wtb:...searching for the ever-elusive used klr in boise

DSN_KLR650
Darren Clark

2006 changes? >with new product rant<

Post by Darren Clark » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:27 pm

You don't want the first year run of anything. Trust me, I've done QC for the big 3 here in Michigan for the last decade. The first year or two is finding and fixing bugs and design flaws (like beta software, but these are beta cars and trucks). Seems lately the bean counters are at fault for most of the problems, the latest one I'm working on is a failing automatic transmission case because somebody has the bright idea to remove all the reinforcing ribs and thin out the walls of the casting to save $0.11 on each casting. Well, put that behind a V10 with a heavy transfer case hanging behind it then run it at the trucks max GVWR in a simulated construction environment (proving grounds). For some reason nobody can figure out why the transmission case splits wide open dumping everything on the ground, and the finger pointing begins. Must be the foundry, bad castings or alloy mix, maybe the transfer line that's making the case? Couldn't be the design, because it worked when it was a prototype, before the bean counters saved $0.11 on the casting. Rant aside, I hope they don't do too much to it if they do anything. One piece doohicky, great! I'd welcome that. I think any changes for 2006 would have to do with emissions. Maybe new fuel delivery system, different exhaust, cylinder head. Other than that I can't see anything else changing. Darren Clark 2004 KLR650 A-18 kolbike wrote:
> >Last weekend I stopped at my local dealer, and the salesman >mentioned that Kawasaki may be changing the KLR. He said something >about hearing more in April/May. Just courious if anyone else has >heard of this. My A14 is starting to get miles on it. Would I want >to buy the first model year of the bike? aka first model year of a >car! > > > > > > > > >Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > >

Steve Gaines

wtb:...searching for the ever-elusive used klr in boise

Post by Steve Gaines » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:25 pm

Have you seen one?...I've heard the rare campfire story of them existing but my quest has turned up nothing. It's rumored to be between a '98-'05, well-cared for, and hopefully within 3hrs or so of Boise. I've witnessed some great specimens in far-away lands which has unfortunately turned, otherwise, ideal finds into imprudent investments. If you have witnessed one yourself, know of someone who might be sheltering one, or have heard of a reported sighting, please contact me...and help to bring the elusive KLR out of hiding and into the miles and miles of open terrain where it can live as intended! Thank you for your help! stv_gns@yahoo __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

David Manley

2006 changes? >with new product rant<

Post by David Manley » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:54 pm

Our local Suzuki dealer (Queensland, Australia) tells me Kawasaki will definitely be getting a version of the 650 V-Strom. This has been previously posted here for Europe I believe. Over here I gather this has been the best selling bike they have (and the larger V-Strom one of the worst). Indeed he was surprised Kawasaki didn't have the bike yet. It would seem likely if this is the case that the KLR may be discontinued. David.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Darren Clark" To: "kolbike" Cc: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 3:27 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] 2006 Changes? >with new product rant > You don't want the first year run of anything. Trust me, I've done QC > for the big 3 here in Michigan for the last decade. The first year or > two is finding and fixing bugs and design flaws (like beta software, but > these are beta cars and trucks). Seems lately the bean counters are at > fault for most of the problems, the latest one I'm working on is a > failing automatic transmission case because somebody has the bright idea > to remove all the reinforcing ribs and thin out the walls of the casting > to save $0.11 on each casting. Well, put that behind a V10 with a heavy > transfer case hanging behind it then run it at the trucks max GVWR in a > simulated construction environment (proving grounds). For some reason > nobody can figure out why the transmission case splits wide open dumping > everything on the ground, and the finger pointing begins. Must be the > foundry, bad castings or alloy mix, maybe the transfer line that's > making the case? Couldn't be the design, because it worked when it was a > prototype, before the bean counters saved $0.11 on the casting. > > Rant aside, I hope they don't do too much to it if they do anything. One > piece doohicky, great! I'd welcome that. I think any changes for 2006 > would have to do with emissions. Maybe new fuel delivery system, > different exhaust, cylinder head. Other than that I can't see anything > else changing. > > Darren Clark > 2004 KLR650 A-18 > > > > > > kolbike wrote: > >> >>Last weekend I stopped at my local dealer, and the salesman >>mentioned that Kawasaki may be changing the KLR. He said something >>about hearing more in April/May. Just courious if anyone else has >>heard of this. My A14 is starting to get miles on it. Would I want >>to buy the first model year of the bike? aka first model year of a >>car! >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>Archive Quicksearch at: >>http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html >>List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com >>List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >> >> >>Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > Archive Quicksearch at: > http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >