no fueling around - can this be?

DSN_KLR650
rschulte46

help! what just happened?

Post by rschulte46 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:07 pm

I found out a number of interesting things about my "06" KLR today. 1) It is possible to take a bath while riding... 2) Hail bounces off a visor but stings like heck on the arms...even with First Gear armored jacket. 3) My boots hold about two ounces of water after getting my socks off. 4) I can serve as an abject lesson to people why they shouldn't buy a motorcycle as they pass me in their cages while I'm on the side of the road... BUT THE REAL REASON FOR THE POST IS: It was a really heavy and constant downpour and suddenly my bike felt as if it was missing. I looked at the mileage since last fill-up (190 miles) and said to myself that I may have just run into reserve, so I flipped the reserve lever forward...no change...if anything it was getting worse and really surging. Pulled in the clutch and tried to rev the engine. Mid range RPM's weren't there, but if I could coax past mid-range it seemed to steady up around 6000 but not well enough to start driving the bike at that power level in a downpour. I didn't try to leave it at idle but each time I went to idle for a few seconds the engine seemed to even out and idelo beautifully. I pulled over under a tree and started to really think about the mess I was in about 10 miles from home...in a dead cell phone area, in a downpour. About this time I looked at the temperature guage and saw it was lower then I have ever seen it before while riding. It usually runs in the 12 o'clock mid position. Anyway standing still, in the rain, on the side of the road I could struggle to hold rpm's and build some heat back into the engine. When I got it back up to about 10 or 11 o'clock, I could move off and run about one mile while the temp guage plummeted and the engine when rough again. I repeated this procedure until I got home. I would like to understand this phenomenon and get suggestions on how to handle the situation better then I did. Any comments? Thanks, Bob Schulte "06"

Doug Herr

Post by Doug Herr » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:25 pm

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, rschulte46 wrote:
> It was a really heavy and constant downpour and suddenly my bike felt > as if it was missing.
Time to do the T-mod: http://www.klr650.marknet.us/tmod.html Hint: This is also called... RAIN T-MOD / CARB VENTING -- Doug Herr doug@...

Michael Silverstein

Post by Michael Silverstein » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:50 pm

Also, the low temperature reading may be a Red Herring. My KLR tends to cool off pretty well in the rain. It also withstands water up to (but not including) the bottom of the seat without issue since doing the T-Mod. Before that it behaved as you described in puddles. Mike A18 KLR650 tires page: [www.standoutnet.com/extras/mike/motorcy ... r650/tires] -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Doug Herr Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 7:20 PM To: rschulte46 Cc: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Help! What just happened?
On Tue, 4 Jul 2006, rschulte46 wrote: > It was a really heavy and constant downpour and suddenly my bike felt > as if it was missing. Time to do the T-mod: HYPERLINK "http://www.klr650.marknet.us/tmod.html"http://www.klr650.-marknet.us/-t mod.html Hint: This is also called... RAIN T-MOD / CARB VENTING -- Doug Herr HYPERLINK "mailto:doug%40wombatz.com"doug@wombatz.-com -- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.8/381 - Release Date: 7/3/2006 -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.8/381 - Release Date: 7/3/2006 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Analog Aardvark

Post by Analog Aardvark » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm

From the FAQ: "Bike stalls in the rain/deep water crossings: This is generally caused by submersion of the carbeurator vent line. This is a clear/transparent pink hose running from the side of the carb down to the bottom of the bike. If this gets clogged, the carb will fail to operate properly and the engine will quit. The best solution is known as the "T-mod:" install a tee in this line near the carb. Route the original line the way it was, and route a second line up under the seat or behind the fairing. Arrowhead Motorsports now sells a kit for this." I've never quite understood how rain could splash enough to be an issue to that tube (water crossings are a whole different thing) but lots of people have that problem and this solution. Of course, if you've already done it, then things are more complex. -Luke --- rschulte46 wrote:
> I found out a number of interesting things about my > "06" KLR today. > > 1) It is possible to take a bath while riding... > 2) Hail bounces off a visor but stings like heck on > the arms...even > with First Gear armored jacket. > 3) My boots hold about two ounces of water after > getting my socks off. > 4) I can serve as an abject lesson to people why > they shouldn't buy a > motorcycle as they pass me in their cages while I'm > on the side of the > road... > > BUT THE REAL REASON FOR THE POST IS: > > It was a really heavy and constant downpour and > suddenly my bike felt > as if it was missing. I looked at the mileage since > last fill-up (190 > miles) and said to myself that I may have just run > into reserve, so I > flipped the reserve lever forward...no change...if > anything it was > getting worse and really surging. Pulled in the > clutch and tried to > rev the engine. Mid range RPM's weren't there, but > if I could coax > past mid-range it seemed to steady up around 6000 > but not well enough > to start driving the bike at that power level in a > downpour. I didn't > try to leave it at idle but each time I went to idle > for a few seconds > the engine seemed to even out and idelo beautifully. > I pulled over > under a tree and started to really think about the > mess I was in about > 10 miles from home...in a dead cell phone area, in a > downpour. About > this time I looked at the temperature guage and saw > it was lower then > I have ever seen it before while riding. It usually > runs in the 12 > o'clock mid position. Anyway standing still, in the > rain, on the side > of the road I could struggle to hold rpm's and build > some heat back > into the engine. When I got it back up to about 10 > or 11 o'clock, I > could move off and run about one mile while the temp > guage plummeted > and the engine when rough again. I repeated this > procedure until I > got home. I would like to understand this > phenomenon and get > suggestions on how to handle the situation better > then I did. Any > comments? > > Thanks, > > Bob Schulte "06" > > > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Blake Sobiloff

no fueling around - can this be?

Post by Blake Sobiloff » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:54 pm

On 9/18/06, eddiebmauri wrote:
> Does the brand of fuel make that much of a difference?
As you may (or may not) know, I like to hang out online with a bunch of obsessive/compulsive anal retentive oil freaks. That passion and curiosity for oil usually extends to gasoline as well. The question you ask has been, and continues to be, frequently debated. In summary, for mileage, the freshness of the fuel and the quality of the storage tanks makes the biggest difference. If you buy gasoline from a low-volume station that doesn't sump its tanks or clean its filters, your mileage will stink. If you buy your gas from a gas station that always has a line of vehicles waiting to fill up, and that regularly changes the filters, that has newer storage tanks, etc., your mileage will improve. (Note that this can sometimes be thrown for a loop if different brands use different oxygenates, so YMMV if you live in a part of the country that allows for that.) In summary, for long-term engine cleanliness, additives used by any of the "top tier" brands will do an OK job of keeping your injectors/carb and combustion chamber clean (assuming your engine is running correctly). However, many (possibly most) folks run the cheapest stuff they can find from a high volume station and add their own additive. This usually ends up being less expensive than always buying the top tier gas, and the results are usually the same. The two most popular additives are Techron, added once every three months to a tank of gas, or FP60 added to every tankful. -- Blake Sobiloff http://sobiloff.typepad.com/> http://sobiloff.typepad.com/klr_adventure/> San Jose, CA (USA)