nklr protest site

DSN_KLR650
Andrus Chesley

sticking clutch

Post by Andrus Chesley » Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:49 am

Yes , it's an old thingy on this list. Simple solution also. When yu get ready to leave, pull in the clutch lever, blap the throttle a few times, then put it in gear. 99% of the time it breaks the plates loose and lets the engaugement go smooth. Andy Cajun Country

rfcullison

sticking clutch

Post by rfcullison » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:43 pm

rfcullison

sticking clutch

Post by rfcullison » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:47 pm

I am fairly new to the KLR having only had mime about two months, but I have seen a number of references to the sticking clutch as being a normal product of a wet clutch. In all of the other bikes I have owned, I have never had one which bound the clutch up so bad that it lurched forward two feet when I tried to start it in first gear. I know the Honda Hawk GT I have has never reacted in this way. I am wondering, do the members of the list really think this is a normal occurance or is it something that happens more severely with the KLR?

JJNeet1@aol.com

sticking clutch

Post by JJNeet1@aol.com » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:21 pm

I have the same problem with my 2001 KLR250.Literally every time I let it sit overnight or longer,the clutch disks will stick when I first start it up.I have got in the habit of,before I start it,putting it in first gear and letting the cluth out and sitting on the seat and rolling the bike forward and backward until they unstick.Usually two to four times will do it. Jon Neet

rfcullison

sticking clutch

Post by rfcullison » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:35 pm

I am fairly new to the KLR having only had mime about two months, but I have seen a number of references to the sticking clutch as being a normal product of a wet clutch. In all of the other bikes I have owned, I have never had one which bound the clutch up so bad that it lurched forward two feet when I tried to start it in first gear. I know the Honda Hawk GT I have has never reacted in this way. I am wondering, do the members of the list really think this is a normal occurance or is it something that happens more severely with the KLR?

dooden

sticking clutch

Post by dooden » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:22 pm

I am not an expert, and im sure they will pipe in here, but as I understand it, the KLR uses a very heavy clutch system, heavy springs and such (good for long term) but since its like that them springs tend to make the clutch plates basically vacuum sealed after sitting for periods of time. After all pulling in the clutch and rev'ing the motor a bit, is all not that hard, before shifting it into gear. Dooden
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "rfcullison" wrote: > I am fairly new to the KLR having only had mime about two months, but > I have seen a number of references to the sticking clutch as being a > normal product of a wet clutch. In all of the other bikes I have > owned, I have never had one which bound the clutch up so bad that it > lurched forward two feet when I tried to start it in first gear. I > know the Honda Hawk GT I have has never reacted in this way. I am > wondering, do the members of the list really think this is a normal > occurance or is it something that happens more severely with the KLR?

Zachariah Mully

sticking clutch

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:17 am

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 20:47, rfcullison wrote:
> I am fairly new to the KLR having only had mime about two months, but > I have seen a number of references to the sticking clutch as being a > normal product of a wet clutch. In all of the other bikes I have > owned, I have never had one which bound the clutch up so bad that it > lurched forward two feet when I tried to start it in first gear. I > know the Honda Hawk GT I have has never reacted in this way. I am > wondering, do the members of the list really think this is a normal > occurance or is it something that happens more severely with the KLR?
Well, IME, my concours, my KLR, my KZ400 and my R65 all did this to some extent. It might be especially noticeable on the KLR because it uses a clutch common to many larger Kawasaki sport bikes, I think the mid-80's Ninja's all used the same clutch. It's big and it doesn't fail, all good qualities in my book (the KLR is bear to shift clutchless I've found). It also might be a result of the clutch being located lower in the engine, hence further covered by the oil in the sump. A simple solution is to simply roll it forward a couple feet to break the stiction between the plates. Speaking of clutches, has anyone had to replace theirs? At what mileage? Friction plates? Springs? Z ;) DC A2 A5X A11

Arden Kysely

sticking clutch

Post by Arden Kysely » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:50 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Zachariah Mully wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 20:47, rfcullison wrote: > > I am fairly new to the KLR having only had mime about two months,
but
> > I have seen a number of references to the sticking clutch as
being a
> > normal product of a wet clutch.
My VFR clutch sticks, too, but not as badly as the KLR. I start them in neutral, work the clutch a couple of times, and get them rolling down the driveway before putting them in gear. This usually gives me a 'snick' on the VFR and a 'clunk' on the KLR.
> Z wrote: > Speaking of clutches, has anyone had to replace theirs? At what
mileage?
> Friction plates? Springs?
My A1 went 40k miles without any clutch problems. __Arden

guymanbro

sticking clutch

Post by guymanbro » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:20 am

I replaced my clutch (springs and friction plates) at about 12K miles. But the bike was used when I got it, and then both my wife and I learned to ride on it (lotso clutch slipping, especially off-road). I might have gotten away without the springs but as long as I was in there, I figured I'd go ahead and do it. dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Zachariah Mully wrote: > > Speaking of clutches, has anyone had to replace theirs? At what mileage? Friction plates? Springs? > > Z ;) > DC > A2 > A5X > A11

Sonny Bulla

sticking clutch

Post by Sonny Bulla » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:37 am

"rfcullison" asks:
>I am >wondering, do the members of the list really think this is a normal >occurance or is it something that happens more severely with the KLR?
Pretty sure it's just a wet clutch thing in general. All my scoots acted the same way....not as bad in the summer, worse in winter. I just start mine, pull in the clutch, sit and meditate while the engine warms up a bit and stirs the oil around and in about 30 seconds to a minute (depending on the temp), kick it into gear and go. Sonny '02 KLR650 http://home.earthlink.net/~sbulla http://www.louisemandrell.com