minimum guage wire for "portable jumper cables"???

DSN_KLR650
Andy Cohen

klr tires

Post by Andy Cohen » Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:58 am

Message: 8    Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 06:36:46 -0000    From: kd4zgk@... Subject: Tires For KLR What are the best dual purpose tires for the klr 650 maybe 60/ dirt 40 street at any rate better than stock.   I am about 1/3 through testing the Avon Gripsters, they seem to be more like 60 street and 40 off road, Stu has a set of Kenda's? I think and he says they are much better for off road than the Gripters.  Avon is coming out with a new tire in a few weeks and it is supposed to be a more off road friendly tire without suffering a loss of street manners, we shall have to see.  If you're interested contact me off list and i'll send a picture of the new Avon tire, I showed it to Fred and we both agree, it looks like a BMW Dakar tire.   Andy Cohen 909-376-9083                        www.finishlinewest.com                             Finishlinewest                     "vision accomplished"    

driftopia

klr tires

Post by driftopia » Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:19 pm

Just curious if anyone has tried the mefo sport tires sold on klr650.com? I'm looking for a durable 50/50 tire for an upcoming trip to copper canyon / baja. Any info or suggestions is appreciated. driftopia

Mike Peplinski

klr tires

Post by Mike Peplinski » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:15 am

I don't have them but have read that they are quite popular in Europe. Apparently the rally guys like them. Medium price and good tread life.
>From: "driftopia" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] klr tires >Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:19:11 -0000 > >Just curious if anyone has tried the mefo sport tires sold on >klr650.com? I'm looking for a durable 50/50 tire for an upcoming trip >to copper canyon / baja. Any info or suggestions is appreciated. > >driftopia > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

Brent Bacon

klr tires

Post by Brent Bacon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 am

I just received two new rear tires from SW Moto. They are the Kenda 761 130/80x17, and the IRC GP110 5.10Sx17. These are the correct sizes according to Chris Krok's Tire Chart on his FAQs. These tires look radically different in size when sitting on the floor, uninstalled, right out of the box. The IRC looks taller by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and skinnier. Can any one tell me if this will make any difference with the bike? Are there any clearance issues with either (IRC taller, Kenda wider)?, Are there any other issues. Thanks Brent Central PA

Arden Kysely

klr tires

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:45 am

I've run the GP110's before with no vertical clearance problems. The big license plate eaters for me have been D606 and TKC-80, but I've moved my plate up out of their way. Haven't run the Kendas, but a too-wide tire will contact the chain guard. And remember, tires grow a bit as they warm and spin, especially our bias-ply skins. I'd trust Doc Krok to have the right info unless someone chimes in with a personal story to the contrary. __Arden
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Bacon" wrote: > > I just received two new rear tires from SW Moto. They are the Kenda > 761 130/80x17, and the IRC GP110 5.10Sx17. These are the correct sizes > according to Chris Krok's Tire Chart on his FAQs. > These tires look radically different in size when sitting on the > floor, uninstalled, right out of the box. The IRC looks taller by > about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and skinnier. > Can any one tell me if this will make any difference with the bike? > Are there any clearance issues with either (IRC taller, Kenda wider)?, > Are there any other issues. > Thanks > Brent > Central PA >

Don S

klr tires

Post by Don S » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:00 pm

As a previous lister had mentioned, the Kenda K270 will ever so slightly rub the chain guard with the very tips of it's outer-most knobs. Not sure about the K761. I initially thought that was what caused the tire to howl at speed on pavement. Then I noticed there was no howl on gravel therefore, eliminating it as the source. Don Brent Bacon wrote: I just received two new rear tires from SW Moto. They are the Kenda 761 130/80x17, and the IRC GP110 5.10Sx17. These are the correct sizes according to Chris Krok's Tire Chart on his FAQs. These tires look radically different in size when sitting on the floor, uninstalled, right out of the box. The IRC looks taller by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and skinnier. Can any one tell me if this will make any difference with the bike? Are there any clearance issues with either (IRC taller, Kenda wider)?, Are there any other issues. Thanks Brent Central PA __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

E.L. Green

klr tires

Post by E.L. Green » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:04 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Brent Bacon" wrote:
> I just received two new rear tires from SW Moto. They are the Kenda > 761 130/80x17, and the IRC GP110 5.10Sx17. These are the correct
sizes
> according to Chris Krok's Tire Chart on his FAQs. > These tires look radically different in size when sitting on the > floor, uninstalled, right out of the box. The IRC looks taller by > about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and skinnier. > Can any one tell me if this will make any difference with the bike?
The Kenda 761 is streetbike-sized, and the IRC is dirtbike-sized. That's the difference you're seeing. The Kenda will handle better on the street due to its shorter stiffer sidewalls (it is *not* actually wider than the IRC, they're the same width), the IRC will work better offroad because its taller sidewalls give more protection to your rims and help absorb shock better than the shorter stiffer sidewalls on the Kenda. Clearance-wise, you probably want to relocate your license plate if you haven't done so already, but otherwise the IRC won't bump anything. The Kenda 761 (which is what I run) won't bump anything anyhow. On the street, run the Kenda 761's at maximum pressure, else the rear flat-spots badly and the front scallops badly. Yeah, experience there. I ran one 761 front at OEM pressure (21PSI) and basically by the time my rear was done, the front was cupped and scalloped bad enough to be worth replacing. You can air them down to about 15PSI on gravel for a bit more traction, but they'll never be GP110's, they'll always be pretty squirmy. On the other hand, they track at obscene silly lean angles on the street, and even with my oversized front brake rotor I have a hard time chirping the front Kenda. Most dirt bike tires, on the other hand, chirp readily even with the stock rotor on the street. My experience with dirtbike-sized tires is that they tend to make the KLR unstable at speeds above 65mph, with a tendency to weave, due to the fact that the taller rear makes the steering rake steeper. My Kenda 761 doesn't weave unless my KLR is *way* overloaded. In short, you have a couple of good tires with different purposes in life and making different compromises to get there. Install whichever one is proper for where you're going, and enjoy.

Brent B

klr tires

Post by Brent B » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks to all that replied about my tire question. I think that I am going to enjoy trying both of these tires. I really appreciate your input. I've been on this group for years and never contribute much, but I get a lot out of it and I depend on the group for everything KLR. A lot of my questions are answered by just reading the post and I never have to ask anything. Sometimes I feel guilty, but not for long. Thanks again, Brent

freediver85032

klr tires

Post by freediver85032 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Consider the Dunlop 607 Trailmax for street use. I got over 13K miles on Phoenix streets from my last set. Ride safely.

E.L. Green

klr tires

Post by E.L. Green » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:42 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "freediver85032" wrote:
> > Consider the Dunlop 607 Trailmax for street use. I got over 13K miles > on Phoenix streets from my last set. Ride safely.
The D607 looks similar to the Metzeler Tourance in both performance and wear. But the Tourance is cheaper. Hmm... -E