a16 plastic

DSN_KLR650
Mark Lewis

a16 plastic

Post by Mark Lewis » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:41 pm

"Anyway I"m looking for some perfect plastic. Right hand guard,right tank shroud (2002). Got to keep the beast pretty." Have you checked eBay?

steel2569

sam and dob need help! (dave's old bike)

Post by steel2569 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:39 pm

Guys and Gals, I rode the KLR from Memphis to Atlanta, 400 miles yesterday. Along the way, the bike began to make the yayaya noise even more. I began to think it was chain whip. I stoppted in Culman Alabama at the Honda shop and had them tighten the chain. I came the rest of the way, about 200 miles ok but the yaya noise was still there along with what felt like a surge. Today my daughter and I rode to Red Top Mountain state park and on the way back the chain jumped the rear sprocket. Thank the Lord, the read did not lock up. With some effort I got it back on and we made it to her house where I am now. Am I in deep trouble here? I MUST be back in Memphis by 11 am Sunday. Should I see if I can fine a Kawa shop and have the chain replaced? The sprocket looked ok as I looked at it on the side of the road. It has some wear and some shark toothing but not TOO bad. Can I just tighten it up some more? It seems to still have too much play. I did not measure it but it looks like more than 2.5 inches. I also suspect there is a bad link as well because it seems to make a rubbing kinda noise every rotation of the chain. Is the chain Kawa specific? Or can any MC shop put a new one on for me? Help quick guys, I've got to make some decisions asap. I'll know in the morning if there are any shops around and if they can move me to the front of the line or repairs. Thanks much in advance. I'll stay on line via the web group page and see what y'all can come up with. Sez me to her, "For most folks a bike is really an RV. For me it's a V. Sez she to me, "True, but lately all your R is on your V." Regards, Sam currently in Atlanta and needs to leave tomorrow morning.

Gary Parece

Post by Gary Parece » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:59 pm

Hi, It sounds like you could get away with just popping a new chain on and making it home. If the chain that is on there now isn't stock there is a good chance there is a master link, if so buy a new chain of the right size disconnect the old one at the master link then connect the new one to it and pull it thru and around the front sprocket , once you get it thru take the old chain off and connect the new one together w/ a new master link. This is all being done providing the stock sprocket aren't completely shot BUT I would put a new sprocket on as soon as possible. Always a good idea to use new sprockets when replacing the chain Gary Parece 98 concours 101K, 01 VFR 5K 01 DRZ400E,KLR650 2K
----- Original Message ----- From: "steel2569" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:38 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Sam and DOB need help! (Dave's Old Bike) > Guys and Gals, > > I rode the KLR from Memphis to Atlanta, 400 miles yesterday. Along > the way, the bike began to make the yayaya noise even more. I began > to think it was chain whip. I stoppted in Culman Alabama at the > Honda shop and had them tighten the chain. I came the rest of the > way, about 200 miles ok but the yaya noise was still there along with > what felt like a surge. > > Today my daughter and I rode to Red Top Mountain state park and on > the way back the chain jumped the rear sprocket. Thank the Lord, the > read did not lock up. With some effort I got it back on and we made > it to her house where I am now. > > Am I in deep trouble here? I MUST be back in Memphis by 11 am > Sunday. Should I see if I can fine a Kawa shop and have the chain > replaced? The sprocket looked ok as I looked at it on the side of > the road. It has some wear and some shark toothing but not TOO bad. > > Can I just tighten it up some more? It seems to still have too much > play. I did not measure it but it looks like more than 2.5 inches. I > also suspect there is a bad link as well because it seems to make a > rubbing kinda noise every rotation of the chain. > > Is the chain Kawa specific? Or can any MC shop put a new one on for > me? > > Help quick guys, I've got to make some decisions asap. I'll know in > the morning if there are any shops around and if they can move me to > the front of the line or repairs. > > Thanks much in advance. I'll stay on line via the web group page and > see what y'all can come up with. > > Sez me to her, "For most folks a bike is really an RV. For me it's a > V. Sez she to me, "True, but lately all your R is on your V." > > Regards, > Sam currently in Atlanta and needs to leave tomorrow morning. > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >

klr6501995

Post by klr6501995 » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:21 pm

You really need to get a experienced mechanic to observe this problem and fix it. I have run sloppy loose chains and they don't jump. Tight chains are bad. If the rear wheel has ever been off of this bike a critical spacer between the hub and sprocet carrier can easily be lost. I could envision yayayay noises as the spocket wobbles. A thrown chain is deadly serious. Tomorrow is Sat and every shop in town will close at 4pm. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Parece" wrote:
> Hi, It sounds like you could get away with just popping a new chain
on and
> making it home. If the chain that is on there now isn't stock there
is a
> good chance there is a master link, if so buy a new chain of the
right size
> disconnect the old one at the master link then connect the new one
to it and
> pull it thru and around the front sprocket , once you get it thru
take the
> old chain off and connect the new one together w/ a new master link. > This is all being done providing the stock sprocket aren't
completely
> shot BUT I would put a new sprocket on as soon as possible. Always
a good
> idea to use new sprockets when replacing the chain > Gary Parece > 98 concours 101K, 01 VFR 5K > 01 DRZ400E,KLR650 2K > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "steel2569" > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:38 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Sam and DOB need help! (Dave's Old Bike) > > > > Guys and Gals, > > > > I rode the KLR from Memphis to Atlanta, 400 miles yesterday.
Along
> > the way, the bike began to make the yayaya noise even more. I
began
> > to think it was chain whip. I stoppted in Culman Alabama at the > > Honda shop and had them tighten the chain. I came the rest of the > > way, about 200 miles ok but the yaya noise was still there along
with
> > what felt like a surge. > > > > Today my daughter and I rode to Red Top Mountain state park and on > > the way back the chain jumped the rear sprocket. Thank the Lord,
the
> > read did not lock up. With some effort I got it back on and we
made
> > it to her house where I am now. > > > > Am I in deep trouble here? I MUST be back in Memphis by 11 am > > Sunday. Should I see if I can fine a Kawa shop and have the chain > > replaced? The sprocket looked ok as I looked at it on the side of > > the road. It has some wear and some shark toothing but not TOO
bad.
> > > > Can I just tighten it up some more? It seems to still have too
much
> > play. I did not measure it but it looks like more than 2.5
inches. I
> > also suspect there is a bad link as well because it seems to make
a
> > rubbing kinda noise every rotation of the chain. > > > > Is the chain Kawa specific? Or can any MC shop put a new one on
for
> > me? > > > > Help quick guys, I've got to make some decisions asap. I'll know
in
> > the morning if there are any shops around and if they can move me
to
> > the front of the line or repairs. > > > > Thanks much in advance. I'll stay on line via the web group page
and
> > see what y'all can come up with. > > > > Sez me to her, "For most folks a bike is really an RV. For me
it's a
> > V. Sez she to me, "True, but lately all your R is on your V." > > > > Regards, > > Sam currently in Atlanta and needs to leave tomorrow morning. > > > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List
FAQ
> courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > >