front wheel alignment

DSN_KLR650
Mike McC

nklr tire compressor

Post by Mike McC » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Though this is somewhat off topic I blame this group for this particular problem I m having. You all have convinced me to change my own tires and be more self sufficient in all aspects of keeping my 05 KLR running right, so I m hoping you might have some answers. It s the least you can do after all the trouble I've gone through adjusting valves, changing oil, breaking down tires. ;) In addition to the HF tire changer, I bought a Sears electric compressor. It s a small one (15310) that s has 1.5 HP,pressure of 125lbs, with a 3 gallon tank. It barely inflates the tires. I thought it might be the inflator chuck so I got another one from Kragen Auto and it didn t help. The compressor seems to work fine when I use the blower chuck, it goes to 120lbs, shuts off, and will turn back on as it get down below 80 lbs. There also seems to be plenty of air pressure with the blower, the regulator regulates the amount of air from a weak stream to a much stronger stream, but it takes forever to inflate a tire. It does this on all four of my motorcycle tires (the KLR and the HD), three with metal valves and one with rubber. It does this with either of the inflator chucks. The air barely goes into the tire (you can hear a weak hiss) and sometimes it completely stops. No amount of jiggling or adjusting the chuck has any effect. Have I bought an anemic compressor, am I doing something wrong, or is it defective? Any ideas would be appreciated. TAI, Mike PS I'm on digest mode so I may not respond immediately. The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity. Mike McCourt Fremont, CA. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Jeff Saline

nklr tire compressor

Post by Jeff Saline » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:32 pm

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:49:35 -0700 (PDT) Mike McC writes: SNIP
> In addition to the HF tire changer, I bought a Sears > electric compressor. It s a small one (15310) that s > has 1.5 HP,pressure of 125lbs, with a 3 gallon tank. > > It barely inflates the tires. I thought it might be > the inflator chuck so I got another one from Kragen > Auto and it didn t help. The compressor seems to work > fine when I use the blower chuck, it goes to 120lbs, > shuts off, and will turn back on as it get down below > 80 lbs. There also seems to be plenty of air pressure > with the blower, the regulator regulates the amount of > air from a weak stream to a much stronger stream, but > it takes forever to inflate a tire. > > It does this on all four of my motorcycle tires (the > KLR and the HD), three with metal valves and one with > rubber. It does this with either of the inflator > chucks. The air barely goes into the tire (you can > hear a weak hiss) and sometimes it completely stops. > No amount of jiggling or adjusting the chuck has any > effect. > > Have I bought an anemic compressor, am I doing > something wrong, or is it defective? > > Any ideas would be appreciated. > > TAI, > Mike
<><><><> ><><><><>
Mike, Is the regulator turned up? If you have the regulator set say at 32 psi it will take quite a bit longer than if the regulator is set at 90 psi. Other than that maybe you have a blockage in the hose??? Best, Jeff Saline ABC # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota 75 R90/6, 03 KLR650, 79 R100RT