farting forks?

DSN_KLR650
yahoo@floatingdoghead.net

del amo motorsports service dept. - best to avoid

Post by yahoo@floatingdoghead.net » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:24 pm

Here's a real-life story of dealer service gone awry... I'm performing an oil change right now on a 2005 KLR 650 with about 4.3K. I had a "Level 1 Service" performed at Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo Beach, CA at 2.6K. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am to find that THESE HACKS threw out my "oil filter tube" when changing the oil and I've been running unfiltered oil in my brand new engine for 1.7K miles. AVOID DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS IN REDONDO BEACH, CA - THEY DON'T RTFM. -- Jack Bates Placitas, NM, USA I play Texas Hold'Em at http://www.fulltiltpoker.com

kestrelfal

Post by kestrelfal » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:26 am

Sorry to hear that. It'll probably be OK. Change the oil a couple of times for peace of mind. Install a magnetic drain plug for some more peace of mind. It's enough to freak you out. (Good thing your air filter didn't have a hole in it for 10K miles ~ I know about that one) Get them to reimburse you for everything. *You* are now officially broken-in! Enjoy the ride and be safe. Fred
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, yahoo@... wrote: > > > Here's a real-life story of dealer service gone awry... > > I'm performing an oil change right now on a 2005 KLR 650 with about 4.3K. > I had a "Level 1 Service" performed at Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo > Beach, CA at 2.6K. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am to find > that THESE HACKS threw out my "oil filter tube" when changing the oil and > I've been running unfiltered oil in my brand new engine for 1.7K miles. > > AVOID DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS IN REDONDO BEACH, CA - THEY DON'T RTFM. > > -- > Jack Bates > Placitas, NM, USA > I play Texas Hold'Em at http://www.fulltiltpoker.com >

Doug Herr

Post by Doug Herr » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:38 am

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, yahoo@... wrote:
> Here's a real-life story of dealer service gone awry... > > I'm performing an oil change right now on a 2005 KLR 650 with about 4.3K. > I had a "Level 1 Service" performed at Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo > Beach, CA at 2.6K. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am to find > that THESE HACKS threw out my "oil filter tube" when changing the oil and > I've been running unfiltered oil in my brand new engine for 1.7K miles. > > AVOID DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS IN REDONDO BEACH, CA - THEY DON'T RTFM.
People often seem to think that a Kawasaki dealer would be the proper place to get "expert" work done on their Kawasaki. It sure seems to make sense. Yet, your and many others, experiences show how false that logic is. Just wait 'till you go in to get a replacement tube and they blame you for the whole thing. -- Doug Herr doug@...

Don S

Post by Don S » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:34 am

In the event that one requires the service of professional mechanics, it isn't essential to bring the KLR to a Kawasaki dealership. I, for one am very fortunate to have probably the best motorcycle dealership in town. Just so happens that they have the best mechanics and support staff. When you go through the local Kawasaki dealership service area, there is every make of bike parked out there for repairs. I saw Suzukis, Yamahas, Honda, Harleys and BMWs. Most knowledgeable bikers in this area avoid the other dealerships. These guys go out of their way to help you. I recall seeing a rear sproket sitting on the carrier rack on the back of a brand new KLR. I asked if the buyer was changing his gearing. They replied that the bike wasn't sold and the sprocket was there to be installed on the same KLR. I then noticed that the bike's sprocket was missing. They advised that a biker passing through needed a sprocket and they didn't have one in stock. They took the one from the new KLR to sell to him. That's what I call service! If any of you are ever travelling through Northwestern Ontario and need service, go to Excalibur. The point I'm trying to make is that, if the Kawasaki dealer in your area is unsatisfactory, find the best dealer who repairs bikes and go to them. They have manuals and access to parts. If a person doesn't have the experience, confidence or tools to carry out the the more difficult tasks, finding a good mechanic is a precsious discovery. Talk to other bikers in your area. They'll guide you to a good dealership. Don Doug Herr wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, yahoo@... wrote: > Here's a real-life story of dealer service gone awry... > > I'm performing an oil change right now on a 2005 KLR 650 with about 4.3K. > I had a "Level 1 Service" performed at Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo > Beach, CA at 2.6K. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am to find > that THESE HACKS threw out my "oil filter tube" when changing the oil and > I've been running unfiltered oil in my brand new engine for 1.7K miles. > > AVOID DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS IN REDONDO BEACH, CA - THEY DON'T RTFM. People often seem to think that a Kawasaki dealer would be the proper place to get "expert" work done on their Kawasaki. It sure seems to make sense. Yet, your and many others, experiences show how false that logic is. Just wait 'till you go in to get a replacement tube and they blame you for the whole thing. -- Doug Herr doug@... --------------------------------- Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John & Rosie Wong

Post by John & Rosie Wong » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:55 am

That's bad news. I just got my bike back a couple weeks ago from Del Amo Motorsports for a Level 1 service. They had my bike for over 4 weeks all the while telling me they would have it ready in a couple days each time I called. I'm going to pull my oil filter to see if they threw my oil tube out as well. BTW, they sold me a bad battery -- it was dropped! They replaced it free of charge. Still, it burns me they screw up when I'm paying top dollar for what's supposed to be professional service. John A10 Lomita, CA

John & Rosie Wong

Post by John & Rosie Wong » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 pm

I checked my oil filter and the tube is there. You had me scared there for a minute. John

revmaaatin

Post by revmaaatin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:56 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, John & Rosie Wong wrote:
> > I checked my oil filter and the tube is there. You had me scared
there
> for a minute. > > John >
Hi John- NOTE: this message may contain political and/or religious content Not to take sides here, because it is inexcusable for a motorcyle shop to throw away the oil-filter-tube, but there is a reason that the 'tube'is mentioned in the FAQ. Could it be, IRT the tube, that there are those who threw it away, and perhaps, those who will? Throwing it away is perhaps more common than we think, otherwise why would it be readily available from our friend Fred Hink? just thinking out loud. revmaaatin.

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Yes, it does happen more than you would think. The best ones are the frantic calls from a bike shop needing this tube ASAP. I see lots of stuff about the KLR that most of you don't . 8-0 Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/cmc.html
----- Original Message ----- From: revmaaatin To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 7:56 PM Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Del Amo Motorsports Service Dept. - BEST TO AVOID --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, John & Rosie Wong wrote: > > I checked my oil filter and the tube is there. You had me scared there > for a minute. > > John > Hi John- NOTE: this message may contain political and/or religious content Not to take sides here, because it is inexcusable for a motorcyle shop to throw away the oil-filter-tube, but there is a reason that the 'tube'is mentioned in the FAQ. Could it be, IRT the tube, that there are those who threw it away, and perhaps, those who will? Throwing it away is perhaps more common than we think, otherwise why would it be readily available from our friend Fred Hink? just thinking out loud. revmaaatin. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

yahoo@floatingdoghead.net

Post by yahoo@floatingdoghead.net » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:05 pm

I'm going to filter the oil I took out of the bike through a coffee filter and see how much metal is in there. If it's interesting, I'll post to the group. If I hadn't have been stuck in a rental without a place to do work, I never would have taken my bike to these bozos. LA is too damned expensive a place to live reasonably. I honestly felt like I was getting ripped off with just about every business situation I had there. This was no execption - not then - not now. Interestingly, I also have a KLR 250 - "Jr". So that I could go out on my ride today, I "borrowed" the oil bypass tube from Jr. That's the second time Jr. has come in handy for a part to keep my main ride going strong. The ride to the Jemez today was great. Present, were three other members of my Placitas-based motorcycle gang: a guy on a souped-up Ducati, a Buell Ulysses, an Ninja 250 - and me on the KLR 650. Had a blast. CHEERS -- Jack Bates Placitas, NM, USA I play Texas Hold'Em at http://www.fulltiltpoker.com

Oldrice

Post by Oldrice » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:34 am

Hi Fred, BTW - I ordered parts from another place on Monday. I ordered something else (from BikeBoneyard?) on Tuesday. I ordered from you Thursday night - it came in the mail yesterday! So far nothing else has come from the others. Just in time for todays ride. Thank you Fred! As usual, Arrowhead rocks. Geoff- www.oldrice.com