copper canyon mexico next week

DSN_KLR650
Andre Fiedler

airbox mod

Post by Andre Fiedler » Sat Mar 10, 2001 7:43 am

Hey Squasher-What sort of performance difference have you seen with your airbox mod? Is that just a piece of foam that covers the opening? Did you also change anything related to the carburetion, exhaust, etc? Andre

thesquasher@hotmail.com

airbox mod

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:21 pm

I have not noticed any change in performance yet. I just drove it around town and haven't had a chance to get it on the highway for a long run where it may help.The reason I did the mod was because I plan on getting a jet kit and exhaust in the future and Dyno Jet recomends removing the cover all together. I didn't like that idea because dirt would/could get into the airbox. I also didn't want to cut up the air box itself like other people have done. I bought an extra cover from the Kawasaki dealer for around $15.00 U.S. so I could put it back to stock if it didn't work out. I have a 1/2" piece of open cell foam I bought at a motorcycle shop. It's held on in the center by 2 screws and fender washers. I cut the foam 1/4" larger around the outside and installed the cover like it was the stock one. It's a little tight because of the 1/2" foam. The reason I like it this way is because when the side cover is on you can't see any openings but there is still room for air to travel through.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Andre Fiedler" wrote: > Hey Squasher-What sort of performance difference have you seen with your airbox mod? Is that just a piece of foam that covers the opening? Did you also change anything related to the carburetion, exhaust, etc? > Andre

mitch allen

airbox mod

Post by mitch allen » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:00 pm

what would happen if i removed the screen in the airbox behind the air filter? i'm still running the stock jetting and exhaust. thanks __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals. http://personals.yahoo.com

TLrydr@aol.com

airbox mod

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:19 pm

In a message dated 10/9/01 2:03:45 PM EST, klrdualsport@... writes: << what would happen if i removed the screen in the airbox behind the air filter? i'm still running the stock jetting and exhaust. >> Its a back fire screen, So i have been told. Out of the 3 KLRs in my area my KLR is a little faster On the top end, Its also the only one that has the screen out... On a stock bike i might raise the clip up with a washer, Mike

Devon Jarvis

airbox mod

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:31 pm

On certain MuZ bikes (yamaha 5-valve singles, sometime Rotax) you are instructed to NEVER open the throttle while starting- a backfire can ignite the air filter. This happened to somebody on the Thumper list. Devon A15 (stock motor in every way) TLrydr@... wrote:
> > In a message dated 10/9/01 2:03:45 PM EST, klrdualsport@... writes: > > airbox behind the air filter? i'm still running the > stock jetting and exhaust. >> > Its a back fire screen, So i have been told. > Out of the 3 KLRs in my area my > KLR is a little faster > On the top end, Its also the only one that has the screen out... > On a stock bike i might raise the clip up with a washer, > > Mike > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RM

airbox mod

Post by RM » Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:48 pm

--- mitch allen wrote:
>what would happen if i removed the screen in the >airbox behind the air filter?
A few of the little cakes of dirt that, when cleaning, inevitably fall from the filter and from the interior of the box will get into the "wrong" part of the box. I say leave it on. RM http://personals.yahoo.com

MMMasters28@hotmail.com

airbox mod

Post by MMMasters28@hotmail.com » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:28 pm

Hi All, I have a '96 KLR 650 that has a dyno jet installed with a Cobra pipe. I only get about 40 mpgs and was wondering how I might make this a little better. My airbox is not vented or modified in any way though I am running a K & N Filter. Will the bike get better mileage if I vent the air box? If so where do I get the little foam vents to do the mod, or does anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks, Mick --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 9/29/2003

kdxkawboy@aol.com

airbox mod

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:35 pm

In a message dated 2003-10-03 5:30:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, MMMASTERS28@... writes:
> > Hi All, > > I have a '96 KLR 650 that has a dyno jet installed with a Cobra pipe. I > only get about 40 mpgs and was wondering how I might make this a little > better. My airbox is not vented or modified in any way though I am running > a K &N Filter. Will the bike get better mileage if I vent the air box? If > so where do I get the little foam vents to do the mod, or does anyone have > any other suggestions. Thanks, > > Mick > >
You might try leaning the jetting. I ran the same setup, with airbox mods on a 95 and got a solid 50 mpg. Stock, that particular example of a KLR got about 48 pmg. My 99 didn't start out as good. Stock it never did much better than 44 mpg and the same mods got me up to 45-46 mpg. While I don't have any experience with the setup at sea level, up here at 4700' my feeling is the Dynojet recommended jetting is on the rich side. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

thad_carey

airbox mod

Post by thad_carey » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:21 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "MMMasters28@h..." wrote:
> Hi All, > > I have a '96 KLR 650 that has a dyno jet installed with a Cobra
pipe. I
> only get about 40 mpgs and was wondering how I might make this a
little
> better. My airbox is not vented or modified in any way though I am
running
> a K & N Filter. Will the bike get better mileage if I vent the air
box? If
> so where do I get the little foam vents to do the mod, or does
anyone have
> any other suggestions. Thanks, > > Mick
I don't think the KLR fully responds to pipe and air filter mods unless you open the airbox. Have you looked at the opening available for that 100mm piston? Top that off with the fact that there's a fine wire mesh screen adding to the blockage just beyond that easy breathing K&N air filter. I had 3 prior KLRs, 2 of which were heavily modified. They performed somewhat better with air filter and pipe mods, but I was shocked at how this latest bike responded to opening the airbox. It hits over 100mph with relative ease now, and pops the front end into the air much easier than my previous bikes, all with stock gearing. There's also an acceleration improvement that's more than psychological. One of my riding buddies has an A16 to my A15 with the same mods except for the airbox openings. Mine pulls his in every riding situation, and I'm a few pounds heavier. I would really like to get a dyno session on this bike, but there nothing available in my area. If I sound somewhat enthusiastic about my KLR in its present state, you're right. I've been a motorcycle mechanic for 15 years in the past, and I always knew the 650 engine wasn't a GP level powerplant. However, the basic design, though hanging around for awhile now, is not archaic and should be capable of producing decent power for such a large displacement. In fact the large displacement is the reason it needs a good deal of air to produce decent power. I think noise control/regulations is the reason for the very small opening in the airbox. A decibel meter is affected by many things other than exhaust note, and an open airbox adds to the final total. There are 2 good sources that describe where and how to open the airbox and remove the screen. One can be found on Mark's KLR Mods under a title, "Mike's Carb Modification". I don't agree with all of the article, but the airbox mods with your Dynojet kit gets it close. Oddly I wound up with a 158 main jet to get proper plug color and response at wide open throttle. That's higher than anything I would have imagined, but the amount of air it's mixing with is much greater. I still get 45-55 mpg. The other source of info is Dualsportrider.org which also shows a picture and info on the airbox mod. The opening and holes in mine are a little bigger than the one pictured. This is a huge airbox. I don't use the foam plugs on mine as I think the airbox design and the location of the holes under the seat don't expose the filter unreasonably to water or mud. The inner design of the box allows for good draining at a designed low spot away from the filter if some water gets splashed in there. Also I'm not concerned about a fire hazard on this engine without the screen wire. The timing and other characteristics of this motor don't seem to make it prone to being a fire hazard. I've seen very few 4 strokes I've owned or worked on that had this wire screen. Most owners are quite happy with the stock or slightly improved power that the KLR produces. However, if you want a truly noticeable power increase, the 650 needs more air. Thad Carey A15 (but looks like an A9)
> > > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 9/29/2003

kcuf_oohay_666

airbox mod

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:35 pm

just run the bike without the airbox cover. thats the same thing as putting holes in the top of the airbox. I dont know what removing the screen will do. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "MMMasters28@h..." wrote:
> Hi All, > > I have a '96 KLR 650 that has a dyno jet installed with a Cobra
pipe. I
> only get about 40 mpgs and was wondering how I might make this a
little
> better. My airbox is not vented or modified in any way though I am
running
> a K & N Filter. Will the bike get better mileage if I vent the air
box? If
> so where do I get the little foam vents to do the mod, or does
anyone have
> any other suggestions. Thanks, > > Mick > > > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.522 / Virus Database: 320 - Release Date: 9/29/2003