digest number 4405

DSN_KLR650
ksveader

shopping

Post by ksveader » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:42 pm

Hi! I'm going to look at a '97 KLR tomorow or Thursday (hopefully tomorow). I kinda got a bad KLR last time, but even then it was a great bike. What should I be looking for on this bike to make sure that it's in good shape. I know that some of theses bikes are pampered street bikes and others are transcontinental travelers and thay all look the same after a wash and wax. Thanks guys. I hope to B 1 of U again soon!! ken

ssjarz

shopping

Post by ssjarz » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:17 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "ksveader" wrote:
> Hi! I'm going to look at a '97 KLR tomorow or Thursday (hopefully > tomorow). I kinda got a bad KLR last time, but even then it was a > great bike. What should I be looking for on this bike to make sure > that it's in good shape. I know that some of theses bikes are > pampered street bikes and others are transcontinental travelers > and thay all look the same after a wash and wax. Thanks guys. I > hope to B 1 of U again soon!! > > ken
Look at the chain and sprockets. If the chain is stretched and the sprockets are worn, then ask how many miles on the chain. If the owner doesn't know keep going. Also look up underneath the back fender for long term crude buildup. Run your finger along the disk brakes and feel how smooth the disks are, if they are rough and scored, then someone has been pounding on them too hard. If you really want to get picky, pull the cover off of the front sprocket. If it is relatively clean under there, someone cares. If underneath that cover, there is solid dirt and caked on grease with just enough room for the sprocket to run, you got a beater that no one cared about. Ask if the wheel bearings and swingarm have ever been greased, if not why not. Look for any rewiring that may have been done and not properly. Drive the bike and make sure that it shifts smoothly between first and second gear. If you have a hard time getting the bike into first from second while just rolling, then someone has been beating the bike. Make sure that neutral is relatively easy to find, mine is even though it is 9 years old. Finally ask how often the oil has been changed. Most people know enough to change the oil when they sell a bike so it is hard to tell what the condition of the oil has been on a regular basis. If the oil is BLACK in the sight glass, keep truckin. I bought a bike with all of this wrong, I thought the price was right when I bought it and didn't know any better. I discovered most of this AFTER I got it home. I fixed pretty much everything and my 94 is a great bike after all. Also look for accessories. If the rider has cared enough to add a centerstand, stainless steel brake lines, a radiator guard etc., then someone is at least thinking about the bike and not totally themselves. This is not to say that accessories guarentee that the bike hasn't been abused. Ask how the bike was ridden. Was it taken on the Baha 1000 off road race every year for the last five years? Listen to the answers and what the body language is when the owner talks about the bike. In the end, it is sometimes hard to tell what kind of condition the bike is in from a first look. You have to take a chance when buying used so best of luck. Regards, ssjarz A8L

TM1669@cs.com

shopping

Post by TM1669@cs.com » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:55 pm

In a message dated 10/12/2003 11:19:40 PM Central Daylight Time, stevenkaren@... writes: << If the oil is BLACK in the sight glass, keep truckin. >> The oil in a KLR seems to go black rather quickly so I wouldnt use this as a sign of abuse.

ssjarz

shopping

Post by ssjarz » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:53 pm

Interesting, how many miles does it take for the oil to go really dark. In cars, I tend not to let the oil go that long. I haven't owned my 94 KLR long enough to change the oil. I had planned on between 1k and 2k miles because of the age of the bike etc. ssjarz A8L
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, TM1669@c... wrote: > In a message dated 10/12/2003 11:19:40 PM Central Daylight Time, > stevenkaren@c... writes: > > keep truckin. >> > The oil in a KLR seems to go black rather quickly so I wouldnt use this as > a sign of abuse.

arctec

digest number 4405

Post by arctec » Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:11 am

http://www.accwhse.com/nolan.htm#Helmets%20street has the Nolan for $183 + S&H
> Helmet. With cold weather and Stick Season on the way, I'm > looking to buy the Nolan N-100 flip up helmet. I've been looking for > the best price on the web. Any suggestions to save me some surfing > time? >
bds Lexington, KY