old tall guy on a klr

DSN_KLR650
Kevin Kroeker

how to lift klr without centre stand

Post by Kevin Kroeker » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:10 pm

Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a centre stand? I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and subframe, so both wheels have to be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand or bike lift (both expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Thanks for the help!

Tengai Mark Van Horn

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 pm

Milk crate. A real one, not a Wal-mart college dorm bookshelf. Mark At 3:10 PM -0800 3/12/05, Kevin Kroeker wrote:
>Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a centre stand? > >I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and subframe, so both wheels have to >be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand or bike lift (both >expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do this. > >Thanks for the help!

Pat (M)

Post by Pat (M) » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:30 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Kroeker" wrote:
> Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a centre stand? > > I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and subframe, so both wheels
have to
> be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand or bike lift (both > expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do this. > > Thanks for the help!
= = = I made a cheap lift out of a 3-4' scrap end from a 4X12 beam (easy to come by at any new home construction site - free, just ask). I drilled a 1" hole near one corner and inserted a 3' lenghth of EMT to lever it up. Works like a charm, even added hi-zook $0.99 eyehooks on the ends to attach tie-downs. My Honda has more ground clearence than the KLR so I just lay 2 paralell 4X4's on the floor under the beam lift to raise the bike a bit more. Takes up very little garage room! Cost:

Ramey

Post by Ramey » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:36 pm

I made a center stand out of 3/8 pipe fittings. It uses t's, 90 elbows, caps and various short pre threaded nipples. It's like a square, up side down U, with stabilizers running fore and aft. You tip the bike over on the front wheel and center stand, then slide the pipe fitting gizmo under the frame behind the drain plug. It is very very stable. Do one wheel at a time. It cost under $10. I have unscrewed it and taken it on long trips. Have since made a jack stick, but it is only for tires and isn't near as stable. Hope helps. Zac -----Original Message----- From: Kevin Kroeker [mailto:kevinkroeker@...] Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 3:10 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] How to lift KLR without centre stand Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a centre stand? I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and subframe, so both wheels have to be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand or bike lift (both expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do this. Thanks for the help! Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

steve pye

Post by steve pye » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:40 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tengai Mark Van Horn" > > Milk crate. > A real one, not a Wal-mart college dorm bookshelf. > > Mark I 2nd Mark's opinion. If the milk crate doesn't give you the height you want, put a couple of 2X4's between the top of the crate and the bike. Seems to work real well if the 2x4's are just a bit wider than the crate. ** Extra Tip** Milk crates make great carriers when bungee corded to your luggage rack. The brighter the colour the better. :-) Cheers, Steve

desertexplorer308

old tall guy on a klr

Post by desertexplorer308 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Stop dreaming and buy it, got mine a month ago, also 6'1" 45 yrs old. markII in vegas
>Hey Guys...looking for your opinions> >I'm 38, 6'1", and have the mc bug. I looked at the ninja >So heres the question...should a newbie like me buy one? 99% of the >time I'll be on blacktop, commuting 35 each way. 70-75 mph ok? >Thanks in advance >AztecRedKLR650

Todd Hallstrom

Post by Todd Hallstrom » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:10 pm

Don't know where your at, but I just bought a bike lift for my A19 from PEP Boys for $37.00. ($47.00 with $10 mail in rebate.) Works great and cheap. TH SLC, UT A19 --- Kevin Kroeker wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a > centre stand? > > I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and > subframe, so both wheels have to > be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand > or bike lift (both > expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do > this. > > Thanks for the help! > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Russell Scott

Post by Russell Scott » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:31 pm

I got the same deal. Excellent lift at a super price. Cheaper than most static stands. R -----Original Message----- From: Todd Hallstrom [mailto:hallstromt@...] Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 5:11 PM To: Kevin Kroeker; DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] How to lift KLR without centre stand Don't know where your at, but I just bought a bike lift for my A19 from PEP Boys for $37.00. ($47.00 with $10 mail in rebate.) Works great and cheap. TH SLC, UT A19 --- Kevin Kroeker wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest how to lift a KLR650 without a > centre stand? > > I need to remove both wheels, swingarm, and > subframe, so both wheels have to > be off the ground. Other than buying a centre stand > or bike lift (both > expensive!), I haven't been able to find a way to do > this. > > Thanks for the help! > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links