digest number 6810

DSN_KLR650
Louis De Jager

digest number 6810

Post by Louis De Jager » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 am

My owners manual states at the back KL650-A19. Maybe the manual is an 05 and newer than the motorcycle! Sorry. Regards Louis - South Africa -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] Sent: 05 November 2005 03:01 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Digest Number 6810 There are 25 messages in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1. Re: Valves, tensioner? From: "Rodney Copeland" 2. KLR650 vs. XR650L From: "squatpuke" 3. Re: doo_hickey help! From: "Jud Jones" 4. Re: KLR650 vs. XR650L From: Ron Criswell 5. Re: KLR650 vs. XR650L From: "J T" 6. Re: Valves, tensioner? From: "John Mellquist" 7. Re: doo_hickey help! From: "Jim" 8. Re: Centerstands From: "Andrus Chesley" 9. Dangerous Windsheilds From: "klr650guy" 10. Re: Valves, tensioner? From: "a2revolu" 11. KLR Motor From: "rr2933" 12. Re: Dangerous Windsheilds From: "Lesley" 13. Re: KLR Motor From: "Gabe" 14. dash replacment From: "liquidstickman" 15. Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? From: Jim Link 16. Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? From: Mike Frey 17. Re: Rear Tires? From: Jim Link 18. Mefo MFE99 Sport Explorer Tires? From: "rrrocketron64" 19. Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? From: sylvain gilbert 20. Re: Rear Tires? From: Rick McCauley 21. Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? From: "W.V. Doran" 22. Re: NKLR - AeroStich Kanetsu Electric Vest From: "W.V. Doran" 23. Where to buy IMS gas tank with shrouds From: pdstreeter@... 24. Re: Re: kn air filter From: Analog Aardvark 25. RE: Re: kn air filter From: "Michael Silverstein" ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 1 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:35:57 -0000 From: "Rodney Copeland" Subject: Re: Valves, tensioner? Most everything you want to know about the KLR is here: http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Many dealers are a bit misleading about what services they perform and the crap about the balancer shaft comin into play sounds like nonsense. Maybe your idler lever has crashed already. Doesn't seem likely at those few miles. I'm thinkin it may be the auto compression release. Good luck, Rod
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" wrote: > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on the clock on Tuesday. > The previous owner never done the first service, so I had it done on > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when revving up from idle, > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it is ballancer shaft > coming into play? Is that right? > Valves and tensioner. > On how much km's much I do first valve check, and then also tensioner > when? > > regards > > Louis - South Africa > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 2 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:19:47 -0000 From: "squatpuke" Subject: KLR650 vs. XR650L . . I bet this forum NEVER sees these types of questions... : ) Anyway, I'm looking to get into the DS scene and will either buy a new KLR650 or XR650L...I guess I'm just looking for opinions between the KLR650 and the XR650L as far as 'out of the box' riding...primarily I will use the bike for communting but will take it off road frequently as well. I live at 7000' and it gets cold and snowy here as well. I'm 6'2" and 270lbs and I've heard the Kawa will bottom out with even medium sized dudes. How does the Kawa work right off the floor...do most people rejet and swap out mufflers? The Kawa is also 5 benjamins cheaper than the honda. Why? What kind of gas-milage can I expect? and how many miles longevity on the engine. There seems to be TONS of support for both bikes on the internet. Please help me decide. Thanks. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 3 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:11:25 -0000 From: "Jud Jones" Subject: Re: doo_hickey help! --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "klr4me2" wrote: > > I need to replace the doohickey on my A18. After studying several > web "walk thru's" and considering my limited mechanical skills, I > believe I could do more harm than good by tackling this job on my own. > I don't trust my dealer (and prob couldn't afford him!). Is there > anyone with experience (and tools) that I could pay to assist / > supervise? > > I'd love to gain the experience of working on the internals, but can't > afford to screw this job up! I'm in the North Atlanta area. Thank > you. Wait for a tech day in your area; you will be able to get hands-on assistance from lots of able practitioners. I believe there will be a large gathering not too far from you (NC or E. TN) next summer. Check out KLR650.net and search for "Ducktown". ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 4 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:55:25 -0800 From: Ron Criswell Subject: Re: KLR650 vs. XR650L Either bike will do similar things. The Kawa is best for long, long HWY jaunts to get to the fire roads. The Honda is better in the dirt. The Kawa is water cooled and they run for a long time 60,000, 70,000, 80,000 miles on quite a few bikes. The Honda is aircooled so might not be the greatest for hot, slow rides. I have added progressive springs to the forks of my KLR and would like at least to replace the rear spring as it does bottom in hard, rough riding. I have heard fork emulators are good also. The Honda doesn't have the infamous muffler tweet which is really unique. You can hear one and know what it is even before you see the bike. Harley guys can only dream of such a unique sound. Think 1964 VW with a blown headgasket. Another good choice is the Suzuki DR 650 which I think from what I've heard would take it over the Honda. Am I right Zac? Criswell On Friday, November 4, 2005, at 03:19 AM, squatpuke wrote: > . > . > I bet this forum NEVER sees these types of questions... : ) > > Anyway, I'm looking to get into the DS scene and will either buy a new > KLR650 or XR650L...I guess I'm just looking for opinions between the > KLR650 and the XR650L as far as 'out of the box' riding...primarily I > will use the bike for communting but will take it off road frequently > as well. I live at 7000' and it gets cold and snowy here as well. > > I'm 6'2" and 270lbs and I've heard the Kawa will bottom out with even > medium sized dudes. > > How does the Kawa work right off the floor...do most people rejet and > swap out mufflers? > > The Kawa is also 5 benjamins cheaper than the honda. Why? > > What kind of gas-milage can I expect? and how many miles longevity on > the engine. > > There seems to be TONS of support for both bikes on the internet. > > Please help me decide. > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 5 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:37:24 -0500 From: "J T" Subject: Re: KLR650 vs. XR650L I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs., and have ridden all three bikes on extended trips, including the DR650. The KLR is the best "fit," by far. But the other two bikes are considerably better in the dirt, in my opinion, with the (slight) edge probably going to the Suzuki. Bear in mind: the stock gas tanks are much smaller on the Honda and Suzuki--I think about 2.8 gallons plus a half gallon or so of reserve. But larger aftermarket tanks are available for both... >From: Ron Criswell >To: "squatpuke" >CC: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] KLR650 vs. XR650L >Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:55:25 -0800 > >Either bike will do similar things. The Kawa is best for long, long HWY >jaunts to get to the fire roads. The Honda is better in the dirt. The >Kawa is water cooled and they run for a long time 60,000, 70,000, >80,000 miles on quite a few bikes. The Honda is aircooled so might not >be the greatest for hot, slow rides. I have added progressive springs >to the forks of my KLR and would like at least to replace the rear >spring as it does bottom in hard, rough riding. I have heard fork >emulators are good also. The Honda doesn't have the infamous muffler >tweet which is really unique. You can hear one and know what it is even >before you see the bike. Harley guys can only dream of such a unique >sound. Think 1964 VW with a blown headgasket. > >Another good choice is the Suzuki DR 650 which I think from what I've >heard would take it over the Honda. Am I right Zac? > >Criswell >On Friday, November 4, 2005, at 03:19 AM, squatpuke wrote: > > > . > > . > > I bet this forum NEVER sees these types of questions... : ) > > > > Anyway, I'm looking to get into the DS scene and will either buy a new > > KLR650 or XR650L...I guess I'm just looking for opinions between the > > KLR650 and the XR650L as far as 'out of the box' riding...primarily I > > will use the bike for communting but will take it off road frequently > > as well. I live at 7000' and it gets cold and snowy here as well. > > > > I'm 6'2" and 270lbs and I've heard the Kawa will bottom out with even > > medium sized dudes. > > > > How does the Kawa work right off the floor...do most people rejet and > > swap out mufflers? > > > > The Kawa is also 5 benjamins cheaper than the honda. Why? > > > > What kind of gas-milage can I expect? and how many miles longevity on > > the engine. > > > > There seems to be TONS of support for both bikes on the internet. > > > > Please help me decide. > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 6 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:56:25 -0000 From: "John Mellquist" Subject: Re: Valves, tensioner? I had similar symptoms with my A19. Fortunately, it turned out to be nothing more than loose bolts on the skid plate! John Napa, CA --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" wrote: > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on the clock on Tuesday. > The previous owner never done the first service, so I had it done on > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when revving up from idle, > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it is ballancer shaft > coming into play? Is that right? > Valves and tensioner. > On how much km's much I do first valve check, and then also tensioner > when? > > regards > > Louis - South Africa > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:31:30 -0000 From: "Jim" Subject: Re: doo_hickey help! Everyday is Tech-Day with the help of the various KLR sites, a manual(s), preparation (study task before starting and be aware of potential pitfalls; parts, tools, consumables, etc.), good work area, ample time, and *patience*. The job is done when you're done. You can do it. The more you do the more confidence you'll have and the better you'll get. Happy wrenching. [If only we all had a dedicated workshop with all the amenities.] Jim A17 --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jud Jones" wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "klr4me2" wrote: > > > > I need to replace the doohickey on my A18. After studying several > > web "walk thru's" and considering my limited mechanical skills, I > > believe I could do more harm than good by tackling this job on my own. > > I don't trust my dealer (and prob couldn't afford him!). Is there > > anyone with experience (and tools) that I could pay to assist / > > supervise? > > > > I'd love to gain the experience of working on the internals, but can't > > afford to screw this job up! I'm in the North Atlanta area. Thank > > you. > > Wait for a tech day in your area; you will be able to get hands-on assistance from lots of > able practitioners. I believe there will be a large gathering not too far from you (NC or E. > TN) next summer. Check out KLR650.net and search for "Ducktown". > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:32:44 -0000 From: "Andrus Chesley" Subject: Re: Centerstands Mine comes from Fred, which ever one he was selling when I wanted one a year or so back. Africa I think or something like that. Have never had a problem with it, have Grade 8 bolts in it. But have not hit anything at speed with it but have slid over logs and such with no problems. I guess if I did have a problem I'd weld the centerstand brackets to the bike and then the footpeg brackets ot the centerstand. As for getting the bike on the center stand, most times I just lean my bike way over on the side stand and put the centerstand down and just rock the bike on the stand from the side. Much easier than pulling the bike on the stand. I do 99% of my riding alone and when roaming south louisiana marshlands many times your not gonna find anything with in walking distance to prop your bike up on to change out a front flat or rear flat. you just have to lay it down on the ground and go to work in it. But lucky me as I've been able to fix my last two flats without removing the wheel from the bike. '43 Andy in Louisiana '00 KLR650 '02 R1150GSA ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:54:10 -0000 From: "klr650guy" Subject: Dangerous Windsheilds Good Day All Some FYI information here. In my younger day I had a Honda CL 350 twin. Rode if for a couple of years, then some one showed what you can do in the dirt on a motorcycle. So I played around some in the dirt, but nothing serious on that bike. Took a trip accross the states, equiped with saddle bags and a bar mounted windsheild. When I got home took the bike out into the dirt some. While climbing a hill, I stood up on the pegs and as the bike rotated upward that windsheild came up and touched me on the neck. Had I been going just a little faster, or had that hill been a little steeper . . . So, for you that want to put a taller windsheild on this dirt worthy motorcycle, consider your riding sytle. And be aware that something like this can happen. As for me, and the way I ride, stock is fine. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 10 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:53:04 -0000 From: "a2revolu" Subject: Re: Valves, tensioner? --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" wrote: > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on the clock on Tuesday. > The previous owner never done the first service, so I had it done on > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when revving up from idle, > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it is ballancer shaft > coming into play? Is that right? > Valves and tensioner. > On how much km's much I do first valve check, and then also tensioner > when? > > regards > > Louis - South Africa > I think it 800km's for first valve check which is included in the first service where I live. The first service locally runs between 195 and 240 dollars, which is way way way too much (especially considering that what they say they check and adjust may never be done. PS I think the 2005 is the A19. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 11 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:34:04 -0000 From: "rr2933" Subject: KLR Motor My 01 klr threw a balancer chain and chewed up some of the drive teeth on the crank.Yes,the doo-hicky was replaced so the chain must have broke. Anyone have any bottom end parts or even a complete engine for sale? Ron.Omaha. 402-397-3371,rrosberg@... for any help. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 12 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:50:44 -0500 From: "Lesley" Subject: Re: Dangerous Windsheilds That is a good point. I have the taller Kawi windshield and I like it. However, for off-road I take the windshield off (only takes screwdriver and a couple of minutes). The last time I went out to the Ganaraska Forest I'm very glad I took the windshield off, it would definitely have been in the way. My .02 worth Lesley 2005 KLR 650 ----- Original Message ----- From: "klr650guy" <> While climbing a hill, I stood up on the pegs and as the bike rotated > upward that windsheild came up and touched me on the neck. > Had I been going just a little faster, or had that hill been a little > steeper . . . > So, for you that want to put a taller windsheild on this dirt worthy > motorcycle, consider your riding sytle. And be aware that something > like this can happen. > As for me, and the way I ride, stock is fine. > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 13 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:00:40 -0000 From: "Gabe" Subject: Re: KLR Motor Saw this one on ebay. Some folks seem to be skeptical as to whethter or not this seller is hawking parts from stolen bikes, but I see no reason to beleive that. He has a picture of the VIN (though not quite legible) on the listing. I can offer no info on the condition of motor or the reputability of the seller. That being said, it might be what you are looking for. As always, YMMV. Gabe A19 --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "rr2933" wrote: > > My 01 klr threw a balancer chain and chewed up some of the drive teeth > on the crank.Yes,the doo-hicky was replaced so the chain must have > broke. Anyone have any bottom end parts or even a complete engine for > sale? Ron.Omaha. 402-397-3371,rrosberg@a... for any help. > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 14 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:07:09 -0000 From: "liquidstickman" Subject: dash replacment Hey everybody, Does enybody know if the digital dash from a suzki "dr" can be transplanted to a klr? I'm looking for a good digital replacment for the stock unit on my ancient 87. If anybody has any other ideas or suggestions i would like to hear from you. Thanks ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 15 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:22:14 -0800 (PST) From: Jim Link Subject: Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? I have an 05 and my book says A19? is the 04 A19 or the 05? --- a2revolu wrote: > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" > wrote: > > > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on the > clock on Tuesday. > > The previous owner never done the first service, > so I had it done on > > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when > revving up from idle, > > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it is > ballancer shaft > > coming into play? Is that right? > > Valves and tensioner. > > On how much km's much I do first valve check, and > then also tensioner > > when? > > > > regards > > > > Louis - South Africa > > > I think it 800km's for first valve check which is > included in the > first service where I live. The first service > locally runs between 195 > and 240 dollars, which is way way way too much > (especially considering > that what they say they check and adjust may never > be done. PS I think > the 2005 is the A19. > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > __________________________________ Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 16 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:33:14 -0500 From: Mike Frey Subject: Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? A18 - 2004 A19 - 2005 A20 - 2006 And, at the rate we're going..... A29 - 2015 Mike A18 Jim Link wrote: >I have an 05 and my book says A19? is the 04 A19 or >the 05? > >--- a2revolu wrote: > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 17 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:38:59 -0800 (PST) From: Jim Link Subject: Re: Rear Tires? A couple of Guys and myself are running Duro's.. we like em' --- Rick McCauley wrote: > I just buy the Dunlop K750 OEM tire. $53 bucks at > the local dealer. > Good for a year and that's fine with me. > > Next opinion ! :-) > > Rick A17 > > "Guy B. Young II" wrote: > When it comes to oil, politics, religion, AND tires, > there is never a clear winner or one that can be > considered the "best." I can, however, make a > recommendation from my own experience, but whether > they are the "best choice" for you is something that > you will have to (eventually) decide on your own. > > Personally, for my type of riding in this neck of > the, uh - woods, I prefer the Continental TKC80. > It's a 50/50 tire that really works well on the > street, and pretty decent in the rough stuff. My > previous one lasted approx. 8000 miles, 90% of which > was street riding. > > Of course, if you ask another owner you will get an > entirely different opinion. :-) > > Hope this helps. > > Guy > A16 > Richmond, VA > > > > --------------------------------- > Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in > one click. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > > __________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page! http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 18 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:54:26 -0000 From: "rrrocketron64" Subject: Mefo MFE99 Sport Explorer Tires? Has anyone tried these tires?I am looking for a durable tire to use mostly on the highway. It looks like a toss up between the Mefo's and the TKC80 Continental. Any suggestions? Thank's for all your comments they are much appreciated. Rocket Ron. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 19 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:00:31 -0800 (PST) From: sylvain gilbert Subject: Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? A19 is a 2005 --- Jim Link wrote: > I have an 05 and my book says A19? is the 04 A19 > or > the 05? > > --- a2revolu wrote: > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" > > wrote: > > > > > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on > the > > clock on Tuesday. > > > The previous owner never done the first service, > > so I had it done on > > > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when > > revving up from idle, > > > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it > is > > ballancer shaft > > > coming into play? Is that right? > > > Valves and tensioner. > > > On how much km's much I do first valve check, > and > > then also tensioner > > > when? > > > > > > regards > > > > > > Louis - South Africa > > > > > I think it 800km's for first valve check which is > > included in the > > first service where I live. The first service > > locally runs between 195 > > and 240 dollars, which is way way way too much > > (especially considering > > that what they say they check and adjust may never > > be done. PS I think > > the 2005 is the A19. > > > > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > > > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > > www.dualsportnews.com > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________ > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 > http://mail.yahoo.com > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > __________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:00:47 -0800 (PST) From: Rick McCauley Subject: Re: Rear Tires? Scott, I called the dealer here and got the Kawasaki part # 41009-0002 Rick A17 scott quillen wrote: Wow! I tried to buy the OEM Dunlops at my local Kawi dealer...they said they couldn't get them...bummer! Scott Rick McCauley wrote: I just buy the Dunlop K750 OEM tire. $53 bucks at the local dealer. Good for a year and that's fine with me. Next opinion ! :-) Rick A17 "Guy B. Young II" wrote: When it comes to oil, politics, religion, AND tires, there is never a clear winner or one that can be considered the "best." I can, however, make a recommendation from my own experience, but whether they are the "best choice" for you is something that you will have to (eventually) decide on your own. Personally, for my type of riding in this neck of the, uh - woods, I prefer the Continental TKC80. It's a 50/50 tire that really works well on the street, and pretty decent in the rough stuff. My previous one lasted approx. 8000 miles, 90% of which was street riding. Of course, if you ask another owner you will get an entirely different opinion. :-) Hope this helps. Guy A16 Richmond, VA --------------------------------- Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. --------------------------------- Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 21 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:17:28 -0800 (PST) From: "W.V. Doran" Subject: Re: Re: Valves, tensioner? I agree with Rodney...Set your idle speed at about 1200/1300 rpm and see if that helps. --- Rodney Copeland wrote: > I'm thinkin it may be the auto compression release. > Good luck, > Rod > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "louisxander1" > wrote: > > > > Hi all, I've bought an 2004 A19 with 1600km on the > clock on Tuesday. > > The previous owner never done the first service, > so I had it done on > > Wednesday. There is a sound like a knock when > revving up from idle, > > and also when accelerating. Kawa dealer says it is > ballancer shaft > > coming into play? Is that right? > > Valves and tensioner. > > On how much km's much I do first valve check, and > then also tensioner > > when? > > > > regards > > > > Louis - South Africa > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > WVDoran Scottsdale, AZ __________________________________ Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.yahoo.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 22 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:28:54 -0800 (PST) From: "W.V. Doran" Subject: Re: NKLR - AeroStich Kanetsu Electric Vest You'll find your answer at the addy below. BMW people live in Aerostich gear. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmw-gs/ --- Darren Clark wrote: > I'm looking at buying an AeroStich Kanetsu Electric > Vest (#101 the green > one). Does anybody on the list have one, and what do > you think? Also > which connector did you get with it, and does it > come with the stuff to > connect it to the bikes battery? > > Thanks in advance, > > Darren Clark > > 2004 KLR 650 A-18 > It's November and was in the low 70's today in > Michigan! > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > > WVDoran Scottsdale, AZ __________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 23 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:47:35 -0600 From: pdstreeter@... Subject: Where to buy IMS gas tank with shrouds I'm interested in buying an IMS gas tank with the shrouds for my KLR 650. Where is the best place to buy one? Are they in stock? I'd heard recently that they were out of stock. Also, do I have to buy the gas cap separately? Paul Streeter Minnesota ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 24 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:16:52 -0800 (PST) From: Analog Aardvark Subject: Re: Re: kn air filter They flow well, but if you ride in really dusy conditions they can clog pretty bad. As in, so bad that the bike can't suck enough air to even run. Had this happen up on Lab, I was in the back (sucking the front rider's dust) running a stock foam filter with no problems. Front rider, running in clean air on a dusty dusty road, ended up stuck on the side of the road scraping the damn thing with a screwdriver (NOT reccomended, but it worked) to get enough air flow to continue. -Luke > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, kent nelson > wrote: > > > > kn air filter 40$ anyone know how good it works is > it papper or spong ? __________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 25 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:28:35 -0500 From: "Michael Silverstein" Subject: RE: Re: kn air filter There are two (or more) ways of interpreting that anecdote: 1) The stock air filter is letting dirt pass through that the K&N filter is catching and becoming clogged with 2) The stock filter has more surface area than the K&N filter so it is able to catch more dirt before becoming completely clogged I've never seen a K&N filter so I don't know which interpretation is more likely to be true, if any. > -----Original Message----- > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Analog Aardvark > Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 5:17 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: kn air filter > > > They flow well, but if you ride in really dusy > conditions they can clog pretty bad. As in, so bad > that the bike can't suck enough air to even run. Had > this happen up on Lab, I was in the back (sucking the > front rider's dust) running a stock foam filter with > no problems. Front rider, running in clean air on a > dusty dusty road, ended up stuck on the side of the > road scraping the damn thing with a screwdriver (NOT > reccomended, but it worked) to get enough air flow to continue. > > -Luke > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, kent nelson > > > wrote: > > > > > > kn air filter 40$ anyone know how good it works is > > it papper or spong ? > > > > __________________________________ > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click. http://farechase.yahoo.com Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 Yahoo! Groups Links -- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/146 - Release Date: 10/21/2005 -- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/146 - Release Date: 10/21/2005 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Member Map at: http://www.frappr.com/dsnklr650 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links ------------------------------------------------------------------------