montana road information

DSN_KLR650
MMMasters28@hotmail.com

supertrap quiet series and jetting

Post by MMMasters28@hotmail.com » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:20 pm

Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Supertrap Quiet Series
> MMMASTERS28@... wrote: > > > Is there any way to tell if the bike is indeed been jetted differently
than stock?
> > > > > > Open up the carburetor. You can see if the pilot mixture screw has been > moved (with the carb in place) by looking with a small mirror to see if > the anti-tamper plug is removed. Otherwise you need to remove the bowl > and top cover, to see if the main jet and needle has been changed. The > stock main is a 148 Keihin jet, which is a shallow, round slotted jet. A > Dynojet would probably be a 136 or 140, and is also a slotted jet but is > longer than the stock Kawi jet and it has a deep groove around the head > that the Kawi jet doesn't (if I remember correctly). > > The numbers are totally different systems, a 136 Dynojet is about the > same as a 148 Keihin, the 140 Dynojet is similar to a 150 Keihin, the > 150 Dynojet is richer still. The Dynojet needles are longer to > accomodate the different (and adjustable) needle that comes with the > Dynojet kit.
Turns out the bike has been jetted, but not with a K and N jet. It is the Keihin jet number 152. The idle mixture screw has been drilled out. Having been happy with the performance thus far, I left it alone. When I was installing the Supertrapp pipe getting the disc in place was a pain in the arse. My first thought was to install six disc, but one of the short screw would not make contact in the hole, hate when that happens. Ended up stripping the end of the screw. So I went with the maximum number of disc, I think 12 and the long screws. Will rethread the stripped screw tommorrow in case the pipe is too loud.
> The vacuum port on the slide is also supposed to be drilled out with the > DJ kit.
The vaccum port had not been drilled, but I thought about drilling it. Not sure what would happen without upgrading the spring as well. What do you think? Mick A10

robert bowman

montana road information

Post by robert bowman » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:40 pm

On Sunday 16 November 2003 21:55, Bill wrote:
> Robert, where is that spring? I've ridden from Painted Rocks Lake > down to Shoup over Horse Creek Pass and wasn't aware of any springs > there, though I did scare up a a bear coming down into Shoup down > those long switchbacks....
http://www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/Idaho.htm Go to this site, search for Horse Creek Hot Springs. If you click on it, it will bring you to Topozone, or it has the coords if you have DeLorme or some other mapping program. I don't have the paper map, and I'm running Linux and would have to reboot to bring up DeLorme, but if you're heading to ID, it's a right at the pass. There is a little 'campground' near the springs and it can get a little rowdy at night. The Cathedral fire in 2002 was a couple of miles away and I haven't been down since so I don't know what shape the area is in. Happy soaking. I went hot spring hunting down in CA about 15 years ago and most of them out in the Owens Valley were history. Did that ever get any better or is LA still sucking it dry?