wind

DSN_KLR650
Romar

adjusting the stock doo

Post by Romar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:20 am

I have been thinking. I have an '06 with 4,250 miles on it. I have the aftermarket doo in my garage but the bike is still running with the stock doo. I know the maintenance manual says it should have been adjusted by now but I have shyed away from it and someone on this board said to leave it alone. I have knoticed the bike surging a little and wonder if this is perhaps due to a loose doo? I haven't replaced it yet because: a) I am afraid to & b)I don't have the bent wrench/tools. I have also been wondering if perhaps the reason there is so much doo failure is because of people like me who either don't adjust or other people who adjust it but do so incorrectly? What are your thoughts? Has anyone followed up on broken doo's regarding, Were they adjusted at the recommended intervals? If they were adjusted at the mfg suggested intervals, it would be hard to determine if they were adjusted correctly.

Jud Jones

adjusting the stock doo

Post by Jud Jones » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:42 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Romar" wrote:
> > I have been thinking. I have an '06 with 4,250 miles on it. I have > the aftermarket doo in my garage but the bike is still running with the > stock doo. I know the maintenance manual says it should have been > adjusted by now but I have shyed away from it and someone on this board > said to leave it alone. I have knoticed the bike surging a little and > wonder if this is perhaps due to a loose doo? > > I haven't replaced it yet because: a) I am afraid to & b)I don't have > the bent wrench/tools. > > I have also been wondering if perhaps the reason there is so much doo > failure is because of people like me who either don't adjust or other > people who adjust it but do so incorrectly? > > What are your thoughts? Has anyone followed up on broken doo's > regarding, Were they adjusted at the recommended intervals? If they > were adjusted at the mfg suggested intervals, it would be hard to > determine if they were adjusted correctly. >
There has been a lot of discussion of that question over the years. As far as I can tell, there is no correlation whatever. Many levers that fail have never been adjusted. Many more stock levers are crimped so that they will not self-adjust with the spring.

Samuel Hudson

adjusting the stock doo

Post by Samuel Hudson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 am

I've wondered often if you could just eliminate tha balance shafts all together...too bad the waterpump is driven off of one of them. Course if you think the bike is a little vibey now... --samuelhudson

E.L. Green

wind

Post by E.L. Green » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:23 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "hayduke.klr07" wrote:
> has anyone had their bike blow over due to wind? i was going to ride > today. it was to be warm but pretty windy as well. no place sheltered > to park at work. should i have scared or not?
I've parked my bike at the very tip of Point Reyes (the windiest point in the U.S. according to the little plaque there), and it was still upright when I got back from the hike to the lighthouse. The unloaded KLR in stock form has a lot of lean onto its sidestand, and is pretty hard for wind to knock over. If you've lowered the bike without modifying the sidestand, or have a lot of heavy luggage on the bike that keeps the suspension too compressed for it to fully lean onto the sidestand, well, that's a different story. BTW, I wouldn't have even attempted using a centerstand in these conditions, it would have blown the bike right off the centerstand. -E

Blake Sobiloff

adjusting the stock doo

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 am

On Nov 9, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Romar wrote:
> I have knoticed the bike surging a little and > wonder if this is perhaps due to a loose doo?
Loose driveline chain, not a loose balancer chain. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/blakeblog/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)