chain guard wanted...

DSN_KLR650
vospertw

vendor friday - top gun chain master

Post by vospertw » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 am

I have a relatively new business designed to produce parts for multisurface motorcycles (www.topgunmotorcycles.com). We just finished our first product - the Chain Master - designed to control the upper chain run on the KLR-650. Its primary function is to protect the airbox and vent tube which lie directly above the chain. It also significantly reduces the amount of chain slack present while the rear suspension is compressing which should help reduce chain and sprocket wear even for street-only riders. I have a full write-up with photos on the website (http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/chainmaster/chainmaster.html) and I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

E.L. Green

Post by E.L. Green » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:12 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "vospertw" wrote:
> our first product - the Chain Master - designed to control the upper > chain run on the KLR-650. Its primary function is to protect the > airbox and vent tube which lie directly above the chain.
Color me unconvinced. My chain is correctly adjusted, and when I heard about this product, I went outside, looked at my KLR, and noticed that the drain tube in question is still properly covered with its little plug thingy which appears completely intact. My KLR has 34,000 miles on it. As far as chain life is concerned, maintaining proper lubrication appears to be far more important than slack there, so I'd suggest a ScottOiler rather than a chain wheel as the best weapon there. If you want to give us something we want and need, look into a two-piece chain slipper so that those of us with worn-out chain slippers don't need to disassemble our entire rear suspension in order to replace it with another OEM chain slipper. The other outfit that was making them as a sideline made one batch, never really marketed them, and quit making them. My chain slipper still has a millimeter or so of plastic between my chain and the metal of the swingarm, but that ain't gonna last forever.... -E

vaklr

Post by vaklr » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:31 am

But, FWIW, I don't think you need to disassemble the swingarm to replace the slipper. I will test this shortly. Cut a new one in two in the middle, horizontally through the side screw hole. Use a punch (or gasket cutter) to pop a hole above your cut, and below your cut, in the center (above and below the original hole). Fabricate a bracket with two tabs and a hole in the center. Space the bent over tabs so they line up with the two holes you punched when the ends are pulled together. Cut, and remove the old slipper. Slip the new one in place over the front of the swingarm. Replace the bottom screw. Position the fab'd bracket in place, engaging the tabs in the holes you punched. Install the center screw, and tighten. This bracket will hold the slipper togeher like it was one piece. Guy A16
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "E.L. Green" wrote: > If you want to give us something we want and need, look into a > two-piece chain slipper so that those of us with worn-out chain > slippers don't need to disassemble our entire rear suspension in order > to replace it with another OEM chain slipper. The other outfit that > was making them as a sideline made one batch, never really marketed > them, and quit making them. My chain slipper still has a millimeter or > so of plastic between my chain and the metal of the swingarm, but that > ain't gonna last forever.... > > -E >

Kurt Grife

Post by Kurt Grife » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:03 pm

> If you want to give us something we want and need, look into a > two-piece chain slipper so that those of us with worn-out chain > slippers don't need to disassemble our entire rear suspension in order > to replace it with another OEM chain slipper. The other outfit that > was making them as a sideline made one batch, never really marketed > them, and quit making them. My chain slipper still has a millimeter or > so of plastic between my chain and the metal of the swingarm, but that > ain't gonna last forever.... >
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Dan Oaks of Dirtly.com offered just what you are asking for, not sure if it is still available. I got one from him a couple of years ago and installation is a snap, Dan also claims that it is more durable than OEM. As to Tod's chain wheel, I did have airbox damage (with a properly adjusted chain.) I installed the chain wheel recently and it did stop any contact between the chain and air box. I have no financial interest in the product but was provided with one to try out. My personal opinion is that it is a good thing for off pavement riders who use all their suspension travel. Regards, Kurt

Jim Priest

Post by Jim Priest » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:25 pm

On 10/6/06, E.L. Green wrote:
> --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "vospertw" wrote: > > our first product - the Chain Master - designed to control the upper > > chain run on the KLR-650. Its primary function is to protect the > > airbox and vent tube which lie directly above the chain. > > Color me unconvinced. My chain is correctly adjusted, and when I heard > about this product, I went outside, looked at my KLR, and noticed that
I had to go outside and look too - 2004 w/9000 miles. I just bought this KLR and it hasn't been abused (yet) and the tube, etc were all intact. It seems like you'd have to really compress the rear end to hit that... so this may be more useful if you do severe off-roading... Jim

Arden Kysely

Post by Arden Kysely » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 pm

I popped outside for a peek on my 31k mile KLR and the tube is fine. I don't do heavy off-roading on my KLR--I save that for my DR-Z--but I do load the KLR up with camping gear and ride some pretty ratty backroads with the occasional suspension bottoming washout and so far no ill effects. Like Eric, my chain runner is getting thin. I checked out dirtly.com and it's all XT225 info now. No products to be found. __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Priest" wrote: > > I had to go outside and look too - 2004 w/9000 miles. I just bought > this KLR and it hasn't been abused (yet) and the tube, etc were all > intact. It seems like you'd have to really compress the rear end to > hit that... so this may be more useful if you do severe > off-roading... > > Jim >

Kurt Grife

Post by Kurt Grife » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:16 pm

> > Like Eric, my chain runner is getting thin. I checked out dirtly.com > and it's all XT225 info now. No products to be found. > > __Arden
<><><><><><><><><><><> You might email Dan directly, a while back he said he still had some KLR sliders and he offers KLR bar risers on ebay. Kurt

yahoo@floatingdoghead.net

chain guard wanted...

Post by yahoo@floatingdoghead.net » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Good day: In inspecting my bike, I've discovered that the "inner" chain guard on the bottom of the swing arm has cracked. It may be getting chewed by the side of the TKC-80 I have on there when the chain swings, or maybe I hit a rock with it... Who knows. My chain is a little loose and needs to be tightened, I'm pretty sure. Anyway, on my '05 (Fast, Red) this is a black piece of plastic that hangs down below the swingarm and keeps the chain from contacting the tire - NOT the white piece of plastic that keeps the chain from jumping the sprocket on the outside - that piece is fine. Does anyone have a spare? Does Fred sell these? Help. Please feel free to respond off-list. -- Jack Bates Placitas, NM, USA I play Texas Hold'Em at http://www.fulltiltpoker.com