doohickey installation

DSN_KLR650
Robert W. Hearns

kick starter

Post by Robert W. Hearns » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:51 pm

Thomas Baumen wrote:
> This 93 I have has a hole in the motor marked KICKSTARTER. I > wouldlike to use it. Do I go to Kawasaki and buy the lever or is it > cleverly hidden some where on the bike? > I can find it if it is but I ain't so sharp. > Tom
I too am interested in fitting a kickstarter to my 2001. There is a plug on the right side. Anyone know if this is a possible task? Robert

Swede

kick starter

Post by Swede » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:04 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Robert W. Hearns" wrote:
> Thomas Baumen wrote: > > > This 93 I have has a hole in the motor marked KICKSTARTER. I > > wouldlike to use it. Do I go to Kawasaki and buy the lever or is
it
> > cleverly hidden some where on the bike? > > I can find it if it is but I ain't so sharp. > > Tom > > I too am interested in fitting a kickstarter to my 2001. There is
a plug on
> the right side. Anyone know if this is a possible task? > > Robert
Pre '96 - Yes, has to be ordered from dealer - approx. $200. "96 and newer - No, changed clutch basket didn't leave room for the kick starter components. "Swede"

Fred Hink

kick starter

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:12 pm

The last time I tried to order one of these kick starter kits, I was told by Kawasaki that they were no longer available. The individual pieces in the kit were still available but the total would have been around $800. The kits were much cheaper around $175 I believe. Fred www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: Swede To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2001 8:04 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Kick Starter --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Robert W. Hearns" wrote: > Thomas Baumen wrote: > > > This 93 I have has a hole in the motor marked KICKSTARTER. I > > wouldlike to use it. Do I go to Kawasaki and buy the lever or is it > > cleverly hidden some where on the bike? > > I can find it if it is but I ain't so sharp. > > Tom > > I too am interested in fitting a kickstarter to my 2001. There is a plug on > the right side. Anyone know if this is a possible task? > > Robert Pre '96 - Yes, has to be ordered from dealer - approx. $200. "96 and newer - No, changed clutch basket didn't leave room for the kick starter components. "Swede" [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

JEFFREY WOODARD

kick starter

Post by JEFFREY WOODARD » Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:48 am

Thanks for the info guys,looks like I'll have to rely on the electric start. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kelpo2001

kick starter

Post by kelpo2001 » Fri Mar 08, 2002 9:13 am

I have never even seen a KLR650 much less drive one, yet I am seriously considering buying one this spring. I have done a lot of reasearch on the internet and am amazed at the almost cult following this bike has achieved. I live in a remote area in northern Ontario, Canada and it seems like the perfect bike to replace the old Yamaha DT250 I have been keeping for old times sake. Questions: Does the KLR650 have a kick starter in addition to the electric starter? If not, is this a problem? Is it hard to bump-start if required? I don't know about having to rely on only an electric starting system when riding in a remote area. My nearest Kawasaki dealer (2 hours drive from here) mailed me a brochure for the 2001 dual sport bikes and it shows both the KLR650A and a KLR650C. The notable differences are the gas tank, fork rake angle, and body plastics color and shape. I had not come across the KLR650C in my research and am asking for comments good or bad about it. Have there been any significant changes to the 2002 model that would warrant me choosing it rather than the 2001 model the dealer has in stock? This is a great forum and I will appreciate any help experienced KLR650 owners can provide, Rick

Ian S.

kick starter

Post by Ian S. » Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:54 pm

I think the klr-a is better than the klr-c. It has a bigger gas tank, and better suspension and such - it is more dirt oriented. The 650 does not have a kicker, which is a pain. However, you can buy one from kawasaki and put it on. I think it is $200 (?). My old klr600 has a kicker, and when (or if) the thing fails i will take the kicker off of it and put it on my 650 (it would probably fit). If you are going to be hardcore adventure touring out with the grizzlies, i would HIGHLY reccomend getting the kicker on it. Especially if you are going to be fording rivers. I went down and looked at the 2002 a bit ago and all i can see different is the color scheme, and other very non mechanicla things. I may be wrong, The other guys here are real experts- they can probably tell you better than me ;). It is a heavy bike so bump starting is not as simple as it probably is on your 250. Pushing the thing up a hill is a chore. Good luck with the bike, whichever you get. Ride safe. Ian aka Maniac 1993 KLR650 So. California
----- Original Message ----- From: "kelpo2001" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 7:12 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Kick starter > I have never even seen a KLR650 much less drive one, yet I am > seriously considering buying one this spring. I have done a lot of > reasearch on the internet and am amazed at the almost cult following > this bike has achieved. I live in a remote area in northern Ontario, > Canada and it seems like the perfect bike to replace the old Yamaha > DT250 I have been keeping for old times sake. > Questions: Does the KLR650 have a kick starter in addition to the > electric starter? If not, is this a problem? Is it hard to bump-start > if required? I don't know about having to rely on only an electric > starting system when riding in a remote area. > My nearest Kawasaki dealer (2 hours drive from here) mailed me a > brochure for the 2001 dual sport bikes and it shows both the KLR650A > and a KLR650C. The notable differences are the gas tank, fork rake > angle, and body plastics color and shape. I had not come across the > KLR650C in my research and am asking for comments good or bad about > it. > Have there been any significant changes to the 2002 model that would > warrant me choosing it rather than the 2001 model the dealer has in > stock? > This is a great forum and I will appreciate any help experienced > KLR650 owners can provide, > Rick > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ >

Devon Jarvis

kick starter

Post by Devon Jarvis » Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:45 pm

The kickstarter won't fit any KLR past '95 I think. Some of the internals are different As far as bump starting, static compression and cylinder size are more important than weight. I could easily bump start my '85 XJ700 (475lb) and my buddy's '79 CB650 (550lb). But my 350lb SR500 with the 10:1 piston is REALLY hard to push start. Devon "Ian S." wrote:
> > I think the klr-a is better than the klr-c. It has a bigger gas tank, and > better suspension and such - it is more dirt oriented. The 650 does not have > a kicker, which is a pain. However, you can buy one from kawasaki and put it > on. I think it is $200 (?). My old klr600 has a kicker, and when (or if) the > thing fails i will take the kicker off of it and put it on my 650 (it would > probably fit). If you are going to be hardcore adventure touring out with > the grizzlies, i would HIGHLY reccomend getting the kicker on it. Especially > if you are going to be fording rivers. > I went down and looked at the 2002 a bit ago and all i can see different > is the color scheme, and other very non mechanicla things. I may be wrong, > The other guys here are real experts- they can probably tell you better than > me ;). > It is a heavy bike so bump starting is not as simple as it probably is > on your 250. Pushing the thing up a hill is a chore. > Good luck with the bike, whichever you get. Ride safe. > > Ian aka Maniac > > 1993 KLR650 >

Bogdan Swider

kick starter

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:18 pm

> I live in a remote area in northern Ontario >
One of my favorite parts of the world. Last year I crossed over at International Falls then took 11 across to North Bay. The klr loved the ride. I ended up on a lake between Combermere and Barry's Bay. Stopped at many chip trucks along the way. But hey, in many small towns you couldn't buy a single beer only a 6-pack. I know, North woods types drink at least 6. Where are you located ?
> , > I don't know about having to rely on only an electric > starting system when riding in a remote area. >
You can't fit a kicker on a post 95 but if you keep your battery charged and wet I don't believe there's much chance of you having trouble
> My nearest Kawasaki dealer (2 hours drive from here) mailed me a > brochure for the 2001 dual sport bikes and it shows both the KLR650A > and a KLR650C. >
The C is not sold in the states; does even one lister own one ? The smaller tank would definitely be a minus ( especially on hiway 11 ) but someone said the C has a better brake. You should be able to mount a large 7.1 gallon tank on the C for about $ 150 ( ? ) U.S.
> Have there been any significant changes to the 2002 model that would > warrant me choosing it rather than the 2001 model the dealer has in > stock? > >
I think they're identical except for color. In fact the 2001 might be better cause it still might have been made in Japan instead of Thailand where the 2002s are manufactured.
> This is a great forum and I will appreciate any help experienced > KLR650 owners can provide, > Rick > >
Go for it Rick, Bogdan

Chris Krok

kick starter

Post by Chris Krok » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:04 am

> From: "b_b_382002" > Subject: KLR 600/650 KICK START MOD > > Does anyone have any info on a supposed mod to add a kick start to a > klr 650? > > He says there is a klr 600 kick start kit or whatever that > just "bolts on" to the 650 once a hole is drilled in the right side > engine cover.
Dooden was right; the clutch basket on '96 and later bikes will not allow use of the kick starter. For earlier bikes, no hole needs to be drilled; there is already a capped passage (which still exists on later bikes, I think). Don't know if the 600 kickstarter will work on the 650. Eldon Carl said that the parts are a crappy fit, and it wouldn't start the bike anyway. I'd like to find out for myself, if I ever manage to find a kit... Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Chuck Chiodini

kick starter

Post by Chuck Chiodini » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:20 am

Fellow listers: I have a '93 KLR with the factory kick start lever installed. Have had terrible luck in using it though. I'm used to kick starting bikes as both my '73 Yamaha 360 and Harley don't have "electric legs" (Neither does the '83 Honda TwinStar but she doesn't count as you can kick start this bike with your hand). I think the problem may be the automatic decompression lever on the KLR. I don't use the decompression lever on the Yamaha and she starts first kick every time. The KLR on the other hand, feels "weak" when I kick her over. Maybe I need to disable the automatic decompression valve on the KLR? If you really kick hard and fast, sometimes the bike will actually start. Let's not talk about how your right foot instep gets smashed on the foot peg when you do this..OUCH! So, for you other "kick-starters" of KLRs out there, what is the starting procedure that produces the best results? I'm baffled at this point and my right foot is bruised. Don't want to sound rude but I need to hear from KLR folks who actually kick-start their bikes and not theory from someone who doesn't or who does/did on another bike. I know how to kick start most bikes but not the KLR evidently. Why do I even want to kick start the KLR? #1 It looks cool, #2 it's part of motorcycling tradition (if you can start it, you can ride it!) #3 it might beat push starting while on a dirt trail someday #4 most modern "bikers" don't even know what a kick start is! Chuck (limping around on a bashed right foot) Chiodini _________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus