am43 front distanzia for $30.21

DSN_KLR650
dlnevins

a3 front sprocket play?

Post by dlnevins » Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:39 pm

Hi Group: Recent 1989 A3 owner ( 1 month of happiness ) notices 'new' front sprocket (from previous owner) has a small amount of sideplay ( 1/8 inch?) Is this normal? If not , I saw that someone has a shim kit? Could this be what I need? I get a bad vibrating noise on deceleration, even with chain adjusted properly? I notice that the front sprocket part # changed after 1989 models, What is the difference? Could a later model sprocket have been erroneously installed ? 16t Is that too tall for general commuting and light hiway usage? Should I Call Fred? Thanks, Dwight

bigfatgreenbike

a3 front sprocket play?

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:32 pm

dlnevins@... wrote:
>Hi Group: >Recent 1989 A3 owner ( 1 month of happiness ) notices 'new' front >sprocket (from previous owner) has a small amount of sideplay ( 1/8 >inch?) > >Is this normal? If not >
Not normal. Will eventually ruin the countershaft.
>, I saw that someone has a shim kit? >
Everyone with an early KLR that I've seen swears by the shim kit. www.sagebrushmachine.com I think Jake first made the kit to sort out his early-year KLR.
> > >I notice that the front sprocket part # changed after 1989 models, >What is the difference? Could a later model sprocket have been >erroneously installed ? >
Later model bikes have a single large countershaft nut to retain the sprocket, with a tabbed lockwasher. I don't remember what year they switched from the two bolts. A later sprocket won't fit IIRC.
> >16t Is that too tall for general commuting and light hiway usage? > >
Unless you're touring I would leave the sprocket a 15t. I use a 14t (like it better offroad) and still do a lot of highway miles
>Should I Call Fred? > >
He'll likely have the sprocket handy but I don't think he sells the shim kit. That comes directly from Jake (sagebrushmachine.com) Devon

Kelley Kinser

a3 front sprocket play?

Post by Kelley Kinser » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:46 pm

Dwight, A later model sprocket won't fit. The bolt spacing is different. I have an 89 that has the same problem of play in the counter sprocket. I just ordered a shim kit and retainer from Jake (Sagebrush machine). He will be making up some retainers in a week or two when he finishes another project. I would get on the list if you want to get one. He will need to know the spacing on the bolt holes to make sure you get the right one. There are a couple of different ones in that year range. If left as it is, the movement will damage the splines on the shaft and create a much bigger problem. Kelley........... __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail is new and improved - Check it out! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Conall

am43 front distanzia for $30.21

Post by Conall » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:04 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "denningpat" wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, rm@r... wrote: > > > > Somebody jump on this... > > > > http://store.azmusa.com/av-700tcms.html > I ordered mine on the evening of the 1st and they said the item was > no longer available
My order for two tires was cancelled too. No longer available. Conall