electrical out-put

DSN_KLR650

would you do it again?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:06 am

Hello all, I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you buy the KLR650 again? For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the twisties? Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take the occasional fire road or single track trail. Opinions and ideas are appreciated David

Mike Peplinski

would you do it again?

Post by Mike Peplinski » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:26 am

Not only is this your best choice its your only choice. The SV is total road. Its faster and smoother but not as comfy (read "upright") as the KLR. The KLR is definitely a motocross seating position. I get on my BMW and feel cramped. Cruising is absolutely no problem. From 70MPH you still have plenty of oomph to pass, up to about 85. MIne is very happy at 65. I just don't like to go any faster but there are guys who cruise at 75. KLRs are frequently used for cross country trips. My own saw the Arctic circle (from Wisconsin to Alaska). Changing road conditions present no problem. I take short cuts through fields just because I can. It hardly notices gravel roads. Handles like a dream. The pegs are high and you can easily drag them. No problem in the rain. Side winds are a different matter. I trimmed my front fender and cut the windshield and it handles stiff side winds much better. C'mon, make the right choice; the only choice. Become a KLRista.
>From: "martianbanshee" >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Would you do it again? >Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:54:38 -0000 > >Hello all, >I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as >my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: >if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you >buy the KLR650 again? > >For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > >Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the >tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > >Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles > >Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy >rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and >from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the >twisties? > >Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take >the occasional fire road or single track trail. > >Opinions and ideas are appreciated >David > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >

E Hines

would you do it again?

Post by E Hines » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:28 am

The KLR can handle the twisties very well. It can exceed all posted speed limits. It can also be a good dirt bike, I found that it can climb anything that I was willing to try. It is not even a good two up machine. Yes, I would buy my bike again. I will buy another bike in the future (for two up street riding), but there will always be a KLR in the garage too. martianbanshee wrote: Hello all, I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you buy the KLR650 again? For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the twisties? Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take the occasional fire road or single track trail. Opinions and ideas are appreciated David [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Doug Herr

would you do it again?

Post by Doug Herr » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:50 am

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, martianbanshee wrote:
> if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you > buy the KLR650 again?
It would be a hard decision between the KLR and the "wee-strom". I would consider giving up the dirt to get better road, but it would be a hard sell. -- Doug Herr doug@...

Arden Kysely

would you do it again?

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:03 am

I'm on my second KLR, so yes, I'd do it again. A KLR will be do freeways at 85mph, but you won't be nearly as comfortable as your buddy or wife. 70pmh is pretty tolerable for long rides. You'll leave the cruiser behind in any twisties; the SV will be history if the road is rough or the turns tight. The KLR's wide bars give it super flickability. And when you see an interesting unpaved sideroad, you can go explore it. Just be sure to take some pictures to share with your pavement-bound riding partners 8~) __Arden --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "martianbanshee" wrote:
> > Hello all, > I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now
as
> my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to
you:
> if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would
you
> buy the KLR650 again? > > For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8
miles
> > Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to
and
> from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > twisties? > > Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > the occasional fire road or single track trail. > > Opinions and ideas are appreciated > David >

Jud Jones

would you do it again?

Post by Jud Jones » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:03 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Peplinski" wrote:
> > Not only is this your best choice its your only choice.
Except for maybe a DR650, an excellent bike in its own right. Does everything a KLR can do, a little less roomy on long trips, but better off road.

Don S

would you do it again?

Post by Don S » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 am

David: I too am a born again motorcyclist. I researched many dual purpose bikes extensively and ultimately settled for the KLR. I had the funds to buy a KTM or a BMW, if I so desired. I'm aware that those bikes are more sophisticated than the KLR but when boiled down to the basics, all of the bikes will do the same job albeit somewhat differently. I have a bit of an attitued toward teutonic arrogance in the automotive industry and have difficulty paying four or five thousand bucks more for a bike that probably has only one to two thousand dollars worth of added value (if that). The KLR is an unpretentious bike. It's an honest performer and once the minimal weakensses have been addressed (balancer lever), the bike will provide you with reliable and enjoyable transportation under more circumstances than you are likely capable of handling. If you can ride it to it's limits, you will be well rewarded. If you can't, you will still be well rewarded. It's not a quircky or unusual handling machine. It's predicatable and a hell of a lot of fun. Ride one. You will not be dissappointed. . Don S. martianbanshee wrote: Hello all, I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you buy the KLR650 again? For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 miles Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the twisties? Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take the occasional fire road or single track trail. Opinions and ideas are appreciated David --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Randy Shultz

would you do it again?

Post by Randy Shultz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 am

I own both a KLR and an SV and I disagree that the SV is not as comfortable as the KLR. If you own the naked (standard) SV650, as opposed to the S model, the seating position is more upright and very comfortable. Frankly, for me, it's actually a little more comfortable than the KLR since the slight forward lean takes some pressure off the tailbone. If your SV650 riding buddy exceeds 80 miles an hour it will be unpleasant keeping up with him on a KLR. With stock gearing, and with dirt-oriented tires, I would not be comfortable on a KLR above that speed. In the twisties I can ride as fast or maybe even slightly faster on the KLR versus the SV, and the SV is a great twisties bike. If I were sticking to dirt and gravel roads I would take a close look at Suzuki's DL650 (wee strom) as it shares the SV650 engine, has enough suspension for non-paved roads, and is a pretty good tourer/2 up platform. Personally, where I ride off-road, it's too heavy for me. Since I also have an SV, If I were buying new today I would buy the KLR again. But if I didn't have the SV and I were only buying one bike, and I was sticking to paved and unpaved roads, I would probably buy the DL650 or, if I wasn't touting or riding two-up, I would probably buy/build a supermoto instead. Aprilia's new SXV v-twin factory supermoto looks very interesting to me, depending on how streetable it turns out to be. Husky makes a very interesting dual sport and supermoto in the 610cc size, and people tell me that parts availability isn't a problem anymore. The KLR is a great all-around bike, in my opinion. Just keep in mind what a bike of that weight is gonna feel like in the dirt.

Matt Knowles

would you do it again?

Post by Matt Knowles » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:05 am

On Jun 6, 2006, at 5:54 AM, martianbanshee wrote:
> Hello all, > I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as > my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: > if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would you > buy the KLR650 again? >
I'm on my second one and would certainly go for another if the worst happened to this one.
> For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser.
I'm 45, with a bad back and long legs, and I find the KLR very comfortable posture wise. The seat is getting a replacement shortly and I hope that will solve the one comfort problem I have with the bike.
> > Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 > miles > > Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and > from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > twisties? >
Where I live even the paved roads are pretty twisty and bumpy, and other than Hwy 36, my KLR can be ridden faster than my Sprint ST which has better handling and way more horsepower. I also have an abundance of unpaved roads to explore. If I had to settle on one bike for this area, I'd cry about having to get rid of the Triumph. On the superslab I'd much rather use the Sprint ST, but I try to avoid those in the first place. I'm not real comfortable with my KLR going much past 65mph. Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/motorcycles '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA) '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned

Ronald Criswell

would you do it again?

Post by Ronald Criswell » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:27 am

I was cruising yesterday at 80 - 85 in a hurry to get out of the heat, I thought surely it would burn oil at that speed but didn't seem to much. Criswell
On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Mike Peplinski wrote: > Not only is this your best choice its your only choice. The SV is > total > road. Its faster and smoother but not as comfy (read "upright") as > the KLR. > The KLR is definitely a motocross seating position. I get on my BMW > and feel > cramped. Cruising is absolutely no problem. From 70MPH you still > have plenty > of oomph to pass, up to about 85. MIne is very happy at 65. I just > don't > like to go any faster but there are guys who cruise at 75. KLRs are > frequently used for cross country trips. My own saw the Arctic > circle (from > Wisconsin to Alaska). Changing road conditions present no problem. > I take > short cuts through fields just because I can. It hardly notices gravel > roads. Handles like a dream. The pegs are high and you can easily > drag them. > No problem in the rain. Side winds are a different matter. I > trimmed my > front fender and cut the windshield and it handles stiff side winds > much > better. C'mon, make the right choice; the only choice. Become a > KLRista. > > >From: "martianbanshee" > >To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > >Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Would you do it again? > >Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:54:38 -0000 > > > >Hello all, > >I'm brand new to the group - considering buying a KLR650 right now as > >my return to motorcycling after many years off. My question to you: > >if you had the opportunity tomorrow to buy a new motorcycle, would > you > >buy the KLR650 again? > > > >For those interested, my criteria in a motorcycle: > > > >Posture - sportbikes are too hunched, cruisers too much on the > >tailbone and I'm an old motocrosser. > > > >Rideability - I'm only looking for weekend fun, my commute is 1.8 > miles > > > >Group ride - my wife is stuck on the V-Star 650 and my good buddy > >rides a SV650, can the single thumper keep up on the superslab to and > >from the mountains? Can the KLR "flick" (reasonably well) in the > >twisties? > > > >Road less travelled - I really like the idea of a bike that can take > >the occasional fire road or single track trail. > > > >Opinions and ideas are appreciated > >David > > > > > > > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: > >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]