unusual "catch" in the shifter - 2002 klr 5400 m1

DSN_KLR650
George S.Q. Adams

quiet please! (a klr helmet thread)

Post by George S.Q. Adams » Mon May 10, 2004 1:20 pm

I have a Choko flip up helmet which I got at a very good price ($170 Canadian) hard to find info on this helmet but here is a link I found: http://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?ProdID=236 However, I digess slightly... Since I ride my KLR mainly off road or short road trips (60km or less) I don't generally get bothered by road/wind noise. However I recently took a (still somewhat) short trip of 2 hours each way and by the time I arrived my ears were in pain even using earplugs. Mostly wind and tire noise (stock windshield/Kenda 270 tires). I guess I rode a bit fast at 140-160 kph indicated, but still...it was darn loud! How do you guys stand it? I have no other helmet to compare to but I am looking for comments on what is the quietest helmet on the market, or alternate or conjunctive options. I love the flip up face but would be willing to forego it on long road trips if I can get some bloody peace in my head! (hmmm...OK maybe that is an entirely different NKLR thread)

KLR 650

Post by KLR 650 » Mon May 10, 2004 2:23 pm

George S.Q. Adams wrote:
> by the time I arrived my ears were in pain even using earplugs.
What kind of earplugs??? Also - do you have the standard windscreen? Might consider a bigger one, or like some folks here do - remove it altogether - to move where the wind hits you... jim

George S.Q. Adams

Post by George S.Q. Adams » Mon May 10, 2004 2:43 pm

Disposable foam ones...decibel reduction rating of 33 (apparently quite good on the scale of what's available) Yes, standard windscreen.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, KLR 650 wrote: > George S.Q. Adams wrote: > > > by the time I arrived my ears were in pain even using earplugs. > > What kind of earplugs??? > > Also - do you have the standard windscreen? Might consider a bigger one, > or like some folks here do - remove it altogether - to move where the > wind hits you... > > jim

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon May 10, 2004 2:43 pm

My Shoei RF900 is pretty quiet, with plugs in I have no problem at all with noise. I can't compare with the modular helmets as I haven't ridden with one myself yet, but I do know that they have a reputation for being louder than a 'regular' full-face helmet.
> I have a Choko flip up helmet which I got at a very good price ($170 > I guess I rode a bit fast at 140-160 kph indicated, but still...it > was darn loud! How do you guys stand it? > I have no other helmet to compare to but I am looking for comments on > what is the quietest helmet on the market, or alternate or > conjunctive options.

doug.newton@ryobitools.com

unusual "catch" in the shifter - 2002 klr 5400 m1

Post by doug.newton@ryobitools.com » Mon May 10, 2004 4:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone had encountered a slight catch in the shifter when downshifting. I feel it ever so slightly when I press down on the shifter after having up shifted. It feels like a very slight catch. In fact if I can also feel it when the bike is parked (engine off) and I pull up on shifter (not far enough to shift it, just pull against the spring), then start to push down on the shifter. I do not feel anything in the reverse scenario. Note it is a very slight catch. Does anyone else's do this? Is it a legitimate concern or am I just paranoid? BTW, the bike shifts great. Input appreciated. Doug