[dsn_klr650] another poorly running klr question.

DSN_KLR650
EXT-Dave.Svoboda@nokia.com

prevailing torque nut

Post by EXT-Dave.Svoboda@nokia.com » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:46 pm

I remember reading on some web-page about a countershaft sprocket nut for the KLR that doesn't need the bent washer. I recall it was something like a "prevailaing torque" locknut that had some material machined from it to fit. Who has those? I need one. -- Dave Svoboda, Sandy Eggo 98 KLR650

s2mumford

prevailing torque nut

Post by s2mumford » Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:55 pm

http://www.sagebrushmachine.com Jake Jakeman, Proprietor. A gentleman and a scholar. Call him on the phone, if you dare! Stu Mumford Riverside CA PS Dave are you on the SoCalDualSport list ? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SoCalDualSport/
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., wrote: > I remember reading on some web-page about a countershaft > sprocket nut for the KLR that doesn't need the bent washer. > I recall it was something like a "prevailaing torque" > locknut that had some material machined from it to fit. > > Who has those? I need one. > > -- Dave Svoboda, Sandy Eggo > 98 KLR650

Gord Mounce

prevailing torque nut

Post by Gord Mounce » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:22 pm

On a similar note - anyone happen to know the size of the countershaft sprocket nut? gord

Chris Krok

prevailing torque nut

Post by Chris Krok » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:26 am

> From: "Jim The Canoeist" > Subject: Re: Re: Ideal Gearing? > > Thad, the only thing I've ever seen here is testimony that the nut only > needs half as much torque. When I receive my replacement nut and unless I > learn different, I'm going to tighten "by feel" to about 40 foot-pounds. > > Perhaps Jake or someone can guide us. I am still struggling with the stock > nut and washer but my Jake nut is on-order.
Is a prevailing torque nut a deformed-thread nut? If so, wouldn't it require _more_ torque to give the same clamping power? i.e., if the original required torque is 70 ft-lbs, and the nut provides 20 ft-lbs of resistance, wouldn't you want to tighten to 90 ft-lbs? Or is the main concern just to keep it from loosening? Krokko

Devon

prevailing torque nut

Post by Devon » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:40 am

a14@... wrote:
>>Is a prevailing torque nut a deformed-thread nut? If so, wouldn't it >>require _more_ torque to give the same clamping power? >> >Yes, the threads are deformed. The nut only needs to be tightened >enough to eliminate any in and out play of the sprocket on the shaft >and a little more to keep it from loosening on its own. > >Walt and also named Jakes' Right Nut. >A14 "War Horse" >
It depends on how loose the countershaft sprocket is on your countershaft. I usually have to tap sprockets on with a rubber mallet, so all I need is something to keep it from sliding sideways. The high torque is to keep a sprocket that has wiggle room (on a small-end-of-the-tolerance countershaft and big-end-of-tolerance sprocket) from messing up the splines, and working the nut loose in the process. No wiggle room, no need for caveman tightening. Devon

tebklr

prevailing torque nut

Post by tebklr » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:45 pm

Prevailing torque nuts are used in applications where vibration (or other factors) may cause loss of applied torque during service (y'all knew that already). Someone asked if the prevailing torque to drive the nut on the shaft was subtracted from the torque that generated clamp load. The answer is yes. I haven't been inside a KLR transmission, but there may be some (very good) reason that the KHI engineers are specifying such a high torque on the c/s sprocket nut. Typically, it would be to provide correct end load on a bearing, a "stack" of bearings or a shaft. Recall that KHI changed tranny internals when they changed from the retainer-type c/s sprocket to the high-torque nut. I would (and have) use the recommended torque value. I know its a hassle, but it makes sense. FWIW, Tom A14

bmrbill

prevailing torque nut

Post by bmrbill » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:42 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Walt" wrote:
> > Is a prevailing torque nut a deformed-thread nut? If so,
wouldn't it
> > require _more_ torque to give the same clamping power? i.e., if
the
> > original required torque is 70 ft-lbs, and the nut provides 20
ft-lbs of
> > resistance, wouldn't you want to tighten to 90 ft-lbs? Or is
the main
> > concern just to keep it from loosening? > > > > Krokko > > > -- > > Dr. J. Christopher Krok > > John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel > > Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125 > > > > > > Yes, the threads are deformed. The nut only needs to be tightened > enough to eliminate any in and out play of the sprocket on the
shaft
> and a little more to keep it from loosening on its own. > > Walt and also named Jakes' Right Nut. > A14 "War Horse"
So what did you name his left one? Sorry, that was too easy. Bill

kenmcklr

prevailing torque nut

Post by kenmcklr » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:39 pm

I am thinking about using the prevailing torque nut,sold by Arrowhead, on my countershaft sprocket. Any of the members use this instead of the original nut and washer? Can it be reused numerous times or is it a one or two time used item? Thanks for any advise. Ken in Katy Tx.

Kimosabe

[dsn_klr650] another poorly running klr question.

Post by Kimosabe » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:58 pm

WOW! That's a beauty! -- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Catfish wrote:
> > Oh, he's a bike nut too. > This was one of his. > http://www.catfishracing.com/For%20Sale/Vintage.htm > He works on Fuel Injection all day but can tickle a carb when he
has to.
> : ) > I'll pass it on. > Thanks. > > Catfish > http://stores.eBay.com/FarkleMasters > www.FarkleMasters.com > IBA #12835 > AMA Lifer 462122 > > > Your friend is likely not used to dealing with gravity feed fuel
supply so
> he may have overlooked the possibility that there is a restriction
in the
> fuel petcock, pickup screens, fuel filter (if aftermarket
installed), fuel
> hose or carb. I suggest that you try opening the carb bowl drain
and see if
> there is a steady flow. Given that the KLR doesn't require a fire
hose level
> of fuel supply, it will require bit of interpretation to determine
whether
> fuel supply is sufficient. > > HIH > > Norm >