DSN_KLR650
Kerry Stottlemyer

how many of you would?????

Post by Kerry Stottlemyer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Buy the HDT diesel KLR. top speed of 100+,(like it matters on a KLR) 100 or so MPG, 500 mile range, and an estimated $20,000.00 price tag. I like the option of burning a few different fuels in the bike but in reality how many times have you said " gee I have all this JP5 and nothing to burn it in" I do like the option of bio-diesel I got a buddy making his fuel at something like .45 cents a gallon. If it's as reliable as (relatively speaking) a standard diesel I'd buy it just for the added fuel economy granted it wouldn't pay for it self anytime soon. But just wondered what you guy's thought. Kerry

Ryan Merrell

Post by Ryan Merrell » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:30 pm

I use my KLR as a commuter as well as for fun. I kicked around the idea of getting the BMW 650 instead. Fuel economy was the primary factor. The BMW was rated at about 60+ while the KLR seems to easily get 50 when you're not screwing around. With a 10 mpg difference and about a $3,000 price difference, the math told me that it would take approximately 350,000 miles to make up that $3,000 difference. I'll stick with what I have for now. A $15,000 difference would take a while to make up, I'm sure. The other factor I'd be curious about is the expected life of the diesel engine. If it had an estimated life of one or two hundred thousand miles, it may be worth it, but I doubt it. I think the range is the factory you buy that one for. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Neil Doane

Post by Neil Doane » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:30 pm

I would, if it were $10k and not $20k.
On 2/19/07, Kerry Stottlemyer wrote: > Buy the HDT diesel KLR. top speed of 100+,(like it matters on a KLR) 100 or so MPG, 500 > mile range, and an estimated $20,000.00 price tag. I like the option of burning a few > different fuels in the bike but in reality how many times have you said " gee I have all this JP5 > and nothing to burn it in" I do like the option of bio-diesel I got a buddy making his fuel at > something like .45 cents a gallon. If it's as reliable as (relatively speaking) a standard diesel > I'd buy it just for the added fuel economy granted it wouldn't pay for it self anytime soon. > > But just wondered what you guy's thought. > > Kerry > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >

Tengai Mark Van Horn

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:37 pm

HDT is in dreamland if they think the bike is worth a penny over $9K. At $20K the bike is a pointless novelty. Even if gas went up to $5 a gallon, I'd have to buy a 2007 showroom leftover for $5K and ride it over 150,000 miles to break even. Mark At 9:30 PM -0700 2/19/07, Neil Doane wrote:
>I would, if it were $10k and not $20k. > >On 2/19/07, Kerry Stottlemyer wrote: >> Buy the HDT diesel KLR. top speed of 100+,(like it matters on a >>KLR) 100 or so MPG, 500 >> mile range, and an estimated $20,000.00 price tag. I like the >>option of burning a few >> different fuels in the bike but in reality how many times have you >>said " gee I have all this JP5 >> and nothing to burn it in" I do like the option of bio-diesel I >>got a buddy making his fuel at >> something like .45 cents a gallon. If it's as reliable as >>(relatively speaking) a standard diesel >> I'd buy it just for the added fuel economy granted it wouldn't pay >>for it self anytime soon. >> >> But just wondered what you guy's thought.

Hedrek

Post by Hedrek » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Diesel KLR Yeah it's a loser. The military is going for a 4 wheeler I'd bet. Watch that Marine KLR video. Down they go in the sand. Then spend 30 minutes picking it up and trying to get out of the sand, while preteens with AK47s are shooting at you. I'd rather be on a well armed 4 wheeler in that situation. Carry more of everything. Big tires, more gas, guns, etc. I would buy a diesel KLR engine, but only to slip into my gorgeous 06 black KLR. With a decent sidecar. Then I could reitre to Mexico. RH --- Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote:
> HDT is in dreamland if they think the bike is worth > a penny over $9K. > At $20K the bike is a pointless novelty. Even if gas > went up to $5 a > gallon, I'd have to buy a 2007 showroom leftover for > $5K and ride it > over 150,000 miles to break even. > > Mark > > > At 9:30 PM -0700 2/19/07, Neil Doane wrote: > >I would, if it were $10k and not $20k. > > > >On 2/19/07, Kerry Stottlemyer > wrote: > >> Buy the HDT diesel KLR. top speed of 100+,(like > it matters on a > >>KLR) 100 or so MPG, 500 > >> mile range, and an estimated $20,000.00 price > tag. I like the > >>option of burning a few > >> different fuels in the bike but in reality how > many times have you > >>said " gee I have all this JP5 > >> and nothing to burn it in" I do like the option > of bio-diesel I > >>got a buddy making his fuel at > >> something like .45 cents a gallon. If it's as > reliable as > >>(relatively speaking) a standard diesel > >> I'd buy it just for the added fuel economy > granted it wouldn't pay > >>for it self anytime soon. > >> > >> But just wondered what you guy's thought. >
Robert Hedrick Albuquerque, NM P.S. What's with all you gay/child molesting Republicans? Dudes, not so macho to the rest of us. ____________________________________________________________________________________ Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit. http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097

LD

Post by LD » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:37 am

I agree, though I think my entry point would be closer to $8,000.00. --------------------------------- Don't pick lemons. See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:46 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "casodders" wrote:
> And for the trip I think I'm gonna try the K761 rear tire. Anyone > have any feedback for milage on this sneaker?
Depends on how low ya wanna go. Figure you'll get 5-6K miles before the tread gets low enough that you probably ought to change it. It'll go a few K past that though before it reaches cord. BTW, it reaches the "wear indicators" at around 3K, but they're set so ludicrously high that you can just ignore them. In general I like the tire, it's a nice compromise between a (mostly) street-only tire like an Avon Gripster and a real dirt-capable tire like the Dunlop D606. It's just damnably hard to find one in stock anywhere, and they're not reassuring in the rain because the Taiwanese don't have the rubber technology of the Yurpeans... _E