fork oil question

DSN_KLR650
patod02703

air filters and such

Post by patod02703 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:37 pm

As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn black' thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it looks dirty, then it is? Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that the filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles, so I let it sit for a while before cleaning it. Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after 500 miles or so? And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set the filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. on fire... So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? Would diesel meet this requirement?

Chris

air filters and such

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:50 pm

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 06:37:55PM -0000, patod02703 wrote:
> And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set the > filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. > on fire... > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement?
Either kerosene or diesel would do the trick and be much safer. You could also clean it with soap and water if you have a slop sink or somewhere to do that. Plain old amonia would cut the oil pretty nicely, might need a couple changes of water though. Lestoil might be another alternative. -- ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ http://www.panix.com/~cesser/mybike/

dooden

air filters and such

Post by dooden » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:07 pm

We are suppose to clean the air filter ? Ut oh... Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "patod02703" wrote: > As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn black' > thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it > looks dirty, then it is? > Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as > opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that the > filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles, so I > let it sit for a while before cleaning it. > Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after 500 > miles or so? > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set the > filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. > on fire... > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement?

ssjarz

air filters and such

Post by ssjarz » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:09 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote:
> We are suppose to clean the air filter ? Ut oh... > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "patod02703"
wrote:
> > As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn
black'
> > thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if
it
> > looks dirty, then it is? > > Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as > > opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that
the
> > filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles,
so I
> > let it sit for a while before cleaning it. > > Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after
> > miles or so? > > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is
a
> > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set
the
> > filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc.
etc.
> > on fire... > > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > > Would diesel meet this requirement?
Two points: 1. If the filter foam looks dirty, it probably IS dirty. Clean it. 2. Either kerosene can be used or manufacturers that make foam oils makes a foam cleaner specifically for foam filters. Regards, ssjarz A8L

leideli

air filters and such

Post by leideli » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:12 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Chris wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 06:37:55PM -0000, patod02703 wrote: > > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is
a
> > no-no,
"Simple Green" cuts through grease pretty miraculously. It is nontoxic, biodegradeable, and smells good too ! I use it on my chain a lot also.(followed by relube) Spray the filter down, put in in a bucket of water, work it thoroughly, rinse, repeat. Let it dry thoroughly before re-oiling.

Russ

air filters and such

Post by Russ » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:49 pm

switch to a no toil oil filter and use no toil chemicals. your life will be easier, your children will get better grades, your 401k account will increase exponentially etc etc etc I use them in all my bikes. they are sooo easy to clean and you do not have to use any nasty solvents. Russ
On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 11:37 AM, patod02703 wrote: > As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn black' > thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it > looks dirty, then it is? > Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as > opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that the > filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles, so I > let it sit for a while before cleaning it. > Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after 500 > miles or so? > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set the > filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. > on fire... > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement? > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

kcuf_oohay_666

air filters and such

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:33 pm

I have a K+N. I clean it every time I do a valve adjustment. The foam ones I did the same unless I rode in the dirt. than I cleaned it right after I got home or soon after --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "patod02703" wrote:
> As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn
black'
> thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it > looks dirty, then it is? > Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as > opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that
the
> filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles, so
I
> let it sit for a while before cleaning it. > Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after 500 > miles or so? > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set
the
> filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. > on fire... > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement?

kcuf_oohay_666

air filters and such

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:04 pm

I forgot to add this to my other post. If you plan on getting another foam filter. Get the Moose brand (part # M762-40-02 - i think). this is the highest quality foam filter i have seen for the KLR. and it doesn't need sealing grease. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "patod02703" wrote:
> As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn
black'
> thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it > looks dirty, then it is?

Thor Lancelot Simon

air filters and such

Post by Thor Lancelot Simon » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:24 pm

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 06:37:55PM -0000, patod02703 wrote:
> > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement?
Laundry detergent works great. Be sure to wash it all out, then let the filter dry completely.

kdxkawboy@aol.com

air filters and such

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:19 pm

The following is the culmination of thirty years experience with cleaning foam air filters - In the beginning I used pump gas. It was what was handy and would clean anything on the bike. But I noticed that when using gas, over time the foam on the filter started to deteriorate. That was about the time my wrenching skills had advanced to the point that that guys working on the log trucks and logging equipment let me start hanging around and I learned that deisil/jet A/kerosene was the preferred solvent as it was also a light oil. Found that while that true of most things it still caused what I felt was deterioration of the foam. So, about eighteen years ago I made the switch to buying the commercially available foam filter cleaners. I found PJ filter cleaner (or similar products) to be best because you sprayed them on and they were septic tank safe. Twin Air sells their cleaner in bulk form but still leaves the solvent to dispose of. Three years ago I made the switch to Notoil. The PJ cleaner is just as easy, but Notoil does it without bad smelling fumes. Notoil is also a cleaner I can use on the road without fear of causing problems with even a Utah inn keeper. From day one I have always used foam filter oil. It has a carrying agent that keeps it thin so that you can get the filter evenly coated throughout and sets up into that all important tacky state that catches the dirt. My filter cleaning schedule differs depending rather we are talking off road miles or pavement miles. If I ride only pavement its no problem to go 6000 miles between cleaning - on my 4500 mile summer trip with about a 1000 miles of dirt in the most perfect dust reducing weather I got by with a single cleaning. But for the most part, my experience has been that around 150-200 off road miles and the dust has started to cake to the outside of the filter. I have a K&N, a Twin Air and three Notoil filters for the KLR and in the height of the dirt riding season I'll swap filers with each ride and spend a single night cleaning and oiling the next batch. For oiling a foam filter the beast, cheap trick is to save the plastic bags you put you fruit and produce in at the store. Using a double bag, pour in the oil, add the filter and start kneading. Keeps you hands clean and you just toss the bags when done. Whew! Pat G'ville, Nv In a message dated 2003-10-17 11:39:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, patod02703@... writes:
> As a kind of follow up to the 'how quickly does your oil turn black' > thread, I'm wondering how long before a clean foam air filter (a) > looks dirty and (b) is actually dirty? Or is it the case that if it > looks dirty, then it is? > Up to now I assumed that using genuine super tacky filter oil, as > opposed to motor oil, gear oil or whatever was handy, meant that the > filter looked dirty in a couple of hundred (street only) miles, so I > let it sit for a while before cleaning it. > Now I'm not so sure..So do you clean it if it looks dirty after 500 > miles or so? > And what do you guys'n'gals clean it with? Apparently gasoline is a > no-no, on the grounds that a backfire through the carb might set the > filter/airbox/motor/entire bike/rider (yikes, that's me!) etc. etc. > on fire... > So what would a low flash point ( readily available) solvent be? > Would diesel meet this requirement? >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]