raising handlebars

DSN_KLR650
steveesay2000

klr650b tengai valve trouble.

Post by steveesay2000 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:31 pm

Hi all,never tried this before over the web but here goes. I have a 1989 KLR650 tengai which recently bent both inlet valves at the same time while spinning at a modest 3500 R.P.M. The piston has some small marks, the camchain is intact, the exhaust valves are fine and the wheel on the end of the inlet cam is pegged in the correct position. The camchain tensioner was not even half way out and the chain has very little wear. The bike has 44,000 miles on the clock hence has a bit of piston/bore wear but surely this couldn't have caused the problem. Both sets of valve springs are also fine. Anyone got any ideas as I'd be glad to know! Safe riding Steve

Tengai Mark Van Horn

raising handlebars

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:56 pm

I think Krok once posted that you can get an extra set if clamps and turn them upside-down & use 'em as bar risers. Probably dirt cheap from ronayers.com. However, it's probably just as cheap to go with the Aluminum MSR Dominator ATV bend bars. Mark At 9:53 PM +0000 10/19/03, Stu wrote:
>--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Sig Taylor" >wrote: >> Anyone had experience raising the handlebars? I'd like to get a >> better, more upright seating angle. It's been suggested that it >would >> be quite straightforward to have a metal fabricator make the parts. > > >There is a set of handlebar risers available through Zen motorcycles. >Check the FAQ... >Thanks >CA Stu

Alan L Henderson

klr650b tengai valve trouble.

Post by Alan L Henderson » Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:15 pm

At 08:53 PM 10/19/2003 -0000, you wrote:
>Hi all,never tried this before over the web but here goes. I have a >1989 KLR650 tengai which recently bent both inlet valves at the same >time while spinning at a modest 3500 R.P.M. The piston has some small >marks, the camchain is intact, the exhaust valves are fine and the >wheel on the end of the inlet cam is pegged in the correct position. >The camchain tensioner was not even half way out and the chain has >very little wear. The bike has 44,000 miles on the clock hence has a >bit of piston/bore wear but surely this couldn't have caused the >problem. Both sets of valve springs are also fine. Anyone got any >ideas as I'd be glad to know! > > Safe riding > > Steve
If everything is as it should be it sounds like something may have been ingested bent the valves and is either still there or was blown out the exhaust. Just a thought. Alan Henderson A13 Iowa