emergency supplies

DSN_KLR650
jthiii24283

shrill sound

Post by jthiii24283 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:14 pm

Dear Members: When I turn off my 2004 KLR650 after having run it I sometimes hear a shrill sound that appears to be coming from where the radiator is located. The sound stops after a while (them sometimes restarts and then stops). The sound is not the cooling fan running. My motorcycle is not overheating. Is this sound something to worry about or is it normal? I can hear the sound distinctly when I put my ear on the gas cap. Thank you for your response. Thad Harris jthiii@...

new2klr

shrill sound

Post by new2klr » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:31 pm

Sounds like the pressure release on the gas cap. The gas sloshes around in the tank while you ride, and the gas cap has a valve to relieve the vapor pressure this creates in the tank. Typically it'll last for 10 or 15 seconds, then if you shake the bike (or wait to dismount) it'll go again. It's normal - though your hearing might be above normal!
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "jthiii24283" wrote: > Dear Members: > > When I turn off my 2004 KLR650 after having run it I sometimes hear > a shrill sound that appears to be coming from where the radiator is > located. The sound stops after a while (them sometimes restarts and > then stops). The sound is not the cooling fan running. My > motorcycle is not overheating. Is this sound something to worry > about or is it normal? I can hear the sound distinctly when I put > my ear on the gas cap. > > Thank you for your response. > > Thad Harris > jthiii@n...

Randall

shrill sound

Post by Randall » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:41 pm

What he said Thad. I noticed the same noise after I first got my A16 and put it in the shed, I thought I had a coolant leak or something. But with my ear to the gas cap I decided it had to be a tank pressure release.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "new2klr" wrote: > Sounds like the pressure release on the gas cap. The gas sloshes > around in the tank while you ride, and the gas cap has a valve to > relieve the vapor pressure this creates in the tank. Typically > it'll last for 10 or 15 seconds, then if you shake the bike (or wait > to dismount) it'll go again. It's normal - though your hearing > might be above normal! > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "jthiii24283" wrote: > > Dear Members: > > > > When I turn off my 2004 KLR650 after having run it I sometimes > hear > > a shrill sound that appears to be coming from where the radiator > is > > located. The sound stops after a while (them sometimes restarts > and > > then stops). The sound is not the cooling fan running. My > > motorcycle is not overheating. Is this sound something to worry > > about or is it normal? I can hear the sound distinctly when I put > > my ear on the gas cap. > > > > Thank you for your response. > > > > Thad Harris > > jthiii@n...

Dave Inskeep

shrill sound

Post by Dave Inskeep » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:28 pm

My new '04 does this as well. It appears to be the gas tank venting positive pressure (the gas in the tank is hot and wants to expand) through a small vent in the gas cap. Open the cap and the sound will go away. Close the cap, and the sound will come back. I'm pretty sure it's normal for the gas tank to need to vent when it's hot and the engine's off. I'm not sure that whistling like a teakettle is normal - I assumed that something was partially blocking the vent. But, the sound is evidence that it is venting, so I've just been letting mine whistle, though it is a little discomforting. With the engine running it's creating a negative pressure inside, so there's no vent noise - it's actually drawing air into the tank. I'm about to take mine for the 500 mile service anyway, so I was going to ask them about it. Good to know that I'm not the only one. Dave
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "jthiii24283" wrote: > Dear Members: > > When I turn off my 2004 KLR650 after having run it I sometimes hear > a shrill sound that appears to be coming from where the radiator is > located. The sound stops after a while (them sometimes restarts and > then stops). The sound is not the cooling fan running. My > motorcycle is not overheating. Is this sound something to worry > about or is it normal? I can hear the sound distinctly when I put > my ear on the gas cap. > > Thank you for your response. > > Thad Harris > jthiii@n...

Devon

emergency supplies

Post by Devon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:11 pm

ahhhhkmed@... wrote:
>I'll be picking up a 2000 KLR650 in a week or 2. Any thoughts, on a >minimum toolkit, besides what is in the toolkit,on the bike. It >will be a 1200 mile jaunt, or there abouts. > >
tire irons. bike pump. spare tubes. (can be used for cushioning fragile stuff against vibration in luggage) wrench for front axle (stock kit doesn't have it IIRC) prop stand of some sort (unless you get a centerstand) loctite (blue, medium type). points grease (for greasing electrical connectors). spare clutch and throttle (opening only) cables. extra valve cores (grab these from discarded tubes, discarded tires, etc) small vice grips 6" adjustable wrench (doubles for front axle wrench) 1/4" drive ratchet with 8mm, 10mm, 12mm sockets. Zip ties. duct tape leatherman. Devon Brooklyn