new stuff - vendor friday

DSN_KLR650
imperial-4776@webtv.net

baja

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:38 am

Some of us from Oregon are going down to Baja in January (16th to 25th), was wondering if anyone lives close to the border, so we can park my truck and trailer at your place for the duration. We will be crossing at Mexicali. If so please email me at imperial-4776@... Also for anyone that may be interested here's a report I did about Baja in 2001 http://community-2.webtv.net/imperial-4776/MyMexicanAdventure Anyone wanting to join us is welcome too. Thanks Dave Oregon.

benny screws

baja

Post by benny screws » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:40 am

Anyone heading to Baja Feb. 18-28. Does anyone want to go to Baja during those dates? Let me know bhscrews@... Benny H Screws 3232 B Hamilton St Hill AFB, Utah 84056 H 801-779-0513 e-mail, bhscrews@... --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term' [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

gerryjfahey

baja

Post by gerryjfahey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:19 am

I'm a new member. I am going on a trip from Vancouver, Canada to Cabo and back in March. Couple of questions: (1) What spare parts are worth taking: cables? tubes? etc ... (2) Do you need a reservation for ferry from La paz to Topolobampo? (3) What do you think of an after-market, higher windscreen? (4) What route is best north on mainland mexico from Copper Canyon - the coast route? Any replies, comments etc very welcome - Thanks

Eric Lee Green

baja

Post by Eric Lee Green » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:31 am

gerryjfahey wrote:
> I'm a new member. I am going on a trip from Vancouver, Canada to Cabo > and back in March. Couple of questions: > > (1) What spare parts are worth taking: cables? tubes? etc ... >
One 21" tube. Maybe a clutch cable. Maybe spare brake and clutch levers if you're going to go off the beaten path. You may want to change tires in San Diego, contact shops down there and find out what they'll charge to put your favorite tires on the KLR as well as change oil and filter (you'll have over 1500 miles on your oil by then, so why not?). Oil. A can of WD-40 for the chain. Normal toolkit including wrenches for both axles and a couple of tire irons. That's pretty much it. The KLR is pretty much bullet-proof, just add the radiator guard on the left side and snip the ball ends off the levers to keep them from getting busted if you drop the bike, and ride.
> (3) What do you think of an after-market, higher windscreen? >
March is still the rainy season in the Northwest, so a taller windscreen would make it a more pleasant trip. I'm currently using the Slipstreamer CF-30. I've also used the Clearview +11. The Slipstreamer is cheaper but is somewhat difficult to mount, I ended up "modifying" my mounting hardware using a long pipe and a vise. The ClearView buffets more than the SlipStreamer but has marginally better protection (but the Slipstreamer is fine for me). Once you get to Mexico you probably want to go with the stock windshield. Once you reach Southern California, you might want to contact some KLR-istas down there to take temporary possession of your windshield and winter gear (needed to pop over the high-altitude I-5 "hump" between Oregon and California) while you go further south. I'm sure some Southern California KLR-istas will EMAIL you shortly. -E

geobas

baja

Post by geobas » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:30 am

Good morning, The site below is one of the best for Baja information. As far as the Ferry goes there is a special section on the Board that explains everything you'll need to know about reservations. It is a little complicated. If you don't speak Spanish smile a lot it helps, I don't know Spanish and have used the ferry system. The most important thing to remember is that everything you learn might be changed tomorrow. http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/ The easiest way to get to Creel and Batophilas is to head north to Hermosillo and then go east on highway 16 also to Batophillas by way of El Fuerete or Alamos (the prettiest town on the west coast) but it is difficult. Get a map of Mexico, naturally.and also Northern Mexico Handbook by Joe Cummings George Escondido, CA
> >

John

baja

Post by John » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:42 pm

Seven of us are going on a BAJA trip for nine days in three weeks and since I am new to my 04 KLR any suggestions on what I need to take, bike wise. I have used blue loctite on about everything I could get to, have changed the shifter to a solid one, pegs to IMS, seat to Corbin, changed the oil/filter and new air filter, putting new hand guards on. Tires are almost new TKC80's, have monster tubes on order, tire repair kit, irons and compressor as well as the OEM tool kit. Having problems finding a radiator guard (any suggestions, tried dualstar and arrowhead and on B/O). What am I forgetting

Jud Jones

baja

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:
> > Seven of us are going on a BAJA trip for nine days in three weeks and > since I am new to my 04 KLR any suggestions on what I need to take, > bike wise. I have used blue loctite on about everything I could get > to, have changed the shifter to a solid one, pegs to IMS, seat to > Corbin, changed the oil/filter and new air filter, putting new hand > guards on. Tires are almost new TKC80's, have monster tubes on order, > tire repair kit, irons and compressor as well as the OEM tool kit. > Having problems finding a radiator guard (any suggestions, tried > dualstar and arrowhead and on B/O). > What am I forgetting >
A good bash plate and low-profile drain plug. A rubber skirt to keep crap off the rear shock. Relocate the license plate to the fender just below the taillight; trim the inner fender, or just wait for the tire to eat it. Something to protect the headlight lens from rocks: I use the self-adhesive clear plastic from 3M. How are your brake pads, chain and sprockets (carry a spare master link), and wheel bearings? Put some 5/16 fuel line over your chain adjuster studs to keep the nuts from wandering off. Break the countershaft nut loose at home and secure it with the lock tab (or replace with a prevailing torque nut) so you don't have trouble if you need to get it off in the field.

Pat

baja

Post by Pat » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:34 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud Jones" wrote:
> > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote: > > > > Seven of us are going on a BAJA trip for nine days in three weeks and > > since I am new to my 04 KLR any suggestions on what I need to take, > > bike wise. I have used blue loctite on about everything I could get > > to, have changed the shifter to a solid one, pegs to IMS, seat to > > Corbin, changed the oil/filter and new air filter, putting new hand > > guards on. Tires are almost new TKC80's, have monster tubes on order, > > tire repair kit, irons and compressor as well as the OEM tool kit. > > Having problems finding a radiator guard (any suggestions, tried > > dualstar and arrowhead and on B/O). > > What am I forgetting > > > > A good bash plate and low-profile drain plug. A rubber skirt to keep
crap off the rear
> shock. Relocate the license plate to the fender just below the
taillight; trim the inner
> fender, or just wait for the tire to eat it. Something to protect
the headlight lens from
> rocks: I use the self-adhesive clear plastic from 3M. How are your
brake pads, chain and
> sprockets (carry a spare master link), and wheel bearings? Put some
5/16 fuel line over
> your chain adjuster studs to keep the nuts from wandering off. Break
the countershaft nut
> loose at home and secure it with the lock tab (or replace with a
prevailing torque nut) so
> you don't have trouble if you need to get it off in the field. >
I'd add: - 3 pre-oiled air filters in ziplock bags. - Aluminum bark busters if you don't already have 'em. Your handlebars, levers, perches and peso budget will thank you. Commit this survival code to memory: "Mas Cervesas por favor." Pat M

John

baja

Post by John » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:34 am

I am putting on Maier bark busters, low profile mag oil drain plug, have spare head and tail light, brake and clutch levers, tie wraps, electrical wire and tape, duct tape. I have changed the chain adjustments nuts to locking and have located my license plate up. I know I need spare fuses and have found fuses under the seat and by the radiator, where else are they located and what should I take? Is there a main fuse block? Brake pads are new and chain has 1500 miles on it and seems to be fine. Great idea about master link and air filter and have a cee bailey headlight guard on order. "Break the countershaft nut loose at home and secure it with the lock tab (or replace with a prevailing torque nut" I have not had the countershaft off yet, how is it secured. I assume it has lock tabs and you said prevailing torque nut, what prevailing torque nut? I am thinking about taking a spare clutch cable, it that necessary? John
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pat" wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud Jones" wrote: > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote: > > > > > > Seven of us are going on a BAJA trip for nine days in three weeks and > > > since I am new to my 04 KLR any suggestions on what I need to take, > > > bike wise. I have used blue loctite on about everything I could get > > > to, have changed the shifter to a solid one, pegs to IMS, seat to > > > Corbin, changed the oil/filter and new air filter, putting new hand > > > guards on. Tires are almost new TKC80's, have monster tubes on order, > > > tire repair kit, irons and compressor as well as the OEM tool kit. > > > Having problems finding a radiator guard (any suggestions, tried > > > dualstar and arrowhead and on B/O). > > > What am I forgetting > > > > > > > A good bash plate and low-profile drain plug. A rubber skirt to keep > crap off the rear > > shock. Relocate the license plate to the fender just below the > taillight; trim the inner > > fender, or just wait for the tire to eat it. Something to protect > the headlight lens from > > rocks: I use the self-adhesive clear plastic from 3M. How are your > brake pads, chain and > > sprockets (carry a spare master link), and wheel bearings? Put some > 5/16 fuel line over > > your chain adjuster studs to keep the nuts from wandering off. Break > the countershaft nut > > loose at home and secure it with the lock tab (or replace with a > prevailing torque nut) so > > you don't have trouble if you need to get it off in the field. > > > > I'd add: > - 3 pre-oiled air filters in ziplock bags. > - Aluminum bark busters if you don't already have 'em. Your > handlebars, levers, perches and peso budget will thank you. > > Commit this survival code to memory: "Mas Cervesas por favor." > Pat M >

Norm Keller

baja

Post by Norm Keller » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:33 pm

>I am thinking about taking a spare clutch >cable, it that necessary?
Having broken no clutch cables in 40+ years of riding I expressed scepticism about the need to carry a spare clutch cable for the KLR. Lube it and it should last forever, right? Notice the past tense in the previous text? Yes, you can start out without the clutch cable if the engine is warm and the clutch lever is held in to bypass the safety switch. (I have the by-pass switch installed but didn't need it) First the local dealer didn't have a cable in stock, which is the way things work out sometimes so I went down the street to the Yamaha shop and they found an ATV cable which fits with some modifications. I'm still using the much heavier ATV cable and have a new KLR clutch cable wrap-tied parallel to the ATV cable. The ends are sealed by clamping a piece of hose over the bottom end and sealing the hose with silicone. Top is sealed with silicone. The best parts of the experience were: 1) Confirming that the KLR doesn't need to disengage the clutch to get moving although it is really interesting when turning left from a stop into heavy traffic! 2) Didn't happen the weekend before in the middle of a 500 mile, mostly gravel trip... 3) No one posted quotes of my messages opining that a spare cable likely wasn't necessary. (VBG) Carry a spare cable! You may also wish to install a safety switch by-pass switch or make up a set of jumpers and diagram to carry in case you need to by-pass. Have a great ride! Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]