ims valdez gas tank durability in crash question #1.1.3

DSN_KLR650
MMMasters28@hotmail.com

supertrap quiet series

Post by MMMasters28@hotmail.com » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:58 am

Hola, I just got my new pipe in and wanted to poll other KLRistas who are running the Supertrapp about how many discs they are running. ( I have the L shaped modified airbox and K and N Filter) Just looking for a baseline. I noticed to that the pipe came with a number for Supertrapp Support. Has anyone called to see what Supertrapp recommends. On a second note, I bought my bike used and it had a Cobra pipe installed on it and a K and N filter. I do not know if it had been jetted, but made some assumpitons with the modification of the airbox I got much enjoyed improved performance. I have other work to do with the bike that requires removing the tank, etc. So I though I would have a good look at the carb while I was in there. Is there any way to tell if the bike is indeed been jetted differently than stock? Thanks, Mick A 10 --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.537 / Virus Database: 332 - Release Date: 11/6/2003 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Devon

supertrap quiet series

Post by Devon » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:19 am

MMMASTERS28@... wrote:
> Is there any way to tell if the bike is indeed been jetted differently than stock? > >
Open up the carburetor. You can see if the pilot mixture screw has been moved (with the carb in place) by looking with a small mirror to see if the anti-tamper plug is removed. Otherwise you need to remove the bowl and top cover, to see if the main jet and needle has been changed. The stock main is a 148 Keihin jet, which is a shallow, round slotted jet. A Dynojet would probably be a 136 or 140, and is also a slotted jet but is longer than the stock Kawi jet and it has a deep groove around the head that the Kawi jet doesn't (if I remember correctly). The numbers are totally different systems, a 136 Dynojet is about the same as a 148 Keihin, the 140 Dynojet is similar to a 150 Keihin, the 150 Dynojet is richer still. The Dynojet needles are longer to accomodate the different (and adjustable) needle that comes with the Dynojet kit. The vacuum port on the slide is also supposed to be drilled out with the DJ kit. Devon

Stu

supertrap quiet series

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:18 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "MMMasters28@h..." wrote:
> Hola, > > I just got my new pipe in and wanted to poll other KLRistas who are
running the Supertrapp about how many discs they are running. ( I have the L shaped modified airbox and K and N Filter) Just looking for a baseline. I noticed to that the pipe came with a number for Supertrapp Support. Has anyone called to see what Supertrapp recommends.
> > On a second note, I bought my bike used and it had a Cobra pipe
installed on it and a K and N filter. I do not know if it had been jetted, but made some assumpitons with the modification of the airbox I got much enjoyed improved performance. I have other work to do with the bike that requires removing the tank, etc. So I though I would have a good look at the carb while I was in there. Is there any way to tell if the bike is indeed been jetted differently than stock?
> > Thanks, > > Mick > A 10 >
Hi Mick, if the bike had those mods and wasn't jetted, it would run leaner than all get out. I got $5 that says the idle mixture screw is set correctly and the carb is jetted and has an adjustable needle (the standard parts of the K&N / Dynojet kit). Good Luck CA Stu

kdxkawboy@aol.com

ims valdez gas tank durability in crash question #1.1.3

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:43 pm

In a message dated 2003-11-12 8:21:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, agi@... writes:
> > And it slide for 100', on the street, in addition to the first summary of > the damage you presented? > > OK, Pete. IMS makes a TUFF tank - it felt like it when I tapped on it w/ a > plastic mallet. > > As to the abrasion on the street slide - WHERE did the wear occur on the > tank and how much material was removed by the asphalt? > > Thanks Pete. You have been incredible in providing information. > > > Mike T > A16 > Las Vegas > >
The tank took very little damage. The worse of the visible damage was a couple of gouges that I'd put in falling in the dirt a few years before. Its interesting, if Kawasaki would extend the radiator shroud back to the front of the seats, they could get a plastic tank certified by the DOT. That is how KTM got their plastic tanks certified doe the street. The tank passed all the DOT tests but the DOT still wouldn't certify the design until KTM came back with the extended shrouds calling technically them gas tank guards. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]