what's the best battery to buy for a klr 650 and where can i ge

DSN_KLR650
blueridgedualsport

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by blueridgedualsport » Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:29 pm

Excellent Condition. 2700 mi. many extras. $4200 OBO email me @ jedge@... or jmnedge@...

RJS

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by RJS » Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:28 pm

I have a 2001 KLR650 for sale for around $4200. It has supertrapp ids2, skid plate, Corbin seat, k&n filter and jet kit. I will throw in the 2 full face helmets. If you want a picture e-mail me and I'll send you one. If you want the bike, I'll deliver it to just about anywhere for a little extra money. I'll sell the bike for what ever the current pay-off is. My wife and I have to get rid of the bill. If you want to know why you can read the whole story at http://www.okdhs.info ralph shank [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

el_eleven11

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by el_eleven11 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:37 pm

2001 klr650 4k miles, happy trails skid plate, engine guard w/hi-way pegs, acerbis hand guards, happy trails SU luggage racks, happy trails fork brace, shift lever and burly pegs. $4500 arizona.

Rick Hardy

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by Rick Hardy » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:30 pm

I have a nice bike, 3500 miles on it. Selling it for $3500 with a rear wheel stand thrown in. I haven't ridden it much since I got my ST1100 so wife is tapping foot expecting something to go. I don't want it to be me... so I need to sell. I live near Henderson, Texas. email me at lonespader@... if you are interested and I'll send pics. Thanks, Rick Hardy

bill grishaw

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by bill grishaw » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:19 am

just over 1000 miles on it. first 600 mile service performed. new grips and acerbis hand guards. and new seat vinyl. the other had faded a touch. the bike is in great shape. no problems whatsoever. no wrecks. the only issue that a KLR purist might have with it is the yellow paint job i put on it. the job is a good one, but the true KLR enthusiast might prefer the original green. if so, http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/K ... _parts.htm has the plastic and tank for approx. $580.00. you can also, spot some on ebay occasionally. all cosmetic mods i made look as good as original or better. my reason for selling. although the KLR is a great bike, it was my first and i have since discovered that i am a street bike only rider. i bought a ducati and this suits my commute and riding preferences. price ? somewhere around $3500.00 US. being that this is a KLR user group, i know that you guys know the street value, so i am willing to negotiate. i would also entertain partial trade for some bags, boots, jacket, etc. to lower the price down. don't hate me for switching over. i respect the KLR and if i could swing the vote around my house, i'd keep both bikes. but, i'd prefer one bike and a little lovin from my wife occasionally. thanks bill On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 11:11 PM, DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com wrote:
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > - > > There are 25 messages in this issue. > > Topics in this digest: > > 1. RE: Front End Wobbles > From: Kurt Simpson > 2. RE: glad to be back, NKLR > From: "Stuart Mumford" > 3. NKLR - What to do with your leftover pumpkins.. > From: rm@... > 4. RE: Front rim - why not install a wider one? > From: "Stuart Mumford" > 5. wishing 4 a new toy NKLR > From: "moi_yah" > 6. Re: A17 FS or Trade? > From: "Judson D. Jones" > 7. Re: Picked up bike, rode in the rain/cold NKLR > From: "Stu" > 8. Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > From: Devon > 9. Re: Front End Wobbles > From: "Judson D. Jones" > 10. Re: Front End Wobbles > From: "Judson D. Jones" > 11. Re: glad to be back, NKLR > From: ron criswell > 12. Center stand wear > From: "Allan Patton" > 13. Re: opinions on Duro & Kendas > From: "MMMasters28@..." > 14. Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > From: Chris > 15. KLR 650 lighting problem > From: "desert_denizen" > 16. Re: oil pressure indicator? > From: "thad_carey" > 17. Re: KLR 650 lighting problem > From: Chris > 18. Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > From: rm@... > 19. Re: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator > From: Jeff Saline > 20. Re: Front End Wobbles > From: "thad_carey" > 21. Re: Trade 2003 klx400sr dual sport for 2001/2004 klr650 > From: kdxkawboy@... > 22. Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > From: kdxkawboy@... > 23. Re: I did it > From: kdxkawboy@... > 24. Re: KLR 650 lighting problem > From: "Bill Holton" > 25. Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > From: bigfatgreenbike > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 1 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:53:23 -0700 > From: Kurt Simpson > Subject: RE: Front End Wobbles > > Many of us feel those recommendations are compromises on both ends of > the spectrum. I get the most solid feel on pavement with at least 32 > PSI in the front, 30 PSI in the rear. On dirt I air down to 18 without > rim locks front and back. > > Kurt Simpson > Salt Lake City > >>>> Barnaby Robson 11/11/2003 12:32:56 PM >>> > > > -----Original Message----- > From: ssjarz [mailto:stevenkaren@...] > > I was running 36psi in the rear and 34psi in the front because > I had a 22 mile ride on pavement > > > > I would say that those pressures are too high even > for pavement ... you need some rubber on the road > to get good traction for cornering and braking. > > I might be deluding myself but I like to run mid > 20's on the street for safety. > > barnaby. > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 2 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:55:05 -0800 > From: "Stuart Mumford" > Subject: RE: glad to be back, NKLR > > Welcome back Marshall. > > "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..." > > (Hotel) CA Stu A13 > > >> -----Original Message----- >> Finally got things settled down enough to get back to the group, >> really missed this bunch, glad to see the group is growing and doing >> well. Still have the KLX, a little over 22k on the clock now, wish I >> had more time to ride. >> >> Marshall >> "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served) >> 95 KLX650C >> Henderson, TX >> > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 3 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:57:50 -0500 (EST) > From: rm@... > Subject: NKLR - What to do with your leftover pumpkins.. > > > http://www.dieseljo.com/smooveb/ > > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 4 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:00:44 -0800 > From: "Stuart Mumford" > Subject: RE: Front rim - why not install a wider one? > > A suggestion: > Put 1000 miles on the bike bone stock, then start bolting stuff to it > and > doing mods. > > Welcome to the KLR fold > > CA Stu A13 > >> Hi guys. Just picked my first KLR650. The front rim is so skinny - >> narrow. I am thinking about getting a wider rim, so I can fit a wider >> tire. Thoughts? - while we're are at it, how about the same for the >> rear? I know it will increase rotational mass/unsprung weight, which >> is not good, but more 'bite' sounds real good. >> >> Mike T >> Las Vegas >> > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 5 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:11:49 -0000 > From: "moi_yah" > Subject: wishing 4 a new toy NKLR > > found this about the '05 R1200GS while i was daydreaming. > > http://www.calmoto.com/1200GSnews.html > > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 6 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:34:03 -0000 > From: "Judson D. Jones" > Subject: Re: A17 FS or Trade? > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "richard6121" wrote: >> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Hunter, Jonathan" >> >>> Well the wife and I sat down with an architect last night and started >>> designing our new house. We didn't get everything nailed down, but >>> enough to know its going to cost more than we thought. Due to this, >>> I am regretfully thinking of selling my KLR. Let me first say that >>> the only way I am selling this is if I turn around and pick up an >>> older one. So - anyone out there thinking of upgrading from older, >>> to newer? Lets talk. >> >> After selling this six-month-old bike and buying a nice older bike, >> you might net $2500 if you're lucky. Is $2500 extra to put down >> really going to make that much of a dent in your mortgage payment? >> >> Also consider the depreciation hit you've already taken on that A17. >> Those 4800 miles cost you a fortune. I say keep it and rein-in the >> wife's plans for the kitchen a little. >> >> RM > > Good advice. In fact, you'd be lucky to net $1500. Remember: whenever > you > sell a motorcycle, all you get is money. You spend the money, and then > you > have nothing. Keep the bike, and you always have a motorcycle. > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 7 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:34:53 -0000 > From: "Stu" > Subject: Re: Picked up bike, rode in the rain/cold NKLR > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Teel" wrote: >> Well folks, I made it. > SNIP >> >> Sam, >> safe and sound, back n the home of the blues, with a pretty blue > bike >> sitting at my door. Life is good. > > > Told ya. > > CA Stu A13 > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 8 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:36:23 -0500 > From: Devon > Subject: Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > > I run 36 psi front, and 40 psi rear, to keep the DOT knobbies from > disappearing on long highway trips. Then I usually run 8psi front > (Dunlop D606), 10 psi rear (Kenda K760) offroad with rimlocks. The 8psi > isn't as crazy as it sounds, the D606 has the stiffest carcass I've > ever > seen. > > Devon > > davidm.king@... wrote: > >> Wow why do you guys run such high pressures? The recommended >> pressure for the stock tires is 21psi front and 28psi rear. (It's >> stamped on the headstem and in the owner's manual.) Overinflation >> will cause even car tires to become squirrely and twitchy. >> >> David K. >> >> >> >> > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 9 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:42:11 -0000 > From: "Judson D. Jones" > Subject: Re: Front End Wobbles > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Barnaby Robson" > wrote: >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: ssjarz [mailto:stevenkaren@c...] >> >> I was running 36psi in the rear and 34psi in the front because >> I had a 22 mile ride on pavement >> >> >> >> I would say that those pressures are too high even >> for pavement ... you need some rubber on the road >> to get good traction for cornering and braking. >> >> I might be deluding myself but I like to run mid >> 20's on the street for safety. >> >> barnaby. > > Gotta disagree with this. Especially on the rear, 36 is not too much on > pavement: stabilizes the tire, and extends tire mileage by reducing > heat > buildup due to sidewall flex. 34 might be a little high on the front, > 30-32 is > more like it. Of course, YMMV, but I can't see any tire going over > 3500 mi. on > a KLR with pressures in the 20's. > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 10 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:48:07 -0000 > From: "Judson D. Jones" > Subject: Re: Front End Wobbles > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "dmatking" wrote: >> Wow why do you guys run such high pressures? The recommended >> pressure for the stock tires is 21psi front and 28psi rear. (It's >> stamped on the headstem and in the owner's manual.) Overinflation >> will cause even car tires to become squirrely and twitchy. > > > Au contraire. Running recommended pressures, my KLR was a bucking, > twitching handful at anything over 65. Airing up calmed it down. A > fork brace > helped even more. A K270 front will cup out in 3000 miles at 21psi. At > 31, it > will go 10k. > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 11 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:12:59 -0600 > From: ron criswell > Subject: Re: glad to be back, NKLR > > Do you have the street model KLX? I almost bought one of those because > it just seemed like a better dirt bike. But it weighs > about the same and has a small tank. I sure liked the KLX frame and > suspension however. > > Welcome back to the group. I rode my Concourse close to where you are > a couple of weeks ago near Nacadoches on the way to > Florida. I'll bet now is the time to be over there with the trees > beginning to change. > > Criswell > > klxrider95 wrote: > >> Finally got things settled down enough to get back to the group, >> really missed this bunch, glad to see the group is growing and doing >> well. Still have the KLX, a little over 22k on the clock now, wish I >> had more time to ride. >> >> Marshall >> "Blackhorse" (in honor of those who served) >> 95 KLX650C >> Henderson, TX >> >> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ >> courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >> Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >> DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . >> >> >> >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 12 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:46:05 -0600 > From: "Allan Patton" > Subject: Center stand wear > > I was watching the oil drain with the bike on the side stand this > evening. For some reason, don't know why, I pushed down on the center > stand and was surprised how loose the hinge is. Never noticed this > before but the center stand works up and down with the suspension. The > rubber bumper on the center stand slides on the lower suspension link. > > Even after I greased the swingarm, it still had a little squeak > somewhere, now I know. Sprayed a little Armor All on the rubber > bumper and the squeak is now gone. > > So I'm thinkin', maybe I should be spraying some WD40 or something on > the center stand hinge occasionally. > > The Dual Star center stand has been on the bike about 60,000 miles. > > Allan A14 > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 13 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:51:38 -0600 > From: "MMMasters28@..." > Subject: Re: opinions on Duro & Kendas > > I am running the Duros front and rear and am pretty happy thus far. > They are definitely not a dirt bike tire, but I couldn't complain with > the little dirt I have ridden so far on them. I mainly ride gravel > and two track road with a good bit a pavement in between and they suit > my riding style just fine, especially when I remember to air down for > the dirt. I also have a lot of faith in them on the road, you can > really lean this tire over. I have heard a complaint from a Dakar > rider who said he had a Duro that started chucking knobs! > > Mick > A10 > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.537 / Virus Database: 332 - Release Date: 11/6/2003 > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 14 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:59:13 -0500 > From: Chris > Subject: Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 10:42:11PM -0000, Judson D. Jones wrote: >>> -----Original Message----- >>> From: ssjarz [mailto:stevenkaren@c...] >>> >>> I was running 36psi in the rear and 34psi in the front because >>> I had a 22 mile ride on pavement >>> >>> I would say that those pressures are too high even >>> for pavement ... you need some rubber on the road >>> to get good traction for cornering and braking. >>> >>> I might be deluding myself but I like to run mid >>> 20's on the street for safety. >>> >>> barnaby. >> >> Gotta disagree with this. Especially on the rear, 36 is not too much >> on >> pavement: stabilizes the tire, and extends tire mileage by reducing >> heat >> buildup due to sidewall flex. 34 might be a little high on the front, >> 30-32 is >> more like it. Of course, YMMV, but I can't see any tire going over >> 3500 mi. on >> a KLR with pressures in the 20's. > > My stock tires only begin to feel stable on the road at 30R 28F and > even at that they feel soft and tend to be affected by pavement > grooves and metal bridge grates a lot more than if a few pounds > harder. > > Rider weight I'm sure affects this, at 270 my tires are flexing quite > a bit. > > -- > ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ > / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ > / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ > /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) > 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ > http://www.panix.com/~cesser/mybike/ > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 15 > Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:41:58 -0000 > From: "desert_denizen" > Subject: KLR 650 lighting problem > > I got a 90' KLR 650. I have had a recurrent problem with front/tail > lights blowing fuses. I usually have problem after I use high beam > for extended time. Usually, a fresh 10a fuse brings it back to life. > However, this time I have replaced the fuse and no lighting...does > anyone have schematics for lighting wiring?/ Anybody had similar > problem...I have taken off tank and checked wired near headlight but > did not see any burnt wires. Before I start ripping electrical tape > off all wires...does anyone out there have suggestion to what problem > may be?? > > > > > Brian > > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 16 > Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:15:14 -0000 > From: "thad_carey" > Subject: Re: oil pressure indicator? > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Judson D. Jones" > wrote: >> Since the KLR is a roller bearing motor, oil pressure is not as > useful an >> indicator of engine condition as in a plain bearing design. >> >> >> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "chiodinc" wrote: >>> Fellow listers: >>> I have it stuck in my craw that my KLR needs some type of > oil >>> pressure indicator either gauge or idiot light. There is even an >>> unused "square" for an idiot light to the right side of the > others on >>> the dash. Did an archive search and couldn't find any mention of >>> this. Looks like all I would have to do is braze a fitting on the > oil >>> pipe to the head, install a Kawasaki (or whatever) oil pressure >>> switch and wire a light to the unused indicator window...at least >>> that's my basic idea right now. What say the wisdom of the list. >>> Anybody done something like this? Any other ideas? >>> Wwe have a tach, a water temp gauge but the main indicator > for >>> impending major engine damage, oil pressure, was left out. I > don't >>> care about the oil temp or the actual pressure per say but > something >>> that tells me there is a problem would be handy. >>> >>> Ride like your life depends on it! >>> Chuck Chiodini > > The oil pressure on roller bearing cranks is definitely low, but > I wonder if the switch, wiring, and indicator light from the Kawi Z1, > 900 and 1000 series would be a direct fit? These motors also had the > roller crank. I agree about the position of the sending unit not > being optimum. > > Thad Carey > A15 (at Barbie's house) > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 17 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:12:01 -0500 > From: Chris > Subject: Re: KLR 650 lighting problem > > Put a 15A fuse in the headlight circuit. It's in the FAQ, it's an > issue particularly with highbeams and hotter bulbs. > > Check it out http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 01:41:58AM -0000, desert_denizen wrote: >> I got a 90' KLR 650. I have had a recurrent problem with front/tail >> lights blowing fuses. I usually have problem after I use high beam >> for extended time. Usually, a fresh 10a fuse brings it back to life. >> However, this time I have replaced the fuse and no lighting...does >> anyone have schematics for lighting wiring?/ Anybody had similar >> problem...I have taken off tank and checked wired near headlight but >> did not see any burnt wires. Before I start ripping electrical tape >> off all wires...does anyone out there have suggestion to what problem >> may be?? >> >> >> >> >> Brian >> >> >> >> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ >> courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >> Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >> DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . >> >> >> >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >> > > -- > ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ > / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ > / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ > /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) > 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ > http://www.panix.com/~cesser/mybike/ > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 18 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:39:10 -0500 (EST) > From: rm@... > Subject: Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > > > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, dmatking wrote: > >> Wow why do you guys run such high pressures? The recommended pressure >> for the stock tires is 21psi front and 28psi rear. (It's stamped on >> the >> headstem and in the owner's manual.) Overinflation will cause even >> car >> tires to become squirrely and twitchy. > > The stock pressures make the bike handle like a wet loaf of bread. > > RM > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 19 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:40:40 -0700 > From: Jeff Saline > Subject: Re: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator > > Allen, > > Thanks for the tip on checking oil flow using the starter and watching > the oil level sight glass. I'll have to try it just to get a reference > for what's normal. On the KLR I don't worry about oil flow. Now, on > my > airhead beemers it's a different story. I always check the oil light > operation after an oil filter change. There's this o-ring that if it > doesn't seal properly lets all the oil return to the case. It's called > the $2,000 oil ring. The KLR oil filter is much friendlier. > > Best, > > Jeff Saline > Airhead # 4412 South Dakota Airmarshal > Airheads Beemer Club www.airheads.org > The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota > '75 R90/6, '03 KLR650, '79 R100RT, '00 H-D MT-500 > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 20 > Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 02:50:26 -0000 > From: "thad_carey" > Subject: Re: Front End Wobbles > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Barnaby Robson" > wrote: >> >> -----Original Message----- >> From: ssjarz [mailto:stevenkaren@c...] >> >> I was running 36psi in the rear and 34psi in the front because >> I had a 22 mile ride on pavement >> >> >> >> I would say that those pressures are too high even >> for pavement ... you need some rubber on the road >> to get good traction for cornering and braking. >> >> I might be deluding myself but I like to run mid >> 20's on the street for safety. >> >> barnaby. > > Of course this thread started on tire issues on dirt, or sand in > particular. I'm curious if any of you guys air up or down on a days > ride that takes you on both pavement and dirt. I've done tons of > miles on my previous KLR all over the western U.S., but I never > changed tire pressure from the recommended psi with stock tires or > knobbies. I experimented with different pressures, but the higher > pressures really stunk off road. I didn't get any unusual behavior > on pavement from any of the tires I used with the stock psi on > pavement, but my bike wasn't heavily loaded either. Even now with > the stock tires and recommended psi, when I get the bike to 100 mph, > it seems rock solid. I notice many of the folks on this site use > their KLRs as their road bike to get to their destination, and then > ride it off road. It seems that perhaps they are used to > traditionally running higher air pressures. Not slamming anyone's > preference or habit, but I thought I'd just mention it since I'm sure > we all don't run the same setups or have exactly the same > environment. I always haul my KLR to the area I'm going to ride--as > much about having more quantity/comfortable camping gear and keeping > the bike as light as possible for the off road portions. It's > interesting to see the different perspectives about personal usage of > KLRs and as a result, how they're outfitted. All that being said, > how about that "airing up" or "airing down" issue while you're on the > day's ride? If you alter pressure, what devices or methods do you > use? > > Thad Carey > A15 (look'in like Barbie) > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 21 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:52:36 EST > From: kdxkawboy@... > Subject: Re: Trade 2003 klx400sr dual sport for 2001/2004 klr650 > > In a message dated 2003-11-11 1:37:39 AM Pacific Standard Time, > jamboa2003@... writes: > >> >> I am 53 and finally broke a bone. I was making wheelies on my klx >> 400sr and looped it. I freaked and held on till the full weight of >> the bike came crashing down on my right humerous. That was 6 weeks ago >> and I still have a long way to go. I was thinking of trading for a klr >> 650. Maybe I will act more my age on the big klr (maybe)? I am in >> Houma, Louisiana. I can e-mail pictures. >> jamboa2003@... >> >> > > All depends whatcha call acting your age. Looking at turning 50 next > year, my > right ankle was rebuilt in '77, the left in '79, right knee in '89, > left > shoulder in '99, the right knee for a second time in '99 (*&%$#!*&^ > cager) ad next > year I hope to get back into dirt bike racing next summer. My last > race was > two days before being hit in '99 and I'm missing it. > > BTW, I've got a DRZ400 and KLR. > > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 22 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:18:05 EST > From: kdxkawboy@... > Subject: Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > > In a message dated 2003-11-11 6:56:14 PM Pacific Standard Time, > ttcarey1@... writes: > >> >> Of course this thread started on tire issues on dirt, or sand in >> particular. I'm curious if any of you guys air up or down on a days >> ride that takes you on both pavement and dirt. I've done tons of >> miles on my previous KLR all over the western U.S., but I never >> changed tire pressure from the recommended psi with stock tires or >> knobbies. I experimented with different pressures, but the higher >> pressures really stunk off road. I didn't get any unusual behavior >> on pavement from any of the tires I used with the stock psi on >> pavement, but my bike wasn't heavily loaded either. Even now with >> the stock tires and recommended psi, when I get the bike to 100 mph, >> it seems rock solid. I notice many of the folks on this site use >> their KLRs as their road bike to get to their destination, and then >> ride it off road. It seems that perhaps they are used to >> traditionally running higher air pressures. Not slamming anyone's >> preference or habit, but I thought I'd just mention it since I'm sure >> we all don't run the same setups or have exactly the same >> environment. I always haul my KLR to the area I'm going to ride--as >> much about having more quantity/comfortable camping gear and keeping >> the bike as light as possible for the off road portions. It's >> interesting to see the different perspectives about personal usage of >> KLRs and as a result, how they're outfitted. All that being said, >> how about that "airing up" or "airing down" issue while you're on the >> day's ride? If you alter pressure, what devices or methods do you >> use? >> >> Thad Carey >> A15 (look'in like Barbie) >> >> > > Thad, > > I've always run 21 psi on the front and for one up riding something > around 24 > psi on the rear. > > I don't know that there is any one 'perfect' pressure to run. With tire > differences, suspension setup differences and rider differences pretty > much most > every one will have their own idea as to what is right. As long as > folks > understand what the different pressure settings are doing then I'm all > for > experimenting to find what you like. To much pressure causes the > center of the tire to > wear quickly, but can offer an improved feel in the corners. In the > dirt > dropping the pressure improves traction but can increase the risk of > pinched tubes > and might feel mushy once back on pavement. Most tire manufactures > recommend > the right pressure produces even wear across the middle third to > middle half of > the tread, on the front or rear. > > On most bikes, once I have the tire pressures set to my preference I > can tell > if the front has changed by a half pound and can feel a change of a > pound's > worth of pressure in the rear. > > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 23 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:34:22 EST > From: kdxkawboy@... > Subject: Re: I did it > > In a message dated 2003-11-11 7:52:00 AM Pacific Standard Time, > dial912@... writes: > >> >> Well, I finally made it. As she sits in the garage today, there are >> 10012.7 miles on the A17. Other than the whole Turkey incident, they >> have all been trouble free miles. I have to say that I can't imagine >> life without the KLR. I was stuck in the 9000's for quite a while >> since I have been doing a lot of construction work lately requiring >> me to drive the truck, but I finally went on a 150 mile romp around >> the area just for relaxation. Even though it is raining today, I >> think I'll do another ride around, I forgot how much I love just >> tooling around on the green meanie. >> >> Fireman Ed > A17 >> >> > > Tell me Ed, was it as good as s-e-x? > > Sorry Ed, you kinda walked into that one and I couldn't resist. You can > always tell a true KLRista by their reaction to getting back on the > beast after a > hiatus. > > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 24 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:36:54 -0600 > From: "Bill Holton" > Subject: Re: KLR 650 lighting problem > > I had a similar problem with my 89. I disagree with putting the bigger > fuse > in, but it might be OK for yours. My problem was a bad Molex style > connection close to the fuse holder. It had been overheated and was > partially burned. The KLR wiring is not rated to carry much higher had > the > standard fuse rating. Check the small connectors close to the fuse > holder. > These are the weak links in the current carrying capability. I ended up > chopping off my burnt connectors and replaced them with a higher rated > pin > and socket combination from an electronics store. No problems since. > a copy of the electrical schematic can be downloaded at > http://www.dragan-milinkovic.com/klr650 ... iring.html > > Bill Holton > Pearland, TX > A3 KLR > > > >> I got a 90' KLR 650. I have had a recurrent problem with front/tail >> lights blowing fuses. I usually have problem after I use high beam >> for extended time. Usually, a fresh 10a fuse brings it back to life. >> However, this time I have replaced the fuse and no lighting...does >> anyone have schematics for lighting wiring?/ Anybody had similar >> problem...I have taken off tank and checked wired near headlight but >> did not see any burnt wires. Before I start ripping electrical tape >> off all wires...does anyone out there have suggestion to what problem >> may be?? >> >> >> >> >> Brian >> >> > > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > Message: 25 > Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:59:51 -0500 > From: bigfatgreenbike > Subject: Re: Re: Front End Wobbles > > > ttcarey1@... wrote: > >> Of course this thread started on tire issues on dirt, or sand in >> particular. I'm curious if any of you guys air up or down on a days >> ride that takes you on both pavement and dirt. >> > It depends on how much the mileage and terrain vary. A lot of the > sanctioned NJ dual-sport rides are 80-90mi, and there are occasional > connectors on pavement of a few miles. I leave the tires aired down, I > don't have any stability problems up to 80mph with the low pressures > (8psi front 10psi rear). > > A usual (non-organized) Sunday ride is about 75-100mi of highway out to > the trails, then 20-30mi of just offroad, then home on the highway. I > air WAY up for the highway, air down for the trails, then back up for > the highway home. I always carry a hand pump, but I also sometimes > carry > the guts of a 12v tire inflator. If I don't have that I usually find a > gas station and splurge $.50 for air. > > The low pressure makes a huge difference on sand, specially if it gives > you enough stability to feel safe going fast- then riding deep sand > gets > a lot easier. > >> ....I used with the stock psi on >> pavement, but my bike wasn't heavily loaded either. Even now with >> the stock tires and recommended psi, when I get the bike to 100 mph, >> it seems rock solid. >> > If you're talking about the stock speedo, I regret to inform you that > wasn't 100mph. More like 90, maybe 94-95. > >> I always haul my KLR to the area I'm going to ride--as >> much about having more quantity/comfortable camping gear and keeping >> the bike as light as possible for the off road portions. >> > You could always ride in, make camp and stash your gear, then go riding > after stripping down the bike. The most I usually do is pull any > luggage, the mirrors, and strap my tool pack onto the back rack. > > I don't like trailering- the KLR is very comfortable for long street > rides, as long as you aren't trying to go anywhere too fast. But it's > really nice to have one guy in the group with a trailer or truck in > case > I wrap my KLR around a tree and can't ride it home. > > -- > Devon > Brooklyn, NY > > A15-Z '01 KLR650 > '81 SR500 cafe racer > > "The truth's not too popular these days....." > > Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man > > > > > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > _______________________________________________________________________ > _ > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >
bill grishaw [;^| www.rainmakerstudios.com www.804music.com www.s-end.com m 804 502 5464 s 804 771 1300 please enter all 10 digits [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

philipnoyb

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by philipnoyb » Sat May 15, 2004 2:39 pm

Hey All, Although I love my KLR and have been an active member of this list, I have to sell my A-15 California model. The bike is mint, and the whole list of mods (suggested by this list of course!) can be seen on the web page I built for it. It has 9k miles with the 9k service mostly complete and with all the mods, I'm asking $3500 firm. I'm going to miss it. It's a great deal for someone looking for a KLR in awesome shape. Pics and more info http://www.winetablemedia.com/klr.html MODS DONE FROM ADVICE ON YAHOO KLR LIST : LR Progressive Front Springs Dual Star Low vibe mirrors and mount. Superbrace Forkbrace Moose Skid Plate Dished Corbin Seat Pro Gel Grips Bar snake - reduces handlebar vibes. Main fuel line with inline filter Visu-filter inline fuel filter FF701C K&N Airfilter Galfer SS brake lines front and rear. Galfer Black Rear Brake Pads @ 3k miles Galfer Green Front Brake Pads @ 3800k miles Rear brake pedal mount - DUAL STAR Rear brake guard - DUAL STAR IMS Shifter IMS SS Pegs Front / Rear Axle nuts replaced with self locking Dual Star nuts. Chain adjuster nuts replaced with Dual Star 13 mm nut. Security Oil cap from DUAL STAR Sub frame bolts upper / lower - Sagebrush Machine Jake parts Various screws replaced with Sagebrush Machine Jakes allen head bolts. Additional 16 t Counter sprocket / new SBM CS nut installed. Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards Happy trails rad / res guard Dual Star low profile Magnetic drain plug Doohickey installed / balancer chain timed 03.05.04 Electric: Philips head lamp 55/60 H4 12342 VP. Twice as bright as stock LED Tail Lamp 15 amp blade type headlight fuse (up from 10) 20 amp blade type main fuse 15 amp blade type fan fuse Spare stock head and tail lamps. Tires: Tire size are 130x80x17 and 90x90x21 Michelian sirac DONE @ 3800 miles, plenty of miles left on both. HD Tubes Spare Stock Front Tube Spare stock front tire MISC.: Factory manuals, spare parts, factory tools complete, spare new clutch cable, stock springs, 2 liters of Motul 10-50 semi synthetic, 2 liters of Rotella ELC. EMAIL ME OFF LIST FOR MORE INFO OR VISIT MY WEBPAGE. http://www.winetablemedia.com/klr.html

Andre Fiedler

2001 klr650 for sale

Post by Andre Fiedler » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:52 pm

FYI: I am selling my 2001 KLR 650. It is in great condition and has less than 2000 miles on it. It also has over $ 1300 in aftermarket items on it, some of which I would consider selling off separately. The bike is located in Colorado Springs. If interested, email me directly or call me for more details. Andre Fiedler afiedler@... 719-660-1777 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Pat

what's the best battery to buy for a klr 650 and where can i ge

Post by Pat » Tue May 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Another vote here for the Odyssey! 3+ years now and never let me down, summer or winter. My mission-challenged Battery Tender only needed for my little Honda single-track bikes. You won't need the steel military case either - go for the $65 plastic ones on the i-net. Pat M A14
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, David Farrell wrote: > > Get the Odyssey battery. It is what the military > uses. Expected life is like 8 years and is suppose to > be able to sit for up to 2 years and still start your > machine. Dual-Star use to sell these for around $130. > I researched and got mine for $65 delivered to my > door for $65 about 2 years ago from electrobattery.com > You will not be disappointed.