dsn - what does it stand for?

DSN_KLR650
kj_link

which bike to choose....

Post by kj_link » Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:30 pm

I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the wall trying to decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the klr250, and the seat height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered the klr650, but am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. What kind advice can I get that will steer me in the right direction. I was dead set on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local dealers told me today that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 miles on it. Please help a greenhorn!

Jim

which bike to choose....

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:06 pm

How tall/big are you? Have you ridden before? Where do you want to ride: offroad / trails / highway? There are lots of options for lowering a KLR650. But then again if you mostly plan to do trail/offroad riding the 250 may be better suited. Jim
> >Subject: [DSN_klr650] which bike to choose.... > From: "kj_link" > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:19:48 -0000 > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > >I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the wall trying to >decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the klr250, and the seat >height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered the klr650, but >am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. What kind advice >can I get that will steer me in the right direction. I was dead set >on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local dealers told me today >that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 miles on it. >Please help a greenhorn! > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Doug E

which bike to choose....

Post by Doug E » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:40 pm

If you're fairly new to motorcycles, I would err on the side of a smaller bike. You can learn bike handling skills MUCH easier on a small bike. And remember, they say there are only 2 kinds of motorcyclist; the ones that have fallen down, and the ones that are GOING to fall down. (small bikes also don't go as fast. That's good for a newbie) And don't forget to practice counter-steering and panic stops! Good luck! Doug E
> Message: 25 > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:19:48 -0000 > From: "kj_link" > Subject: which bike to choose.... > > I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the > wall trying to > decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the > klr250, and the seat > height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered > the klr650, but > am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. > What kind advice > can I get that will steer me in the right direction. > I was dead set > on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local > dealers told me today > that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 > miles on it. > Please help a greenhorn! >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com

Chris

which bike to choose....

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:45 pm

> I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the wall trying to > decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the klr250, and the seat > height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered the klr650, but > am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. What kind advice > can I get that will steer me in the right direction. I was dead set > on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local dealers told me today > that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 miles on it. > Please help a greenhorn! >
I just started riding again after a 15yr break, I took the MSF beginning rider course and got a KLR650. I LOVE this bike! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a new rider at all except for one thing. How big are you? How tall? Can you flatfoot the bike comfortably? How strong are you? Do you feel comfortable on the bike when it's off it's sidestand, like you can control the weight? I don't feel the power is anything too high for a new rider, the height of the bike though if you aren't big or strong enough can make small slipups a bit interesting to deal with. The KLR250 is lighter and more compact, will be a lot more nimble on trails, will be down on grunt for traffic compared to the 650 though. Depends on where you live and what type of riding you'll do what the choice would be. I live in a pretty congested area, with fairly fast traffic conditions and generally flat trail terrain. I'm happy with the 650. If I was in Manhattan all the time or lived very close to nice offroad riding, the 250's nimbleness would be something I'd have to think about hard, the lower weight is a big plus at lower speeds or tight conditions. Either one could do it, they are both great bikes.
> > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Jim The Canoeist

which bike to choose....

Post by Jim The Canoeist » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:57 pm

Three kinds: Those who have fallen, those who have not yet fallen, and those who will fall again. JW in AZ
----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug E" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Cc: Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 1:40 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: which bike to choose.... > If you're fairly new to motorcycles, I would err on > the side of a smaller bike. > You can learn bike handling skills MUCH easier on a > small bike. > And remember, they say there are only 2 kinds of > motorcyclist; the ones that have fallen down, and the > ones that are GOING to fall down. ..

dumbazz650

which bike to choose....

Post by dumbazz650 » Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:12 pm

I'm hoping I'm in the first category. Hoping, MarkB --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim The Canoeist" wrote:
> Three kinds: Those who have fallen, those who have not yet fallen,
and
> those who will fall again. > JW in AZ > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Doug E" > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Cc: > Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 1:40 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: which bike to choose.... > > > > If you're fairly new to motorcycles, I would err on > > the side of a smaller bike. > > You can learn bike handling skills MUCH easier on a > > small bike. > > And remember, they say there are only 2 kinds of > > motorcyclist; the ones that have fallen down, and the > > ones that are GOING to fall down. > ..

Judson D. Jones

which bike to choose....

Post by Judson D. Jones » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:38 pm

Sorry, Mark, there's really only one category. Just hope the next one gives you a softer landing. Jud (finally healed from the last one) --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "dumbazz650" wrote:
> I'm hoping I'm in the first category. > > Hoping, > MarkB > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim The Canoeist"
> wrote: > > Three kinds: Those who have fallen, those who have not yet
fallen,
> and > > those who will fall again. > > JW in AZ > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Doug E" > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > > Cc: > > Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 1:40 PM > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: which bike to choose.... > > > > > > > If you're fairly new to motorcycles, I would err on > > > the side of a smaller bike. > > > You can learn bike handling skills MUCH easier on a > > > small bike. > > > And remember, they say there are only 2 kinds of > > > motorcyclist; the ones that have fallen down, and the > > > ones that are GOING to fall down. > > ..

Volker Traudt

which bike to choose....

Post by Volker Traudt » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:46 pm

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the bike. I have a KLR250, ride mostly in first gear, narrow local trials, really slow speed (more what they do in trial sport). I like to drive to the trial, but also just tour the neighborhood and unpaved roads. I have not gone on a longer trip than 50 miles. For what I am doing, the 250 is already heavy (yet I certainly like the power/speed when on the highway). For my purpose, a 650 is unthinkable. A low seat is a must for my off road drivig (I "climbed" on a Suzuki DR400, impossible thought for me). If you want a 50/50 bike, plan on touring, consider gravel and forest roads "dirt bike terretory", then the 650 is for you. Being such a durable bike, saving a few bucks on a good used one seems to be a vise choice, they haven't changed much at all since the war. Hope this helps. Volker -----Original Message----- From: sentto-488385-83300-1064950217-vtraudt=compuserve.com@....c om [mailto:sentto-488385-83300-1064950217-vtraudt=compuserve.com@... .yahoo.com] On Behalf Of kj_link Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 3:20 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] which bike to choose.... I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the wall trying to decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the klr250, and the seat height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered the klr650, but am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. What kind advice can I get that will steer me in the right direction. I was dead set on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local dealers told me today that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 miles on it. Please help a greenhorn! List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ART

which bike to choose....

Post by ART » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:32 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Volker Traudt" wrote:
> It all depends on what you plan on doing with the bike. > > I have a KLR250, ride mostly in first gear, narrow local trials,
really slow speed (more what they do in trial sport).
> I like to drive to the trial, but also just tour the neighborhood
and unpaved roads. I have not gone on a longer trip than 50 miles. For what I am doing, the 250 is already heavy (yet I certainly like the power/speed when on the highway). For my purpose, a 650 is unthinkable. A low seat is a must for my off road drivig (I "climbed" on a Suzuki DR400, impossible thought for me).
> > If you want a 50/50 bike, plan on touring, consider gravel and
forest roads "dirt bike terretory", then the 650 is for you. Being such a durable bike, saving a few bucks on a good used one seems to be a vise choice, they haven't changed much at all since the war.
> > Hope this helps. > > Volker
I agree with what is said here, with similar experiences. A low seat heaight and lighter weight is my priority, so I usually end up riding my KLR250 whenever I want to explore around -- for just road-use only, then I might use my 650. But, with the 650, I don't explore any off-road spots, because of the weight -- if I find a new place to explore, I take the 650 back and park it, then take the 250 out. Now, I use the 250 WAY more than my 650 -- if I had to choose just ONE bike, I would have to keep the 250 because it is more versatile (for me) for my type of riding.

kj_link

which bike to choose....

Post by kj_link » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:40 am

Thanks for all the info guys. I am 5"9" with short leg syndrome. Weigh around 205. Very little experience on motorcycles. I am hoping to do 70/30 60/40 road/dirt. I live in Arkansas, and there are plenty of offroad opps around. To get to some places I would have to spend maybe an hour on the highway, although backroads are an option sometimes, jaunts on the interstate will be necessary. Once again, thanks for the feedback.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Jim wrote: > How tall/big are you? Have you ridden before? > > Where do you want to ride: offroad / trails / highway? > > There are lots of options for lowering a KLR650. But then again if you mostly plan to do trail/offroad riding the 250 may be better suited. > > > Jim > > > > >Subject: [DSN_klr650] which bike to choose.... > > From: "kj_link" > > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:19:48 -0000 > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > > >I am a newbie, and am beating my head against the wall trying to > >decide which bike to buy. I have looked at the klr250, and the seat > >height appeals to me a lot. I have also considered the klr650, but > >am concerned that it may be too much bike for me. What kind advice > >can I get that will steer me in the right direction. I was dead set > >on getting a 2004 klr250, but one of the local dealers told me today > >that they have a 2003 klr650 for around 4k, with 626 miles on it. > >Please help a greenhorn! > > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >