nklr sorta

DSN_KLR650
bugarows

lower bars

Post by bugarows » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:33 am

I have a 03 650 KLR which I am very happy with.I've done the usual mods (exhaust,jet kit,progressive springs,Gafler pads and braided lines), and I use the bike exclusvely on the street. No dirt, hence Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres.What I want to know if any one has fitted lower than stock handle bars and any problems encounted.The object of the exercise is to get out of the wind stream by lowering my body on the bike. I do not want to fit a taller screen.Hope this request dose not sound to bizzare cos I come from a sport bike background and prefer the lean forward position. Cheers....Bugarows.

Jud Jones

lower bars

Post by Jud Jones » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:41 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "bugarows" wrote:
> > I have a 03 650 KLR which I am very happy with.I've done the usual > mods (exhaust,jet kit,progressive springs,Gafler pads and braided > lines), and I use the bike exclusvely on the street. No dirt, hence > Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres.What I want to know if any one has fitted > lower than stock handle bars and any problems encounted.The object of > the exercise is to get out of the wind stream by lowering my body on > the bike. I do not want to fit a taller screen.Hope this request dose > not sound to bizzare cos I come from a sport bike background and > prefer the lean forward position. Cheers....Bugarows.
Hmmm, I have often wondered how the Triumph euro bend would work on the KLR. A low, fairly narrow bar, but swept back quite a bit more than any other low bar. Accomodates a semi crouch as well as a more upright position.

kdxkawboy@aol.com

lower bars

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:21 am

In a message dated 1/27/2005 3:43:10 AM Pacific Standard Time, SJENNO@... writes: What I want to know if any one has fitted lower than stock handle bars and any problems encounted. I'm running a set of bars with a Honda CR-HI bend: about two inches lower and an inch less pull back than stock. I didn't have any problems getting all the controls back on, there was enough room. No clearance problems either. The only adjustment I had to make was to provide a fit between my ANC 'U' channel bark buster clamps and IMS 6.5 gallon tank. The tank is taller and sticks further forward than the stock tank and I had to file off about 0.25 inches off the inside corner of the ANC clamps to keep them from hitting the tank at full lock. The Honda CR-LO bend does get to be a snug fit, but it is doable. This might be the bar bend you want to start with as it is about an inch to an inch and a half lower. If you get one of the aluminum bars, the cross bar clamps on and you can remove it to get the extra clearance which the bar clamps. You can drop the cross bar as you don't really needed the extra stiffness it provides for street riding. Pat G'ville, NV [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tengai Mark Van Horn

lower bars

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:28 am

At 11:32 AM +0000 1/27/05, bugarows wrote:
>I have a 03 650 KLR which I am very happy with.I've done the usual >mods (exhaust,jet kit,progressive springs,Gafler pads and braided >lines), and I use the bike exclusvely on the street. No dirt, hence >Bridgestone Battleaxe tyres.What I want to know if any one has fitted >lower than stock handle bars and any problems encounted.The object of >the exercise is to get out of the wind stream by lowering my body on >the bike. I do not want to fit a taller screen.Hope this request dose >not sound to bizzare cos I come from a sport bike background and >prefer the lean forward position. Cheers....Bugarows.
I have a set of 2" lower Renthals on one of my KLRs. They're great except I had to rotate the left switch cluster a tad 'cuz the choke lever touched the tank. This changed when I got the push-to-cancel cluster and choke relocation kit from www.cycle-analyst.com. Mark

Alan L Henderson

nklr sorta

Post by Alan L Henderson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:28 pm

Just listened to "Vincent 52" by Richard Thompson about 20 times while cleaning the kitchen, after preparing to paint in a room that I haven't quite finished laying 3/4 inch oak flooring in. I wouldn't be painting yet accept for the fact that daughter and wife thought it would be a good thing to do. Help! Alan Henderson A13 Iowa "Vincent Black Lightning 1952","Red hair and black leather, my favourite colour scheme".