but nothing ever shows up!~ I measured the coil and found: Coil + terminal to ground = 0.8 ohm the manual shows: 0.17~0.25 ohm Plug lead to ground = 9K the manual shows: 3.2~4.8K ohm Is my coil screwed? Does anyone have access to a coil that they can check these measurements? Thanks - I hope this message makes it, its my fourth try.

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:01 am

>I measured the coil and found: >Coil + terminal to ground = 0.8 ohm the >manual shows: 0.17~0.25 ohm >Plug lead to ground = 9K the manual shows: >3.2~4.8K ohm >Is my coil screwed? Does anyone have >access to a coil that they can >check these measurements?
I'll try to find time to pull the right shroud tomorrow night and check. Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:05 pm

The flooding I speak of is black smoke, way rich running, if you back off the gas the engine starts to idle and clears up. It acts like the timing does not advance or there is hi-voltage breakdown in the coil, as the RPM increases the coil shorts out internally. This effect happened on my old carb and my new one, all the gas lines are new, the fuel filter has been removed, the tank has been replaced with a small plastic tank for testing. The valve clearance shims were adjusted. Not an easy problem. _____ From: Taralynn [mailto:taralynnbernard@...] On Behalf Of AT Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:36 AM To: kangus@... Subject: Re:Bike idles but floods and dies I feel you are barking up the wrong tree here. The fitting where the fuel inlet line goes into the carb, is pressed into a rubber O ring. What will happen, a small piece of this gets torn off and can work loose. It will be just large enough it won't completely pass the needle seat for the float causing it to stick open, flooding the carb. Remove the fitting, get this piece(s) out (using air, a straight pin, anything) and it will be fine. Been there, done that, problem solved... Why are you checking the coil if it is flooding? -Andy [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:07 pm

The flooding I speak of is black smoke, way rich running, if you back off the gas the engine starts to idle and clears up. It acts like the timing does not advance or there is hi-voltage breakdown in the coil, as the RPM increases the coil shorts out internally. This effect happened on my old carb and my new one, all the gas lines are new, the fuel filter has been removed, the tank has been replaced with a small plastic tank for testing. The valve clearance shims were adjusted. Not an easy problem. _____ From: Taralynn [mailto:taralynnbernard@...] On Behalf Of AT Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:36 AM To: kangus@... Subject: Re:Bike idles but floods and dies I feel you are barking up the wrong tree here. The fitting where the fuel inlet line goes into the carb, is pressed into a rubber O ring. What will happen, a small piece of this gets torn off and can work loose. It will be just large enough it won't completely pass the needle seat for the float causing it to stick open, flooding the carb. Remove the fitting, get this piece(s) out (using air, a straight pin, anything) and it will be fine. Been there, done that, problem solved... Why are you checking the coil if it is flooding? -Andy [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:14 pm

Kevin Angus

Post by Kevin Angus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Jud Jones

Post by Jud Jones » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:50 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Angus" wrote:
> > The flooding I speak of is black smoke, way rich running, if you back off > the gas the engine starts to idle and clears up. It acts like the timing > does not advance or there is hi-voltage breakdown in the coil, as the RPM > increases the coil shorts out internally. This effect happened on my old > carb and my new one, all the gas lines are new, the fuel filter has been > removed, the tank has been replaced with a small plastic tank for testing. > The valve clearance shims were adjusted. > > Not an easy problem. > > > _____
Not easy indeed. It could be fuel-related, but it could also be a symptom of a fault in the charging system and a discharged batery. Putting a meter on the battery at rest and with the motor running should give you a quick read, and at least rule out electrics if they are not the problem.