need socal 2 day scenic dirt ride

DSN_KLR650
rschulte46

can someone straighten me out.

Post by rschulte46 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:03 pm

Hi! I just purchased a mesh riding jacket from First Gear. I am totally satisfied with it and have just gotten back from a short ride. I was amazed at how cool the mesh is even though the jacket itself is quite heavy. Here is my question. It came with a thin nylon liner inside the coat. It zips in and out and has various loops that it snaps into. Doesn't appear to be something that you would want to do too often. Is this a windbreak of some sort or a sweat barrier or what? When do you leave it in? When do you take it out? Temp today is 80 degrees and I was cool, almost cold with the mesh on over a short sleeve tee. Thanks, Bob from CT.

Robert Drake

Post by Robert Drake » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:27 pm

I've got a First Gear mesh jacket. The liner is great for short distances in light rain and when the temperaturess dip. Here in Montana, the morning temperatures can be in the low 40s during the Summer and the liner is great to keep the wind off. The ride home is in the 90s and riding without the liner is great. I've been known to wear mine with the liner in during the early Spring and into early-Fall. In some areas, the jacket could be worn year-round without the liner. I don't ride without armor and the mesh jacket is on the light side but, I've found that mid-Summer without the liner is great with a soaker vest underneath. The jacket keeps the vest wet longer and seems to absorb some liquid before if soaks into your pants. rschulte46 wrote:
>Hi! >I just purchased a mesh riding jacket from First Gear. I am totally >satisfied with it and have just gotten back from a short ride. I was >amazed at how cool the mesh is even though the jacket itself is quite >heavy. Here is my question. It came with a thin nylon liner inside >the coat. It zips in and out and has various loops that it snaps >into. Doesn't appear to be something that you would want to do too >often. > >Is this a windbreak of some sort or a sweat barrier or what? When do >you leave it in? When do you take it out? Temp today is 80 degrees >and I was cool, almost cold with the mesh on over a short sleeve tee. > >Thanks, > >Bob from CT. > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > >

Norm Keller

Post by Norm Keller » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:17 pm

My Joe Rocket mesh jacket has a similar liner which is intended to make the jacket wind and waterproof. While it does stop wind and water from penetrating inside the jacket it makes it very damp because the liner does not breath. As a compromise, I'm quite happy with it when used with a pile jacket. I carry a windproof nylon shell jacket to wear over the Joe Rocket if it gets nasty while far from home. The nylon shell makes the mesh jacket into a fair trapped air insulator and is very warm. HIH Norm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Pat

Post by Pat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:59 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Robert Drake wrote:
> > I've got a First Gear mesh jacket. The liner is great for short > distances in light rain and when the temperaturess dip. Here in > Montana, the morning temperatures can be in the low 40s during the > Summer and the liner is great to keep the wind off. The ride home
is in
> the 90s and riding without the liner is great. I've been known to wear > mine with the liner in during the early Spring and into early-Fall. In > some areas, the jacket could be worn year-round without the liner. > I don't ride without armor and the mesh jacket is on the light side
but,
> I've found that mid-Summer without the liner is great with a soaker
vest
> underneath. The jacket keeps the vest wet longer and seems to absorb > some liquid before if soaks into your pants. > > rschulte46 wrote: > > >Hi! > >I just purchased a mesh riding jacket from First Gear. I am totally > >satisfied with it and have just gotten back from a short ride. I was > >amazed at how cool the mesh is even though the jacket itself is quite > >heavy. Here is my question. It came with a thin nylon liner inside > >the coat. It zips in and out and has various loops that it snaps > >into. Doesn't appear to be something that you would want to do too > >often. > > > >Is this a windbreak of some sort or a sweat barrier or what? When do > >you leave it in? When do you take it out? Temp today is 80 degrees > >and I was cool, almost cold with the mesh on over a short sleeve tee. > > > >Thanks, > > > >Bob from CT.
= = = Not sure I totally share your experiences with mesh jackets. While mine isn't a 1st Gear, it has no liner, I love the it at temps over 70 - especially when it's really hot in slow traffic. I can use the mesh jacket with light wind liner under down to 55 degrees or so before I need something more, like the combo below. I own two armored jackets, both by Teknic. One is a light mesh with after market CE armor that I wear in the summer or on long trips. If needed over the mesh, I carry a high quality waterPROOF 2-piece rain suit (Helly-Hansen knockoff), and a good pile vest - this is my preferred multi-day outfit. Never too hot even above 90 with mesh alone; NEVER cold or wet even below 30 degrees with the rain suit combo. More versatile than one jacket. The other jacket is equivelent to many on the market like Joe Rocket or First Gear; heavy fabric, waterproof, good CE armor, zip-out liner, 5 zip vents - my local ride/commute jacket for cool-to-cold WX. Pat M A-14

goblinmrkt1

need socal 2 day scenic dirt ride

Post by goblinmrkt1 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:45 pm

Any one know of a good 1-2 day ride off road in SoCal that would be good for the upcoming 4th vacation?