dark side of pulling a wheelie

DSN_KLR650

clacking noise

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:17 am

I have a question for the group. I've noticed a "clacking", metal-on-metal sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. It's quite loud as I can hear it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It seems to be coming from the left side of the engine but it's difficult to be certain of that. I've looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't anything obvious like a twig stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to be a stone off the tire (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I need to take this into the shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is something obvious of which I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may have done incorrectly at the last service. Could this be a symptom of doohickey failure? Anyway, I know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. Mike

klr9992001

clacking noise

Post by klr9992001 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:47 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael (JUS)" wrote: Check your heat shield on the header pipe their knowen to come loose. Dan
> I have a question for the group. I've noticed a "clacking",
metal-on-metal
> sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. It's quite loud as I
can hear
> it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It seems to be coming
from the
> left side of the engine but it's difficult to be certain of that. I've > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't anything obvious like
a twig
> stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to be a stone off
the tire
> (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I need to take this
into the
> shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is something obvious
of which
> I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may have done
incorrectly at
> the last service. Could this be a symptom of doohickey failure?
Anyway, I
> know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for any > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > Mike

April Neave & Norm Keller

clacking noise

Post by April Neave & Norm Keller » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:15 pm

I assume from your description that the noise does not occur when stopped.... The first thing I'd check is to see if you have a tight link(s) in the chain. Otherwise more detail is needed. If it doesn't make the noise when stopped, does it make the noise with the clutch in while moving? Is it load dependent? Heavier throttle.... How about more throttle and applying the rear brake? Did you check for wheel bearing looseness? Ditto swing arm bearings? HIH Norm

matteeanne@yahoo.com

clacking noise

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:18 pm

Yeah or the other bolts holding the pipe up can come loose too, including at the motor (Lost them all at one point or another) Or it could just be the flangular induction coupler metric retainer indicator glokenspeil nut. --- klr9992001 wrote:
> > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael > (JUS)" > wrote: > Check your heat shield on the header pipe their > knowen to come loose. > Dan > > > > > > > I have a question for the group. I've noticed a > "clacking", > metal-on-metal > > sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. > It's quite loud as I > can hear > > it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It > seems to be coming > from the > > left side of the engine but it's difficult to be > certain of that. I've > > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't > anything obvious like > a twig > > stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to > be a stone off > the tire > > (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I > need to take this > into the > > shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is > something obvious > of which > > I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may > have done > incorrectly at > > the last service. Could this be a symptom of > doohickey failure? > Anyway, I > > know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and > thanks in advance for any > > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > > > Mike > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

CA Stu

clacking noise

Post by CA Stu » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:57 pm

Take your gloved fist and thump all over the source area on the bike, see if you can duplicate the noise. Best guesses: Header pipe heat shield missing bolt Loose Aftermarket skidplate Loose footpeg Loose tank shroud Loose fairing (missing screws either side of headlight) Maybe a buildup of crap inside the front sprocket cover? Take that cover off and check for crap buildup. ** Loose header bolts at the head (exhaust leaks can sound like clacks) Don't take it to the shop yet, man! Thanks CA Stu ** this may be a place to start
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > Yeah or the other bolts holding the pipe up can come > loose too, including at the motor (Lost them all at > one point or another) Or it could just be the > flangular induction coupler metric retainer indicator > glokenspeil nut. > --- klr9992001 wrote: > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael > > (JUS)" > > wrote: > > Check your heat shield on the header pipe their > > knowen to come loose. > > Dan > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have a question for the group. I've noticed a > > "clacking", > > metal-on-metal > > > sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. > > It's quite loud as I > > can hear > > > it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It > > seems to be coming > > from the > > > left side of the engine but it's difficult to be > > certain of that. I've > > > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't > > anything obvious like > > a twig > > > stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to > > be a stone off > > the tire > > > (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I > > need to take this > > into the > > > shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is > > something obvious > > of which > > > I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may > > have done > > incorrectly at > > > the last service. Could this be a symptom of > > doohickey failure? > > Anyway, I > > > know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and > > thanks in advance for any > > > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > > > > > Mike

Rodney Copeland

clacking noise

Post by Rodney Copeland » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Hope it's not your idler lever crashed. If it was, it'd be vibratin like a jack hammer! I'd look first at the radiator screen, if you're right about the noise coming from the left side. They make a hell of a racket after the rubber spacers fall off! Rod,,,with a couple screws to secure the dam thing --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael (JUS)" wrote:
> I have a question for the group. I've noticed a "clacking", metal-
on-metal
> sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. It's quite loud as I
can hear
> it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It seems to be coming
from the
> left side of the engine but it's difficult to be certain of that.
I've
> looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't anything obvious like
a twig
> stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to be a stone off
the tire
> (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I need to take this
into the
> shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is something obvious
of which
> I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may have done
incorrectly at
> the last service. Could this be a symptom of doohickey failure?
Anyway, I
> know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for
any
> advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > Mike

CA Stu

clacking noise

Post by CA Stu » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:11 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Copeland" wrote:
> > Hope it's not your idler lever crashed. > If it was, it'd be vibratin like a jack hammer!
This is not true in all cases. I rode mine 750 miles after I knew the idler lever had failed, only difference was a bit of a whirring sound (balancer chain grinding away at the cover). Thanks CA Stu

Rodney Copeland

clacking noise

Post by Rodney Copeland » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:23 pm

Yup! Forgot to say my spring broke also! Bad subject for me, as it gives me goosepimples thinkin about how bad mine vibrated and made crackin sounds on throttle! Rod
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "CA Stu" wrote: > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Rodney Copeland" wrote: > > > > Hope it's not your idler lever crashed. > > If it was, it'd be vibratin like a jack hammer! > > This is not true in all cases. > > I rode mine 750 miles after I knew the idler lever had failed, only > difference was a bit of a whirring sound (balancer chain grinding away > at the cover). > > Thanks > CA Stu

Jim

clacking noise

Post by Jim » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:27 pm

I suggest checking your motor mount bolts. -Jim A-15
> Take your gloved fist and thump all over the source area on the bike, > see if you can duplicate the noise. > > Best guesses: > > Header pipe heat shield missing bolt > Loose Aftermarket skidplate > Loose footpeg > Loose tank shroud > Loose fairing (missing screws either side of headlight) > Maybe a buildup of crap inside the front sprocket cover? Take that > cover off and check for crap buildup. > ** Loose header bolts at the head (exhaust leaks can sound like > clacks) > > > Don't take it to the shop yet, man! > > Thanks > CA Stu > > ** this may be a place to start > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > > Yeah or the other bolts holding the pipe up can come > > loose too, including at the motor (Lost them all at > > one point or another) Or it could just be the > > flangular induction coupler metric retainer indicator > > glokenspeil nut. > > --- klr9992001 wrote: > > > > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael > > > (JUS)" > > > wrote: > > > Check your heat shield on the header pipe their > > > knowen to come loose. > > > Dan > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have a question for the group. I've noticed a > > > "clacking", > > > metal-on-metal > > > > sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. > > > It's quite loud as I > > > can hear > > > > it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It > > > seems to be coming > > > from the > > > > left side of the engine but it's difficult to be > > > certain of that. I've > > > > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't > > > anything obvious like > > > a twig > > > > stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to > > > be a stone off > > > the tire > > > > (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I > > > need to take this > > > into the > > > > shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is > > > something obvious > > > of which > > > > I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may > > > have done > > > incorrectly at > > > > the last service. Could this be a symptom of > > > doohickey failure? > > > Anyway, I > > > > know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and > > > thanks in advance for any > > > > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > > > > > > > Mike

cl cooper

clacking noise

Post by cl cooper » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:42 pm

I suggest checking: Upper and lower sandusky ports Freebus valve Vacume modulator inverter Muffler bearings Occasionally, excessively hard cornering will put undue stress on the valve springs requiring replacement, or at a minimum, retorquing Hope this is helpful ;-)
>From: >To: klr9992001 , DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Clacking Noise >Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:18:55 -0700 (PDT) > > >Yeah or the other bolts holding the pipe up can come >loose too, including at the motor (Lost them all at >one point or another) Or it could just be the >flangular induction coupler metric retainer indicator >glokenspeil nut. >--- klr9992001 wrote: > > > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pople, Michael > > (JUS)" > > wrote: > > Check your heat shield on the header pipe their > > knowen to come loose. > > Dan > > > > > > > > > > > > > I have a question for the group. I've noticed a > > "clacking", > > metal-on-metal > > > sound at low speeds; especially when I shift. > > It's quite loud as I > > can hear > > > it clearly through my helmet and earplugs. It > > seems to be coming > > from the > > > left side of the engine but it's difficult to be > > certain of that. I've > > > looked everything over repeatedly so it isn't > > anything obvious like > > a twig > > > stuck in the frame and it happens too regularly to > > be a stone off > > the tire > > > (thought that's what it sounds like). Clearly I > > need to take this > > into the > > > shop but first I wanted some advice in case it is > > something obvious > > of which > > > I am unaware or possibly something my mechanic may > > have done > > incorrectly at > > > the last service. Could this be a symptom of > > doohickey failure? > > Anyway, I > > > know this is vague so pardon my ignorance and > > thanks in advance for any > > > advice anyone can offer. It's much appreciated. > > > > > Mike > > > > > > > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > > >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > > www.dualsportnews.com > > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >__________________________________ >Do you Yahoo!? >Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/ > > >Archive Quicksearch at: >http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >