lower shroud usage

DSN_KLR650
Ron

digest number 4311

Post by Ron » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:16 pm

Been reading the list now for a couple of weeks and ended up buying an 02 KLR 650. Posted a message about it a few digests back and received some great encouragement and a few ideas. One was to go back to the 15 tooth sprocket and a minor mod to the muffler to remove the 'Herby sound. Both worked well. THANKS Now I have a question: When I first began reading all the data out there for these bikes I though there was no end of the things that could be done. But being an enthusiastic reader and doer - I found that the information is indeed finite. This means at some point I will have come to the end of what can be done to this bike if I don't go broke first. Happily most mods and add ons are dirt cheap compared to the money pit called Harley David$on parked next to the KLR. Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? Ron in Montana KLR 650 AKA Kermit 98 H-D Road King (Toad)

Keith Saltzer

digest number 4311

Post by Keith Saltzer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:28 pm

Uuuuuhhhh, sell the Toad, buy 5 more Kermit's, and rent them out real cheap to us listers for fun in the woods in your area?? MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote: > Been reading the list now for a couple of weeks and ended up buying an 02 > KLR 650. Posted a message about it a few digests back and received some > great encouragement and a few ideas. One was to go back to the 15 tooth > sprocket and a minor mod to the muffler to remove the 'Herby sound. Both > worked well. THANKS > Now I have a question: When I first began reading all the data out there for > these bikes I though there was no end of the things that could be done. But > being an enthusiastic reader and doer - I found that the information is > indeed finite. This means at some point I will have come to the end of what > can be done to this bike if I don't go broke first. > Happily most mods and add ons are dirt cheap compared to the money pit > called Harley David$on parked next to the KLR. > Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done > to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their > "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? > Ron in Montana > KLR 650 AKA Kermit > 98 H-D Road King (Toad)

Bogdan Swider

digest number 4311

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:32 pm

> Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be > done > to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their > "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? >
That point will never come because it doesn't exist. Most of us start with the obvious and necessary improvements like the doohickey and T vent. We learn about these from others. They apply to everyone's ridding style. Latter we personally invent mods that are more esoteric and interest - by and large - few beyond the guy that thought it up. My latest - the more on reserve petcock mod - is easily in the second category. But it's not a finite check list. One mod seems to beget another. Bogdan

Alan L Henderson

digest number 4311

Post by Alan L Henderson » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:01 pm

>Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done >to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their >"do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? >Ron in Montana >KLR 650 AKA Kermit >98 H-D Road King (Toad)
Judging from a few people on the list you start taking stuff back off to lighten the bike. Alan Henderson A13 Iowa

kcuf_oohay_666

digest number 4311

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:38 pm

you clean it paint it change the oil + filter sell it, than buy another one in 6 months because you miss it.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" wrote: > Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done > to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their > "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? > Ron in Montana > KLR 650 AKA Kermit > 98 H-D Road King (Toad)

Krgrife@aol.com

digest number 4311

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:02 pm

In a message dated 9/19/03 4:17:07 PM Central Daylight Time, funyfarm1@... writes:
> Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done > to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their > "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? >
Ride!!!! Kurt Grife [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ted Palmer

digest number 4311

Post by Ted Palmer » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:17 am

Ron wrote: [...]
> Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done > to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their > "do-it-yourself" obsession - then what???
[...] Just ride the damn bike. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

Herm Halbach

digest number 4311

Post by Herm Halbach » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:08 am

Ride, Ride, Ride, .... Relate to your baby! Herm A15 - "Paint" At 03:15 PM 9/19/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Been reading the list now for a couple of weeks and ended up buying an 02 >KLR 650. Posted a message about it a few digests back and received some >great encouragement and a few ideas. One was to go back to the 15 tooth >sprocket and a minor mod to the muffler to remove the 'Herby sound. Both >worked well. THANKS >Now I have a question: When I first began reading all the data out there for >these bikes I though there was no end of the things that could be done. But >being an enthusiastic reader and doer - I found that the information is >indeed finite. This means at some point I will have come to the end of what >can be done to this bike if I don't go broke first. >Happily most mods and add ons are dirt cheap compared to the money pit >called Harley David$on parked next to the KLR. >Anyway - my question is this: When one reaches the end of what can be done >to the KLR but that same individual has not reached the end of their >"do-it-yourself" obsession - then what??? >Ron in Montana >KLR 650 AKA Kermit >98 H-D Road King (Toad) > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ >courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Herm [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kelly Walsh

lower shroud usage

Post by Kelly Walsh » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:53 am

Hi Steve, Not too long after getting my new (A17), I was victim of a hit and run. Not the bad kind, but a shopping cart on a sloped walkway- bike was at end of said walkway. Needless to say, the crappy plastic tabs that the connects the shroud to the radiator frame broke off. I did not notice this until about 3rd gear, when it almost flew off into oncoming traffic (they make lousy frisbees, but can become airborne- kind of like turkeys). So, I bought a replacement (prior to developing a fix for the broken one via epoxy metal brackets and JB Weld) for 60 bucks, to find that they do not come with graphics. I should have realized that, but c'est la vie. Now I will have an extra shroud, but the fix should keep this from happening again. If anyone is interested, I will post the final "procedure" when I have finished. Good luck! Kelly Walsh Santa Fe, NM A17 '81 gPZ 550