starter testing

DSN_KLR650
glucovite

tubeless tires ok?

Post by glucovite » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:22 pm

Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I return them? Carsten

Keith Saltzer

tubeless tires ok?

Post by Keith Saltzer » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:45 pm

I don't know about TKC's, but my Avon Gripsters are tubeless, and my local shop mounted them up for me. In fact, I don't think they come in a tube required form. I remember reading somewhere, (tireunlimited website I think) that they are tubeless, and if you have tube type rims, to go ahead and use tubes. Like I said, I don't know your brand, so call or check with the shop that you are going to have mount them. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "glucovite" wrote: > Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti > TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for > sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I > return them? > Carsten

Mark Sampson

tubeless tires ok?

Post by Mark Sampson » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:00 am

Does anybody have experience or know for sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? It's the proper procedure to fit a tube to a tubeless tire if the rim requires a tube type tire------and the KLR rim does require a tube. Mark Sampson www.bigdogadventures.com

ART

tubeless tires ok?

Post by ART » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:09 am

All the H-D bikes use tubeless tires on their cast wheels bikes, and the same tires (with a tube) when using a spoked wheel. That's what I have on my Sportser. So you should be okay, I would guess. Art
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "glucovite" wrote: > Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for> sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I return them? > Carsten

dooden

tubeless tires ok?

Post by dooden » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:19 am

Somewhere in my scattered memory I seem to recall tubeless tires having a different bead than a tube type tire. This might be car tires I am thinking about from days gone by however, and it seemed to me tubeless tires on tube type rims was ok, but tube tires on a tubeless rim was a no go. FWIW I stuffed a tube in my lawn tractors tubeless tire, since it had a slow leak, and I was'nt about to attempt reseating that bead again on them little 8" rims.. WHAT A PAIN IN THE @$$, had the dealer do it, he giggled and showed me his trick. Custom made nozzle that delivered a "hellalot" of air very quickly. When I asked him how much I owed him he looked almost offended and said "sorry we do not charge for air". Gotta love small towns, and now if I need anything I stop there and give them the chance to supply it before heading elsewhere. So he gained a customer (despite me being a cheap@$$) at least I will get the parts from him to effect repairs. Dooden A15 Green Ape Oh man.. high of 75 today, sunshine and I gotta @#%#$^#@$% work....
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sampson" wrote: > Does anybody have experience or know for > sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? > > It's the proper procedure to fit a tube to a tubeless tire if the rim > requires a tube type tire------and the KLR rim does require a tube. > > Mark Sampson > www.bigdogadventures.com

ART

tubeless tires ok?

Post by ART » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:27 am

You might be thinking about different tubeless RIMS on the wheels.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > Somewhere in my scattered memory I seem to recall tubeless tires > having a different bead than a tube type tire.

hens_p

tubeless tires ok?

Post by hens_p » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:19 am

You can use tubeless tire with the KLR rims, but you will need to use a tube. Pat @...
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "glucovite" wrote: > Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti > TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for > sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I > return them? > Carsten

Apex

tubeless tires ok?

Post by Apex » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:46 am

<" Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I

Carsten Smidt

tubeless tires ok?

Post by Carsten Smidt » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:52 pm

Thanks, Stuart. That's what I hear from everyone. Carsten
>>> "Stuart Mumford" 08/22/03 12:41PM >>>
Yo Carsten! Run them with a tube. KLR rims aren't air tight, I reckon. I have a TKC 80 on the bask, with a tube in it. Thanks CA Stu
> -----Original Message-----
Although I didn't order them tubeless, I got a pair of tubeless Conti TKC 80 tires for my KLR 650. Does anybody have experience or know for sure if it's safe and OK to use the tires with a tube? Or should I return them? Carsten

Chris Krok

starter testing

Post by Chris Krok » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:07 pm

> From: Devon Jarvis > Subject: Re: starter motor inspection > What sort of voltage would I expect if the starter was > turning? I guess anything over "none" would indicate a > problem?
Pretty much... If you test with the engine running, the voltage could actually be much higher than 12V, since you would be spinning the motor much faster than it normally runs. I'm not sure what the reciporocal relationship is there. It will put out a pulsing DC signal, which you can read with an analog DC meter, but a digital meter may need to be on the AC range like orc37 mentioned. C PS Vendor Friday, so buy my stuff at http://www.bigcee.com! -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125