mt plate photos

DSN_KLR650
Sonny Bulla

construction site riding

Post by Sonny Bulla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:09 am

Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? And,...what kind of penalty was incurred? There's a bunch of construction/road cutting going on around here and the cleared hills look so inviting (and accessible to a KLR) but they mostly have road blocks set up at the entrances which are easily bypassed with a scooter. Just wondering if I could get my butt in a big bind by giving in to the temptation. ;-) I've always heard it said that "It's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission". Sonny '02 KLR650

J Fortner

construction site riding

Post by J Fortner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:44 am

Keep in mind your insurance company will deny any injury, death or damage claims if anything happens since you were breaking the law riding on closed roads or private property. Is it really worth it? There are no other inviting open roads/areas to ride?
On 7/2/05, Sonny Bulla wrote: > Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? > > And,...what kind of penalty was incurred? > > There's a bunch of construction/road cutting going on around here and > the cleared hills look so inviting (and accessible to a KLR) but they > mostly have road blocks set up at the entrances which are easily > bypassed with a scooter. > > Just wondering if I could get my butt in a big bind by giving in to > the temptation. ;-) > > I've always heard it said that "It's easier to beg forgiveness than > to ask for permission". > > Sonny > '02 KLR650 > > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

Sonny Bulla

construction site riding

Post by Sonny Bulla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:08 am

Darn it!....might have known that someone would come back with a level-headed, mature response and put a big guilt trip on me for even thinking of this. Why couldn't you have said something like..."Go for it, Dude!" ;-) Heck, I'm 55 years old, insured to the teeth, AND a member of the VA health system....time to PLAY! ;-) Thanks for the reply, Sonny '02 KLR650 -------------------------------------- J Fortner replies:
>Keep in mind your insurance company will deny any injury, death or >damage claims if anything happens since you were breaking the law >riding on closed roads or private property. Is it really worth it? >There are no other inviting open roads/areas to ride? > >On 7/2/05, Sonny Bulla wrote: >> Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? >> > > And,...what kind of penalty was incurred?

Michael Silverstein

construction site riding

Post by Michael Silverstein » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:14 am

Here in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina there is precious little trail riding apart from the acres and acres of ongoing road, subdivision and office park construction. I find Sunday evenings are the best time when nobody's working, and I stay away from the equipment or anywhere that it looks like they are trying to level things out nicely. Construction sites out here are also the favorite haunts of 4WD drivers. I recently came upon a stuck jeep driver and carried him on the back of my KLR out to the road so his wife could pick him up. On a recent trip to the South West I was astounded at the amount of off road trails I could see just from the few roads I traveled. People out West should consider themselves very fortunate to have so much great riding available while us Easterners slink around in the shadows looking for a puddle or two of mud to splash in. Mike A18
> -----Original Message----- > From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of J Fortner > Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 9:43 AM > To: Sonny Bulla > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Construction site riding > > > Keep in mind your insurance company will deny any injury, > death or damage claims if anything happens since you were > breaking the law riding on closed roads or private property. > Is it really worth it? There are no other inviting open > roads/areas to ride? > > On 7/2/05, Sonny Bulla wrote: > > Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? > > > > And,...what kind of penalty was incurred? > > > > There's a bunch of construction/road cutting going on > around here and > > the cleared hills look so inviting (and accessible to a > KLR) but they > > mostly have road blocks set up at the entrances which are easily > > bypassed with a scooter. > > > > Just wondering if I could get my butt in a big bind by giving in to > > the temptation. ;-) > > > > I've always heard it said that "It's easier to beg > forgiveness than to > > ask for permission". > > > > Sonny > > '02 KLR650 >
-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.8/37 - Release Date: 7/1/2005

George Basinet

construction site riding

Post by George Basinet » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:10 am

Construction sites is where all nails, dry wall screws, broken glass, all kinds of sharp metal objects go to die. The only thing that brings them back to a useful life is when they can penetrate a brand new Avon Gripster or D606. Don't go there. George Escondido, CA Sonny Bulla wrote:
>Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? > >And,...what kind of penalty was incurred? > >There's a bunch of construction/road cutting going on around here and >the cleared hills look so inviting (and accessible to a KLR) but they >mostly have road blocks set up at the entrances which are easily >bypassed with a scooter. > >Just wondering if I could get my butt in a big bind by giving in to >the temptation. ;-) > >I've always heard it said that "It's easier to beg forgiveness than >to ask for permission". > >Sonny >'02 KLR650 > > >Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > >

Jud Jones

construction site riding

Post by Jud Jones » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:52 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Sonny Bulla wrote:
> Darn it!....might have known that someone would come back with a > level-headed, mature response and put a big guilt trip on me for even > thinking of this. > > Why couldn't you have said something like..."Go for it, Dude!" ;-) > > Heck, I'm 55 years old, insured to the teeth, AND a member of the VA > health system....time to PLAY! ;-) > > Thanks for the reply, > Sonny > '02 KLR650 > > > -------------------------------------- > J Fortner replies: > >Keep in mind your insurance company will deny any injury, death or > >damage claims if anything happens since you were breaking the law > >riding on closed roads or private property. Is it really worth it? > >There are no other inviting open roads/areas to ride? > >
Heck, the landowner (or his insurer) might have to pay anyway for maintaining an attractive nuisance.

Pat Schmid

construction site riding

Post by Pat Schmid » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:44 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Sonny Bulla wrote:
> Darn it!....might have known that someone would come back with a > level-headed, mature response and put a big guilt trip on me for even > thinking of this. > > Why couldn't you have said something like..."Go for it, Dude!" ;-) > > Heck, I'm 55 years old, insured to the teeth, AND a member of the VA > health system....time to PLAY! ;-) > > Thanks for the reply, > Sonny > '02 KLR650 >
For a different angle of responsibility, we get enough flak trying to keep riding areas open we don't need to be proving the nay sayers right by tearing up private property. Pat G'ville, NV

Svantwuyver

construction site riding

Post by Svantwuyver » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:59 am

For 15 years I rode a dirt road to work. Then they decided to pave it and it became offlimits. But I just rode around the barricades and the security guards. This lasted for about 6 months. When the road got closer to completion they started putting in landscaping. The head landscaper would give chase every morning as I drove by and I would just wave. He was not a happy camper. One day all the contractor cars were parked on one side which was not normal. I also saw an obvious unmarked security car with someone inside. I glanced inside and I saw sargent stripes and I knew it wasn't a rent-a-cop. He was facing the wrong way and smelled trouble. I passed a couple of cars on the right and jumped it up to 90MPH. I thought of splitting off on an upcomming dirt road but saw no one in my rear view mirror. Thinking I beat the wrap, I slowed to normal speed. Within a half mile the guy caught me and he was a regular cop specifically to catch people running around the barricades. I hired Mr. Ticket, a traffic fine lawyer, who for $99 hassels the courts by postponing and changing venues until the cop fails to show and then pleads not guilty. That backfired because I got sent overseas and thought I would probably not be able to make any court sessions if required, so I just paid the fine of $215. Mr. Ticket never got the message and he kept playing his game and in the end he got me driving school. That cost another $99 plus additional court fees. Because I paid the ticket, this is an admission of guilt, my insurance company was notified and my rates doubled on four bikes immediately. In the end I paid $443 in fines, traffic school and a lawyer and got approximately $400 in insurance increase. -svt- ==================== Anyone on here ever been caught while riding on construction sites? And,...what kind of penalty was incurred? There's a bunch of construction/road cutting going on around here and the cleared hills look so inviting (and accessible to a KLR) but they mostly have road blocks set up at the entrances which are easily bypassed with a scooter. Just wondering if I could get my butt in a big bind by giving in to the temptation. ;-) I've always heard it said that "It's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission". __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Michael Silverstein

construction site riding

Post by Michael Silverstein » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:45 am

> [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of George Basinet > Construction sites is where all nails, dry wall screws, broken glass, > all kinds of sharp metal objects go to die. The only thing > that brings > them back to a useful life is when they can penetrate a brand > new Avon > Gripster or D606. Don't go there.
I only ride when it is first cleared. Once they start hauling in materials I consider it off limits. Fortunately or unfortunately they are ripping up land at a fast enough rate here that there's always freshly cleared areas to ride on. Run forest run. Mike A18 -- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.8/37 - Release Date: 7/1/2005

Mike Peplinski

construction site riding

Post by Mike Peplinski » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:56 am

Last week riding on a fresh construction site, just the streets and dirt; nice and flat. So I took off across what will be someone's front yard someday and HOLY SHIT-there's a sink hole. Seems the fire hydrant pipe had been filled in and the dirt sunk-about 2 feet. What to do, try to downshift and jump (ha ha) or brake. Since I was about 8 feet away and well into second gear downshifting and pulling up to go over didn't seem like a good idea. Just going over it wasn't going to work since the hole was about 2 feet wide and sharp edged. Perfect fit for a 21 inch wheel to drop into. So I grabbed both brakes and promptly slid into the hole. Shit shit shit-now I"m laying in the bottom of the hole with the KLR on top of me, running. Once more I had to lift 350 pounds off of myself, this time from a most unleveraged position. OF course the guys working on the houses 300 yards away saw nothing. That was a mixed blessing. I didin't get any help but they weren't around to laugh at me either. I'm alive, unhurt, my A15 is just a little (more) scratched up but I'm a little smarter. One more lesson for the log book.
>From: "Michael Silverstein" >To: "'George Basinet'" >CC: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: RE: [DSN_KLR650] Construction site riding >Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:44:47 -0400 > > > [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of George Basinet > > Construction sites is where all nails, dry wall screws, broken glass, > > all kinds of sharp metal objects go to die. The only thing > > that brings > > them back to a useful life is when they can penetrate a brand > > new Avon > > Gripster or D606. Don't go there. > >I only ride when it is first cleared. Once they start hauling in >materials I consider it off limits. Fortunately or unfortunately they >are ripping up land at a fast enough rate here that there's always >freshly cleared areas to ride on. Run forest run. > >Mike A18 > >-- >No virus found in this outgoing message. >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.8/37 - Release Date: 7/1/2005 > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > >