ims tank - gas leaking from rear-left molded in nut

DSN_KLR650
gorm_larsen

spark mystery, chapter 2

Post by gorm_larsen » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:54 pm

My 02 KLR ran fine for 300 kms. after cleaning ignition coil contacts, changing the plug and re-doing the "flimsy" connection to the plug boot. Then it happened again; it just died. Off came the seat and tank, in the parking lot at Lake Louise, and I noticed that with the fuel and vent hose off the pet cock, no fuel was coming out when I opened the pet cock valve. Shouldn't fuel be flowing freely through the pet cock when the valve is set in the on or reserve position? If so, I know where I have a problem and will rest much easier once that is fixed. Thanks for any reply, Gorm L., BC, Canada

Mark Sampson

spark mystery, chapter 2

Post by Mark Sampson » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:16 pm

Shouldn't fuel be flowing freely through the pet cock when the valve is set in the on or reserve position? Nope---fuel will only flow out of the petcock when the engine is running---and there is vacuum on the petcock. I think you can suck on the vacuum line with you mouth to simulate the engine running and see if fuel flows--if it doesn't--something is plugged or the petcock is bad. Open the gas cap and make sure the tank isn't under a vacuum to---not letting fuel flow. Mark Sampson www.bigdogadventures.com

dooden

spark mystery, chapter 2

Post by dooden » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:38 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "gorm_larsen" wrote:
> My 02 KLR ran fine for 300 kms. after cleaning ignition coil > contacts, changing the plug and re-doing the "flimsy" connection to > the plug boot. > Then it happened again; it just died. > Off came the seat and tank, in the parking lot at Lake Louise, and I > noticed that with the fuel and vent hose off the pet cock, no fuel > was coming out when I opened the pet cock valve. > Shouldn't fuel be flowing freely through the pet cock when the valve > is set in the on or reserve position? > If so, I know where I have a problem and will rest much easier once > that is fixed. > Thanks for any reply, > Gorm L., BC, Canada
Sure with the motor running, remember the petcock on the KLR is vacuum operated. By chance are them hoses in good condition ? For about $2 you should be able to get new hose, do not know the size off the top of my head. But fuel delivery and no spark are different animals. Another thought... the KILL switch or Key switch could it be that they are dirty and giving open circuits from time to time ? When it happens cycle the switches a few times and see if that helps before touching anything. Electrical gremlins are little boogers to fix. Dooden A15 Green Ape

Ron Crandell

spark mystery, chapter 2

Post by Ron Crandell » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "gorm_larsen" wrote:
> My 02 KLR ran fine for 300 kms. after cleaning ignition coil > contacts, changing the plug and re-doing the "flimsy" connection to > the plug boot. > Then it happened again; it just died. > Off came the seat and tank, in the parking lot at Lake Louise, and
I
> noticed that with the fuel and vent hose off the pet cock, no fuel > was coming out when I opened the pet cock valve. > Shouldn't fuel be flowing freely through the pet cock when the
valve
> is set in the on or reserve position? > If so, I know where I have a problem and will rest much easier once > that is fixed. > Thanks for any reply, > Gorm L., BC, Canada
Could one of the infamous "safety switches" be causing you this grief? After having the side-stand safety switch cause me some problems on my '93, the first thing I did wity my '02 is to remove this switch and the clutch safety switch. I'm willing to take the risk with having these disarmed.. I believe that Mark's pages show how you can handle this procedure. Good luck!! Ron in MN

graphicdes2

ims tank - gas leaking from rear-left molded in nut

Post by graphicdes2 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:34 am

Just finished installing my IMS tank. What a pain. Had to mill out the slots on the mounting plate and make my own radiator brackets. To get it to fit I also had to reverse the gaskets and take out the lower rubber tank stop. The petcock area was flat so no leaks. Finish on the tank was pretty poor, lots of scratches. On the plus side IMS was willing to replace the tank. Would have returned it except I badly needed a radiator guard and didn't have time to wait for a replacement. The radiator wouldn't have lasted another drop. Already had to make a new fan hub. Really like the tank, just wish fit and finish would have been better. If you just bought the tank, return it. I don't think there is an easy fix to your problem. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mike torst" wrote:
> I wasn't clear I guess. It is not the petcock - the gas is seeping
from an
> embedded nut at the rear of the tank shell. > > The petcock orifice is 100% sealed and functional. > > Mike Torst > A16 > Las Vegas > > > -----Original Message----- > From: wannabsmooth1 [mailto:eaglemike@s...] > Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 7:37 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: IMS tank - gas leaking from rear-left
molded in
> nut > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mike torst"
> wrote: > > I went to far I guess. I inverted the rear tank mount rubbers of > my IMS tank > > so that the rear of the tank was 3/16" lower than stock. It works > for stock > > metal tanks, so what the heck, I thought it would work for the IMS > tank as > > well. I think it created a problem - not sure, as IMS is only open > on > > weekdays so I am on my own. I do know that the upper frame rail > was in > > contact with the underside of the tank. Not a bad thing by itself, > but I > > think a bit of stress was experienced by the aluminum rear > mounting bracket > > - just a guess at this time - it may be unrelated. > > > > The rear-left nut is allowing fuel to drip (one drop every 2-3 > seconds). > > > > I purchased a plastic 2-part cold weld product, and it pulled off > the tank > > material with little fuss - not good. SO, back to JB weld. Hope it > bonds ( > > sanded w/ 150 grit, and so far so good). > > > > > > Has anyone repaired IMS tanks? > > > > I am knocking on wood at this time, as I am using the slow-set JB > Weld.... > > > > Mike Torst > > Las Vegas > > Mike, > > I don't know how familiar you are with the IMs tank situation, > but.... they are never flat in the petcock attach area as they come > from the factory. They often require an hour or so with a decent > file, and someone that knows how to carefully use it to get it flat > enough to keep from leaking. Hope his helps. > > Mike > > > > > > > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
Unsubscribe by
> sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links