rider magazine article on doohicky?

DSN_KLR650
deadtvs

acerbis rally pro handguards install problem - me too!

Post by deadtvs » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:28 pm

I just bought some Moose guards, and am having the same issue - at least with the brake lever; the clutch lever was broken off when I bought the bike, about three inches are left, and I kind of like it like that, so I left it. But I really would like to get a pair of shorty levers to fit the KLR, if there are any out there. I've checked with a couple of local dealers, and they claim there aren't any made, but these guys have lied to me (many times) before, so I don't much trust that answer. Surely in the almost two decades the bike's been around someone has made some good dogleg levers for it. For the moment, I'm leaving the guards off until I'm convinced there isn't a better lever out there. And all you other guys with aftermarket guards - how have you dealt with this problem? Dan --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jean-Philippe Granger" wrote:
> I need to buy new levers for my bike. If I can get new ones that
will
> allow easier fitting of acerbis hanguards, could be a good idea.
Does
> anybody know of a manufacturer who makes short levers which fit the
KLR?
> Motion Pro's website seems to offer short levers only for cable
brakes
> and clutches. Works for the KLR's clutch, but not for the brake! > > I'd rather buy nice short ones than buy long ones and cut them off > later... :S > > JP Granger > A12 > Montreal > > -----Original Message----- > From: Keith Saltzer [mailto:k.saltzer@c...] > Sent: March 14, 2004 6:34 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Acerbis Rally Pro handguards install
problem
> > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "billshel2003" > wrote: > > I am trying to install the Acerbis Rally Pro handguards on an A13. > I > > got as far as the right side, the handguard isn't big enough to
fit
> > around the brake lever. I have stock handle bars, I don't think > they > > are bent. I have bent the brake lever back, I don't want to bend
it
> > anymore. I don't want to have to cut the ball end off of the
lever,
> > do I? I have tried moving the brake lever mount, still doesn't
fit.
> > It seems my last resort is to start bending the hell out of the > > handguard and hope I can make it fit, and I don't want to have to > do > > that. What's up? Anybody have any input? I'm a little
disappointed,
> > these things were expensive. > > > > Bill > > I have done 2 bikes with the Rally handguards (not the Rally Pro)
and
> have not had any clearance problems. They were CLOSE, but not a > problem. > > It sounds like you have the right idea and are doing what you can. > You just need to work with them some more until you have it. Do a > little of everything and I am sure that you can get them on. I
have
> seen a few guys bikes with different setups and they have in fact
cut
> off the ball ends. Your not pulling on the balls when you brake > anyway. I personally would do that before I bent the levers > themselves. I assume that your bending the lever back towards the > handlebar. IMHO that's not good because now you can't pull the
lever
> back as far as you could before. I have Galfer green pads and > stainless steel braided lines and I still pull the lever back to > within a couple of centimeters of touching the bar when I'm hard > braking (which is alot of the time because of the way I ride) and > during panic stops. > > MrMoose > A8 (Barbie and Ken special) > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html
Unsubscribe by
> sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

bigfatgreenbike

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:44 pm

dan.miller@... wrote:
>snip > > Surely in the almost two decades the >bike's been around someone has made some good dogleg levers for it. >For the moment, I'm leaving the guards off until I'm convinced there >isn't a better lever out there. And all you other guys with >aftermarket guards - how have you dealt with this problem? > >
Put them in a vise and bend them until they fit. The Acerbis rally-pros are VERY easy to do this with. -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

Dale

rider magazine article on doohicky?

Post by Dale » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:25 pm

Can someone remind me which issue of Rider covered the doohicky situation? I'm pretty sure it was during 2003 and I know I have seen it but somehow searching back issues today didn't turn up anything. Same results when I visited Rider's web site. Beautiful riding weather out here in sunny California! I've nearly had this 01 KLR for a year now and I've added 6000 miles and countless smiles here! I haven't managed to get it back to Baja yet but.... Dale in Stockton A-15

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:28 pm

Loosen the brake perch on the handlebars and move it towards the steering stem. Problem solved. Thanks Stu Mumford