trying to figure out a good price. (long post

DSN_KLR650
Dale

sticky shifting problem

Post by Dale » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:41 pm

My KLR has been shifting rougher of late and today I really noticed it as I had trouble finding neutral and downshifting produced quite a clunk and it took quite a bit of effort to get into first while stopped. It was bad enough that coming back from a ride to Point Reyes today, I ended up on the freeway instead of returning along Lake Berryessa and all those sweeping curves. I've recently switched to an IMS shifter to better fit with my IMS pegs. The shifter doesn't seem to tighten down all the way and moves a little in and out on the shaft. My clutch lever seemed to have a catch in it today also. I had to give it a little boost after many shifts. I checked and it wasn't hanging up on my brush guards. I changed oil/filter within the last 1000 miles and seem to have a full sight window for what that's worth. Any suggestions on what to check out first? Thanks, Dale A-15 Sacramento

Matt

sticky shifting problem

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:59 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Dale " wrote:
> My KLR has been shifting rougher of late and today I really noticed
it as I had trouble finding
> neutral and downshifting produced quite a clunk and it took quite a
bit of effort to get into
> first while stopped. It was bad enough that coming back from a ride
to Point Reyes today, I
> ended up on the freeway instead of returning along Lake Berryessa
and all those sweeping
> curves. > > I've recently switched to an IMS shifter to better fit with my IMS
pegs. Dale, check to make sure the shifter isn't contacting something as it goes through its motion. This is best accomplished with you off the bike, on your knees, using your hand to shift. If this doesn't show the problem look for scratches in the paint and/or shiny marks where the shifter could be rubbing. The IMS shifter is very flexible and will flex when shifting. You may want to bend it out a bit to get it away from any potential contact points.
>The shifter doesn't > seem to tighten down all the way and moves a little in and out on
the shaft. You might have to open the mouth of the shifter connection a bit by removing some of the metal where the two ends contact. Once the two ends contact each other you can't tighten it anymore. This is not good. You want a tight connection. This is probably your problem. If you let this go you will end up stripping the teeth and have a bigger problem on you hands.
>My clutch lever > seemed to have a catch in it today also. I had to give it a little >boost after many shifts. I > checked and it wasn't hanging up on my brush guards.
I'm not sure what you mean by a boost? But it may need a lube and an adjustment. If that doesn't correct it check to make sure your cable isn't frayed. Replace it if it is. Matt

Chris Norloff

sticky shifting problem

Post by Chris Norloff » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:35 pm

I'd check the clutch adjustment first. A clutch that isn't fully releasing - need to tighten the cable adjustment - has the symptoms you describe. Chris Norloff ---------- Original Message ---------------------------------- From: "Dale " Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:41:36 -0000
>My KLR has been shifting rougher of late and today I really noticed it as I had trouble finding >neutral and downshifting produced quite a clunk and it took quite a bit of effort to get into >first while stopped. It was bad enough that coming back from a ride to Point Reyes today, I >ended up on the freeway instead of returning along Lake Berryessa and all those sweeping >curves. > >I've recently switched to an IMS shifter to better fit with my IMS pegs. The shifter doesn't >seem to tighten down all the way and moves a little in and out on the shaft. My clutch lever >seemed to have a catch in it today also. I had to give it a little boost after many shifts. I >checked and it wasn't hanging up on my brush guards. I changed oil/filter within the last >1000 miles and seem to have a full sight window for what that's worth. > >Any suggestions on what to check out first? > >Thanks, Dale >A-15 Sacramento > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Paul Jordan

sticky shifting problem

Post by Paul Jordan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Same problem haven't done mine yet put here's my prep from a web search, 2^ pvc pipe cut lengthwise. 2 hose clamps comprises the seal driver tap in at 3 6 9 12 position. Put the tube vertically in a soft jawed vice and pull it straight up if shes sticky turn with a strap wrench it'll come apart hopefully. Thfere.s no rush unless its real bad just maintain equal levels is she starts feelin wonky. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Peter Meilstrup

sticky shifting problem

Post by Peter Meilstrup » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:00 pm

With the "catch" in the clutch travel it sounds like the clutch cable is about to go. If the clutch cable had suddenly lengthened due to snapping a strand it could produce the symptoms you describe. I'd replace the clutch cable, and fix the play on the shifter too (use a Dremel cut-off wheel to enlarge the gap where the shift lever clamps together)
On 7/16/05, Dale wrote: > My KLR has been shifting rougher of late and today I really noticed it as I had trouble finding > neutral and downshifting produced quite a clunk and it took quite a bit of effort to get into > first while stopped. It was bad enough that coming back from a ride to Point Reyes today, I > ended up on the freeway instead of returning along Lake Berryessa and all those sweeping > curves. > > I've recently switched to an IMS shifter to better fit with my IMS pegs. The shifter doesn't > seem to tighten down all the way and moves a little in and out on the shaft. My clutch lever > seemed to have a catch in it today also. I had to give it a little boost after many shifts. I > checked and it wasn't hanging up on my brush guards. I changed oil/filter within the last > 1000 miles and seem to have a full sight window for what that's worth. > > Any suggestions on what to check out first? > > Thanks, Dale > A-15 Sacramento > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Paul Jordan

sticky shifting problem

Post by Paul Jordan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:29 pm

The first thing I'd do is get a hold of Dremel tool and take a pinch off the IMS lever slot before you strip the splines on the shift engagement bolt and have to tear apart the engine Wal Mart sells Dremels House of Tools will sell you the grinding disc about a hundred bucks total but then you have the magic of Dremmel not sure about the spelling and I'm not running downstairs to check. --------------------------------- --------------------------------- Post your free ad now! Yahoo! Canada Personals [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Paul Jordan

trying to figure out a good price. (long post

Post by Paul Jordan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:48 pm

If you're situation permits sell em both car and bike and get the KLR __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]